Shipment arriving today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnnyJeep

Here's where I stand today. Have my lathe. Seems to work well as of now. My chisels are actually harbor freight wood chisels. Turned a few blocks into cylinders just to play around until proper chisels arrive- which is today. I chose carbide so I can focus on turning and not sharpening. Good HSS will be ordered as I find good ones. Also arriving today is a mandrel kit, bulk ( think 10) slimline kits, extra bushings. Think I'm ready to start. Today's question is, I've read that I need extra bushings. Why? Do they get destroyed easily? Or maybe not easily but frequently?
I just realized I didn't get a press. I'll have to get one, but for now, I'm more focused on the turning and have seen ways of pressing with other tools I have. I'll get the press and chuck jaws this week after some more research.
I am finding out that the first pen is very expensive!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

During final sizing or sanding bushings may be damaged (I've been told o_O ). Avoid hitting the bushings and they will last a long time. I would suggest having extra tubes on hand just in case. If you think the first pen was expensive, just wait until you find stabilizing, casting, kitless, and on and on. Enjoy.

Alan Morrison

When you say that you need a press do you mean a drill press or a press to assemble pens?
If you want to save money then neither are needed for pens.
Drill your blanks on nthe lathe which is very accurate.
Press the kit on your bench vice, or use clamps.
When turning 7mm pens I still use the bushes that I used 3 years ago.

Hope that this was helpful.
Alan

howsitwork

Have a play first and enjoy it. Make some pens, especially for SWMBO ! Then start compiling a "Presents list" for friends and family. It'll save YOU a fortune 😉🤣

J_B

I second what Alan stated. I too use a bench vise to press my pens together so dont fret about a press. Learn first on what you have and think twice before you pull the trigger on anything...you can get into a deep dark financial hole real quick. When you you are ready maybe 6months to a year, only go with Thompson Tools IMHO.

JohnnyJeep

Was talking about the pen press. But my drill press is still buried in storage. Was planning on using the lathe for both. And mike, what you are saying is they are like 10mm sockets! And I did get extra tubes just in case. Thanks

WriteON

PSI PEN PRESS works great on the lathe.

Attachments

• D1726677-6E54-4A46-8092-5FA0352A8386.jpeg
    D1726677-6E54-4A46-8092-5FA0352A8386.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 69

NGLJ

I use a pen press for assembly partly because my bench vise needs some tlc and when I started out I didn't think about using my lathe. I do everything else on my lathe.

Jans husband

I find the best time to assemble a pen is after the lathe is put to bed for the day, and you can sit in the kitchen after a shower with a pen press and a beer.
Mike

penicillin

Extra Slimline Bushings:
I always recommend that beginners buy extra Slimline bushings. They are cheap. In addition to using them as bushings for pens in the Slimline family, I also use them as spacers. Sometimes it helps to move the pen blank one slimline bushing away from the headstock or tailstock. You will definitely need the Slimline bushing spacers if you use the pen mandrel with the round gold knurled nut on the end. (I prefer a live "mandrel saver" instead of the knurled nut.) Slimline bushings are small, and tend to get lost in the sawdust or sucked into the shop vac. It doesn't hurt to have a few extras for that reason, too.

Pen Assembly Tools:
I tried my drill press first (total failure, not recommended). I have used many different types of pen press. They all work fine and I recommend them for those who want a separate assembly tool, which I don't. Instead, I use small, simple plastic pen assembly adapters on my lathe. I store them under the lathe bed in a small basket with the spur drives and live centers, where they are always convenient. They work great:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/lathe-pen-press-adapters-2-mt

(Hint: One of the two pieces has a hole that seems ideal for centering and pressing pen tips. The hole can leave dents in the pen tip if you press too hard, so I prefer to use the end without the hole to press in pen tips. It works perfectly.)

Not Asked - Non-Stick Pen Bushings:
If you are not careful during woodturning or sanding, your tool or sandpaper can contact the bushings and abrade some of the metal off. That's especially true if your sandpaper touches the metal bushing. The result can be darkened ends on your pen blanks, as the fine metal dust is irretrievably embedded in the wood and then covered with finish. Furthermore, it reduces the size of the bushings, so they are no longer accurate.

When I am ready to sand my pen blank(s), I stop the lathe and replace the metal bushings with the non-stick cone-shaped plastic ones. This lets you sand the entire blank without worrying about sanding metal dust from the bushings and getting it on your pen blanks. The problem is that you must be very careful to avoid letting the sandpaper get beyond the edge of the pen blank. Do not allow the sandpaper to round over the end of the pen blank, especially considering how much work you invested to match it to the bushing.

The non-stick pen bushings are great for CA finishes, too. The metal bushings can be a pain to remove if the CA finish grabs them. Some people make their own from plastic rods, turning them to shape on the lathe. Here are examples where you can buy them:
https://www.rockler.com/non-stick-pen-bushings-for-ca-finish
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/hold-fast-non-stick-bushings-for-ca-pen-finishing
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=non-stick+pen+bushings&dc&ref=a9_asc_1

Top Bottom