Sierra Diverse

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Just curious to see if anybody's tried the new Sierra Diverse kit from Berea. As if I didn't have enough different pen types already, I've ordered a few to try out. It looks like a slightly thinner version of the stock Sierra, with a finial twist.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LouCee

I had not even seen this new version yet. I used to get emails from Berea but haven't seen one for awhile, not sure what happened. I think it looks pretty good, might have to try a few. I like the finial and that it's a finial twist. The plating option I like the best is the chrome and gunmetal, the one with more chrome than gunmetal. Let us know what you think after you do one.

JUICEDSS

OK, the tube is shorter although the overall length of the pen is longer than a traditional Sierra by about 1/8". (The 3rd pic shows side by side) As I mentioned before, the tube is 13/32". Assembly is very simple and straight forward. The hardware quality seems very good. Plating is quality as well.

To me, this style fits my hand better than the regular Sierra. It feels meatier to me. My fingers always seem to slide on the other Sierra and I have to keep re-gripping. It's probably just in my head because they look to be the same size width. I'll measure the bushings next time I'm in the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 151

magpens

I see ... the tube IS shorter ... as your picture shows. Looks to be closer to 2" whereas the original is 2.21", if I recall correctly.

And dropping the drill size from 27/64" (0.422") to 13/32" (0.406") is a step in the right direction, but not a big enough step ... only 16 thou.

One of the shortcomings of the original design is the thinness of the finished blank where it meets the hardware. . The drill size change would increase the blank wall thickness, but by only 8 thou, and that is not going to make much of a difference. . I don't see any reason for them not dropping the drill size to 3/8" or even smaller, thereby giving more meat on the blank to accommodate easier casting of objects like watch parts.

I hope they did not also decrease the hardware diameter (where it meets the blank).

stuckinohio

Thanks for posting. Didn't know the kit existed.

Can anyone post the diameter of the pen hardware or bushings? Of course the instructions don't list it.

I like the shape and design of the pen better than the sierra.

flyitfast

Well done on the pen and thanks for posting the pics.
Like the shape and blank, but sadly, there is more metal than material. I like to turn, not assemble.
Gordon

Top Bottom