Shaving brushes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vferdman

vferdman

I have created a brush in Turquoise and Coral Tru-Stone. this is my forst time turning Tru-Stone and I am very impressed with this material. It actually feels like stone in hand. It's colder, heavier and just conveys the stone feeling in general. Turns about the same as resin. Very, very beautiful stuff if you enjoy the stone. Polishes to a high gloss very well and is a joy to behold.

Brush Dimensions (approximate):

Total height: 93mm
Handle: 45mm
Loft: 48mm
Knot: 25mm Bulb shape

kVXZTtE.jpg

xtxB7h0.jpg

jCRl6A6.jpg

CgBQXav.jpg

Qo5N7YG.jpg

vferdman

I have created a new brush with a Dymnodwood handle. The Pattern is called Royal Jacaranda and I chose to turn the blank in an unusual way for Dymondwood. Rather than having the layers oriented in a vertical axis I chose to turn them oriented in a horizontal axis. This has the effect of creating horizontal 1/16" wide stripes. I think this is an interesting and different way to turn Dymondwood. I like the way it turned out. This is a fairly large brush (28mm knot) and is in the Chubby style.

Total height: 102mm
Handle: 51mm
Loft: 51mm
Knot: 29mm bulb shape

D45AaNB.jpg

2qhbSHv.jpg

Fg7LZbp.jpg

RrPeZAG.jpg

9oSPDSv.jpg

U5PzsbC.jpg

Katya

I'm just finishing up my first shaving brush- will be a gift for my husband on Father's Day.
Purchased the kit from PSI using a mandrel.. like your profiles much better!<g>.
I bought supposedly the "best" (most expensive) badger brush knot from PSI.. would like to know what you do to yours to clean them before joining them to the handle. And do you use epoxy? My set will be made from spalted, stabilized maple. Turns like plastic- which is mostly is, now. Suggestions?

vferdman

I'm just finishing up my first shaving brush- will be a gift for my husband on Father's Day.
Purchased the kit from PSI using a mandrel.. like your profiles much better!<g>.
I bought supposedly the "best" (most expensive) badger brush knot from PSI.. would like to know what you do to yours to clean them before joining them to the handle. And do you use epoxy? My set will be made from spalted, stabilized maple. Turns like plastic- which is mostly is, now. Suggestions?

Very nice of you to make such a cool gift for your husband. I am sorry for responding so late. I have not been keeping up with my online life :)

I do use epoxy to glue the knots into handles. I do not clean the knots before installing them I do it after the brush is complete. I use some shampoo or hand soap to gently wash the knot a few times first and then I use one of my shaving soaps to test lather the brush. Then I let dry fully and take pictures. I would not buy knots from PSI or any other source I don't know as a good source of badger shaving brush knots. I get mine from The Golden Nib (TGN) and only buy their two band finest knots. They used to be very consistently excellent, but now they can be hit or miss. One thing about TGN is they have excellent customer service and take care of returns and exchanges without much ado.

Hope your brush turned out great and your husband enjoys it. It is a sweet gift and I am sure he will appreciate it.

--
Vladimir

vferdman

Another brush made for a custom order. This customer did not want me to glue the knot in so he could use a less permanent adhesive to possibly change the knot in the future. He also provided the two band finest knot. This one is made with acrylester resin called "Black Peacock". It's amazingly beautiful and really defies being photographed properly. There is a lot of light play in this one and still photography just does not do it justice.

Total height: 105mm
Handle: 55mm
Loft: 50mm
Knot: 28mm bulb shape

JKBzSow.jpg

U1DRXOD.jpg

XwaKlAe.jpg

aJ1D7AH.jpg

3P4UmZB.jpg

TfpUaDF.jpg

7imXmGz.jpg

yngJi41.jpg

vferdman

Another custom order is complete. This one is in "Bronze" resin, but looks a lot more like actual copper color. Very pretty. The knot is TGN Silvertip Grade A. I rarely use anything other than TGN two band finest, but I must say, this knot is very good. It is more like the two band type hair in terms of sturdiness and is very soft. It's pricier than the two band finest, but sure is nice.

Approximate dimensions:

Total height: 103mm
Handle height: 55mm
Loft height: 48mm
Knot: 26mm

ptnlj9z.jpg

Cv6VRA0.jpg

59nOX2q.jpg

mBjk6A4.jpg

vcTKw0W.jpg

Xo4at8D.jpg

p4lSB3H.jpg

RdOTxO1.jpg

wood-of-1kind

Beautiful work as are ALL your brushes. As a man that does not like to shave, I do envy the fine work that you kindly share in this thread. Keep up the good work.

vferdman

Beautiful work as are ALL your brushes. As a man that does not like to shave, I do envy the fine work that you kindly share in this thread. Keep up the good work.

