Pen #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGVPens

I finished this Elegant Sierra pen in Amboyna while watching NASCAR this afternoon. I really liked the wood on this one!

I had a turkey breast on the smoker and some close friends came over for cocktails and dinner. I showed it to them and she fell in love with it...and wanted to buy it! So I gave it to her when they left!

I've got one more piece of Amboyna, thanks John, so I'll make another. This pen making could be addicting... šŸ¤£

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 128
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGVPens

Thanks, I like the wood also!
The turkey was awesome! I normally don't like white meat as I think it's dry. I mixed a stick of butter with a lot of rub, Meat Church Holy Gospel, and shoved it under the skin. Then let it set in the frig overnight. Today I covered it with more rub and put it in, the RecTeq, for 1 1/4 hour on "super smoke" around 180*. Then bumped it up to 225* for about 3 1/2 hours, pulled it off at 156*, covered with foil while we had cocktails, and carved at 165.

WriteON

Another nice pen, Good show. Addicting?.... We'd say run now but it's too late. Here's what to watch for... You give a pen away and they want one or 2-3 for family, boss, work associates. Be prepared.....and get a part time job.

RGVPens

Very nice work !!!

The Amboyna is second to none !! . . And that pen kit is one of my " Most Highly Recommended "
Thank you!
I had never heard of that wood before...but I really like the way it turned out. I have one more piece that I prepared last night, I'll finish it this morning. I think I'll order some more of that kit today as I like the overall look of the finished pen.

JohnU

Amboyna is also one of my favorites to turn. You did great! Very elegant looking and beautifully done! Can't wait to see the next!

RGVPens

Amboyna is also one of my favorites to turn. You did great! Very elegant looking and beautifully done! Can't wait to see the next!
Thank you John! I was turning the other piece this morning and a little spot blew out :(
I might just put it back on the lathe and finish it for myself.

I may try an Alumilite blank next. Any special difference ? Or just do the same as wood?

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 49

JohnU

You might be able to build that blow out up with some sanding dust snd CA. Worth a try. You shouldn't have a problem with the alumilite. Just take your time, use sharp tools and light touches until you get the feel of it. Alumilite turns very smoothly. It's probably the least brittle and easiest to turn of them acrylics in my opinion.

Top Bottom