Ha-ha. I did not like to shave before I started wet shaving with a good quality shaving brush, good quality shaving soap and an old fashioned DE safety razor. Now I look forward to my shaves. And the love of shaving brushes has come from my love to shave with them.

Cheers!

vferdman

I have created two new brushes. One for a custom order and one for my Etsy store.

First, here is the new addition to my Etsy store inventory. This one is made of faux horn resin. Very beautiful material made in Germany. I made this one quite tall. The knot is TGN two band finest.

Total height: 114mm
Handle: 65mm
Loft: 49mm
Knot: 27mm bulb shape

snf6VPA.jpg

6QnRRAx.jpg

Mysomf4.jpg

LHcIGWg.jpg

oQ4O9zy.jpg

vferdman

Here is the custom order brush I made for a fellow in Belarus. This one is made with Black Peacock resin that I am really liking. The knot is TGN two band finest.

Handle: 57mm
Knot: 24mm bulb shape

91RpL5i.jpg

JTUvnxn.jpg

AYGpcPr.jpg

Sy1Aq0q.jpg

3TrklGB.jpg

JD Combs Sr

You make some great looking brushes. This post is very timely for me. Have not seen your posts before. My youngest Sister asked me earlier this year to make her a shaving brush holder/stand as a gift for her husband. I have finished the stand and over the past week or so was thinking of maybe including a nice custom made brush with it. Had been researching brush knot types and was wondering how the knot is secured into the handle. Never used one myself, I am an rotary electric type of guy:biggrin:, tried razors and lather in my younger years but preferred the triple header electrics. Any way I was wondering if you might know of a tutorial available for make the brushes or perhaps you could provide some detail on your method.

Again those are some great looking brushes and I have scanned through most of the entire thread.

vferdman

You make some great looking brushes. This post is very timely for me. Have not seen your posts before. My youngest Sister asked me earlier this year to make her a shaving brush holder/stand as a gift for her husband. I have finished the stand and over the past week or so was thinking of maybe including a nice custom made brush with it. Had been researching brush knot types and was wondering how the knot is secured into the handle. Never used one myself, I am an rotary electric type of guy:biggrin:, tried razors and lather in my younger years but preferred the triple header electrics. Any way I was wondering if you might know of a tutorial available for make the brushes or perhaps you could provide some detail on your method.

Again those are some great looking brushes and I have scanned through most of the entire thread.

Hi. The knot is secured using 5 minute epoxy. I usually drill the knot hole with a forstner bit a bit smaller than what the final opening will be. For a 24mm brush I drill with 7/8" bit. I go down about 15mm-17mm as most knots sit about that deep in the handle. After the knot hole is drilled I drill a 11/32 hole at the bottom of the knot hole. That is about 15mm deep. I cut some threads with my 3/8 tap in that and mount it in the lathe using a chuck I made with a 3/8 bolt embedded into a piece of ash I turned true on the lathe and shaped into a cone shape to make it easier to shape the handle once mounted. I use tail stock without the point to shape the handle axially and then when I am done with that I remove the tail stock and even out the bottom of the handle and usually dish it out a bit making a very shallow bowl at the bottom. That prevents the brush from sliding on a wet surface, but is not strictly necessary. Once all rough turning is complete I take the handle off the lathe and adjust the knot opening to fit the individual knot I have for it. Then back to the lathe for sanding and polishing. I use progressive sand paper grits up to 1500 with resin, then hit it with plastic polish. With wood I do a similar coat as on pens using CA and sand and polish that as on a pen.

Hope that helps!

--
Vladimir

JD Combs Sr

Hi. The knot is secured using 5 minute epoxy. I usually drill the knot hole with a forstner bit a bit smaller than what the final opening will be. For a 24mm brush I drill with 7/8" bit. I go down about 15mm-17mm as most knots sit about that deep in the handle. After the knot hole is drilled I drill a 11/32 hole at the bottom of the knot hole. That is about 15mm deep. I cut some threads with my 3/8 tap in that and mount it in the lathe using a chuck I made with a 3/8 bolt embedded into a piece of ash I turned true on the lathe and shaped into a cone shape to make it easier to shape the handle once mounted. I use tail stock without the point to shape the handle axially and then when I am done with that I remove the tail stock and even out the bottom of the handle and usually dish it out a bit making a very shallow bowl at the bottom. That prevents the brush from sliding on a wet surface, but is not strictly necessary. Once all rough turning is complete I take the handle off the lathe and adjust the knot opening to fit the individual knot I have for it. Then back to the lathe for sanding and polishing. I use progressive sand paper grits up to 1500 with resin, then hit it with plastic polish. With wood I do a similar coat as on pens using CA and sand and polish that as on a pen.

Hope that helps!

--
Vladimir
Thanks Vladimir, that tells me everything I need to know, as I noted I don't use brushes myself but thought I would make one for a Brother-in-Law that uses them. Thanks again for the info.

vferdman

Thanks Vladimir, that tells me everything I need to know, as I noted I don't use brushes myself but thought I would make one for a Brother-in-Law that uses them. Thanks again for the info.

Glad I could help. One thing, though. If you do not use a shaving brush it will be really hard for you to make a really good brush as you do not know what attributes are important in a good shaving brush. There is the type of knot, the height you set the loft at, the radius of the opening in the handle, the ratio of the opening radius to the loft height. I could throw numbers at you, but in reality, every knot is unique and requires individual attention. At the end of the day, it's the thought that counts, I guess and a really nice looking brush will be a very good gift to a person who uses such a thing.

Best of luck!

--
Vladimir

darrin1200

Great little tutorial Vladimir.

Are there any dimensions that should be kept standard? Like the little cove for hanging in a brush holder, handle diameter or handle length.

Thanks

vferdman

Great little tutorial Vladimir.

Are there any dimensions that should be kept standard? Like the little cove for hanging in a brush holder, handle diameter or handle length.

Thanks

No, no standards whatsoever. Brush hangers come in different sizes and really are not necessary. Brushes can be stored standing up. They dry just fine that way as long as most of the water is shaken out of them. Knot and loft dimensions are also completely up to the user as well as the type of knot.

vferdman

I have created a new brush from a material new to me. It is resin stabilized spalted maple. This brush is made with blue resin stabilized wood, which is absolutely gorgeous. I finished it with multiple (9-12) coats of CA and polished it to a high gloss.

Total height: 109mm
Handle: 59mm
Loft: 50mm
Knot: 26mm bulb shape

hbW8D3d.jpg

AnY5b7k.jpg

9I6RtdI.jpg

0KVDdsU.jpg

HvQtXET.jpg

vferdman

I have created a new brush for my Etsy store. This one is made with a very popular Black Peacock resin and TGN two band finest badger. I decided to make a design that is a little different than my usual renditions of classics like M7, Chubby, etc. This one is loosely based on Ever-Ready hour glass handles of old that I like a lot. I find this shape is very comfortable and this particular handle is no exception. In test lathering it I found it very comfortable. I hope you like it.

Total height: 109mm
Handle: 60mm
Knot: 27mm Bulb shape

2tnTxIK.jpg

7NAcG9o.jpg

78fFDMA.jpg

vQgXKYB.jpg

O1MdsLu.jpg

vferdman

I have created some new brushes for my Etsy Store.

It's been a while since I made a butterscotch brush, so here it is. Beautiful material and TGN two band finest that is still very good quality and value. The knot on this one is perfectly shaped and feels great.

Total height: 96mm
Handle: 48mm

NnIUmwY.jpg

ZcvSruG.jpg

cRYKVC2.jpg

l5DMmxq.jpg

obM5bHB.jpg

vferdman

Next up is a brush in "Black Olive" resin. This material has quickly become very popular and for a good reason. It is gorgeous. Very difficult to describe or photograph, but in person it is just a beautiful resin. If you like black brush handles, you will probably love this one. TGN two band finest knot in fan shape is excellent and passed my tough selection process.

Total height: 99mm
Handle: 51mm
Knot: 27mm Fan shape

6jwMfdz.jpg

OTCDqAD.jpg

GEO8G49.jpg

vSYDqK9.jpg

swncdvQ.jpg

vferdman

I have created a brush made with South African Ebony. This is a smaller brush, good for traveling or everyday use. TN two band finest knot of my selection.

Total height: 95mm
Handle: 53mm
Loft: 42mm
Knot: 24mm bulb shape

LgrtpVG.jpg

cqZTRXs.jpg

4Zh7FGF.jpg

z3mRgMK.jpg

XVkY3uf.jpg

vferdman

I have created a brush for a custom order. This one is made with Burmese Blackwood and TGN two band finest knot. The wood is finished in multiple coats of CA polished to a high shine. The TGN knots I have received in my latest shipment are reminiscent of the older TGN knots that made TGN so popular. These are beautifully shaped and very dense two band knots with great looking colors.

Approximate dimensions of the brush:

Total height: 124mm
Handle height: 75mm
Loft height: 49mm
Knot: 28mm bulb shape

As can be seen from the last picture, the brush is large and towers over a SOC two band.

Bpajz6a.jpg

1QmYE4I.jpg

RFy9FLR.jpg

5CuJy8x.jpg

qD1jMuc.jpg

mM9kUpD.jpg

vferdman

Another custom order and another Burmese Blackwood handle. This time with a customer-provided two band fan-shaped knot.

Dimensions (approximate):

Total height: 118mm
Handle height: 71mm
Loft height: 47mm
Knot: 28mm

9Bf6EKN.jpg

R38JYd6.jpg

MzQcy1X.jpg

kS6Uzmm.jpg

wNAZJhM.jpg

LfOOUSV.jpg

OiGPtSa.jpg

vferdman

I have created a Boar brush for a custom order. This one is made with three different resins: Black Olive, Antique Gold and Watery Abyss. It is styled as a longer barber brush and uses a wonderful blond boar from Omega.

The approximate dimensions are:

Total height: 141mm
Handle height: 81mm
Loft height: 60mm
Knot: 28mm

L4v2Vqn.jpg

rNW559d.jpg

gOuuJcC.jpg

6OkBbWo.jpg

62TIqsE.jpg

vferdman

I have created a brush that will have 6 more like it for a group buy in Lithuanian knife forum. The request was to make a brush with the colors of Lithuanian flag: Yellow (Sun), Green (Nature), Red (Blood). There are going to be three boar brushes, one synthetic and three two band finest badger. The butt of the handle contains a rare Earth magnet for hanging the brush on metal surfaces. The orientation of the flag is right side up when the brush is suspended by the magnet. The first of the seven brushes is done and it sports an Omega boar knot. Handle material is color resin stabilized spalted maple that I cut from different color blanks to create the tricolor pattern desired.

Approximate dimensions are:

Total height: 100mm
Handle height: 51mm
Knot: 25mm

80o2I7d.jpg

OfLLnER.jpg

KfoO4Af.jpg

KB6sOna.jpg

vferdman

I have created another brush for a custom order. This one is in Faux Ivory and TGN two band finest badger.

Dimensions:

Total height: 101mm
Loft height: 50mm
Knot: 27mm bulb shaped

qc3fIEC.jpg

sjVmelw.jpg

5q9Cut4.jpg

EzTGvVM.jpg

vferdman

I have created a new shaving brush for my ETSY shop. This one is special as I am experimenting with combining different resins in one handle. I think this one came out very beautifully. It's a taller handle in Barber's Brush style. The knot is the latest version of TGN two band finest, which I find very good. Dense, very well shaped and beautiful sturdy hair with soft tips.

Total height: 125mm
Handle: 76mm

If2pkbv.jpg

kxcGWM2.jpg

hn6ludI.jpg

4VehY8J.jpg

13ngG5t.jpg

vferdman

As I mentioned above, I was commissioned to make a series of seven brushes in the colors of the Lithuanian flag: Yellow, Green, Red. The series has three two band badger brushes, one synthetic and three boars. I used TGN for badgers, synthetic and one of the boars. Used Omega brushes I got for the purpose of harvesting the knots for the 24mm knots. TGN sells an excellent 27mm Omega knot, which is what I used for the larger boar. I remove the black rings from the Omega boars so I can set the loft as I like. The handles in this series also contain a rare earth magnet in the bottom so as to be able to hang the brush from a metal surface. The prototype had a smaller magnet that worked, but I felt a more powerful magnet would be nicer, so I ordered some 3/8" magnets for the rest of the series. Boy, those things are strong! Very good snappy feel to the magnetic action even on the heavy, wet brush.

Approximate dimensions:

Smaller Boars:

Knot: 25mm

Larger boar:

Total height: 123mm
Handle height: 65mm
Loft height: 58mm
Knot: 27mm

Synthetic:

Total height: 108mm
Handle height: 58mm
Knot: 29mm

Badgers:

Handle height: 57mm
Loft height: 48mm
Knot: 27mm

RkZ7Gw6.jpg

tJxkyux.jpg

4ZNKD8q.jpg

rOTJreD.jpg

QrUAssE.jpg

0NQA903.jpg

gvrACG2.jpg

GvuPmCP.jpg

vferdman

I have created a brush handle by custom order for a Plisson synthetic knot. The material is resin in "Molten Metal" pattern. What a gorgeous resin this is!

Dimensions (approximate):

Handle height: 50mm
Knot: 26mm

6Z2Ou47.jpg

HlZedT8.jpg

jyNOZYt.jpg

XBUUmyt.jpg

Lwk0o7d.jpg

hf3OFbE.jpg