Shaving brushes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vferdman

vferdman

I have created three new brushes for my Etsy store. One with synthetic knot and two with two band finest knots.

Synthetic in blue and gold resin. This came out really nice. I have started using dished out bottom instead of recessed. I like it a lot better and the feel of it is very nice to the touch. This resin is very interesting. It goes from deep blue to almost butterscotch/gold with lots of swirls in between making some areas slightly greenish.

Brush Dimensions (approximate):

Total height: 98m
Handle height: 46mm
Loft height: 51mm
Knot: 26mm

hoOuEcB.jpg

WHoahsD.jpg

9WUJpVE.jpg

ikwPZWM.jpg

qCCiNdj.jpg

Two band finest in Black and Gold resin handle. This is also a very interesting resin. Very nice swirling and chatoyance is amazing. For the butterscotch pearl lovers.

Total height: 94mm
Handle height: 47mm
Loft height: 47mm
Knot: 23mm Bulb shape

kF5z0bK.jpg

Ds7ODPO.jpg

JeJOHUq.jpg

NO41psP.jpg

XMm0I2p.jpg

Two band finest in Timberland Dymondwood. This pattern of Dymondwood is very contrasty and colorful. I chose not to apply CA finish to this one, but wet sanded it to 1500 grit and polished with plastic polish. This material is very resin-like and is completely water-proof. The finish without CA is a little more flat and lacks the glass-like shine. I like it this way.

Total height: 101mm
Handle: 55mm
Loft: 46mm
Knot: 23mm bulb shape

DZOOxGi.jpg

weKxW9C.jpg

8c2QmmQ.jpg

TtDZJvD.jpg

Jp8N8Or.jpg

vferdman

I have created two custom brushes. One is in Butterscotch Pearl resin and the other is in Black Pearl resin. Both with TGN two band finest badger.

Here is the Butterscotch one.

Approximate dimensions.

Total height: 110mm
Handle height: 63mm
Loft height: 47mm
Knot: 25mm (plus)

hlp9iX2.jpg

lKVrgLQ.jpg

IMxq4gM.jpg

dGHodAl.jpg

e0mPba9.jpg

e8NujF1.jpg

Now the Black Pearl.

Approximate dimensions:

Total height: 113mm
Handle height: 64mm
Loft height: 49mm
Knot: 26mm

UZRXo2a.jpg

E5sWosj.jpg

MVWBVtm.jpg

y89KB6d.jpg

IfnnrCv.jpg

vferdman

I have created a brush with a handle made of Ironwood and a two band finest TGN knot. The handle is a classic style and the finish is Cyanoacrylate (CA, crazy glue) wet sanded and polished to glass-like shine. this brush came out really well. I love this wood. The grain is gorgeous and has a lot of depth through the CA finish. The color is golden honey.

Total height: 90mm
Handle: 45mm
Loft: 45mm
Knot: 24mm bulb shape

G2b2afs.jpg

AREdtsb.jpg

JfDvFyJ.jpg

zB93Wm7.jpg

UfdFCU8.jpg

06h6LzE.jpg

vferdman

I have created three brushes in resin handles for my Etsy store. I hope you like them. These resins are new to me and I think they are pretty amazing looking.

First, Copper Pearl. This one is a fan shaped knot with a handle inspired by SOC (one of my favorite ergonomic designs).

Total height: 100mm
Handle: 53mm
Loft: 47mm
Knot: 24mm fan shape

CQVaCS3.jpg

hxcOtBP.jpg

axNhTIe.jpg

lEViCM4.jpg

ZC0Zv44.jpg

UYAbPaJ.jpg

Next, Antique Gold. I really love it. It is understated and just gorgeous.

Total height: 103mm
Loft: 50mm
Knot: 25mm Bulb shape

Qm4rzkf.jpg

GsI9l4O.jpg

YDGd2nv.jpg

ZHIPA23.jpg

pB9hCec.jpg

A1loHxG.jpg

And now one in Black Olive. This one is amazingly beautiful for those who like black handles. Wow! I am not even sure what the other color is in there, but it sure looks like black olive. Pattern is gorgeous too. This is TGN's three band finest grade. It is somewhat like Simpson's best, but a bit sturdier and finer tips. Very soft tipped.

Total height: 101mm
Handle: 52mm
Loft: 49mm
Knot: 27mm Bulb shape

KJeCrv2.jpg

Gidb4KH.jpg

gxXNgoZ.jpg

RJKmBN5.jpg

oXchP7e.jpg

hNlyfVd.jpg

vferdman

I have created a synthetic brush for my Etsy Store. This one is in "Gold Coast" resin. I used this resin before and called it "Burnt Butterscotch". This one has a bit more red in it, so I hesitate to call it that, but boy, is it gorgeous! See for yourselves.

Total height: 110mm
Handle height: 60mm
Loft height: 50mm
Knot: 27mm

MHtI6Q8.jpg

M9UInzW.jpg

xTa9FFY.jpg

dVQ2Yj1.jpg

FMqtOR3.jpg

vferdman

I have created a new brush in "Antique Gold" resin. This one was inspired by a German made Barbershop brush that I have and plan to restore. the last picture is of the Barbershop brush next to the unfinished brush in resin. I really like the long handle on this barber's brush. It sits very well in hand and has good balance.

Total height: 128mm
Handle: 80mm
Loft: 48mm
Knot: 26mm Bulb shape

zUBxZMx.jpg

l8Mw5U7.jpg

r4tcG2y.jpg

8dZTpG5.jpg

BCVsJwf.jpg

XpHNnML.jpg

aKKAaGu.jpg

vferdman

I have created a new brush for my Etsy store. This one is a tribute to Ever-Ready hour glass brushes like 300PBT. I really like the red and black combination. My rendition is of slightly different colors than the original, but then again, it's a tribute, not a clone. I really like it.

Total height: 106mm
Handle: 58mm
Loft: 48mm

9oAmBk6.jpg

EKeDsqc.jpg

vYRayGU.jpg

7AIoOOa.jpg

ZSmIfEx.jpg

Hope you like it!

vferdman

I have built a brush by custom order. It is made of "Black Olive" resin and has a TGN two and finest knot. This resin is gorgeous and understated.

Total height: 100mm
Handle: 51mm

zlFfKiX.jpg

UZvgZJV.jpg

zZZHOoK.jpg

MwYoEAh.jpg

I30qRSt.jpg

vferdman

I have restored a few Ever-Ready hour glass brushes for one of or members. All have 24mm TGN three band synthetic knots

Here they are:

g6Rf4f8.jpg

7Etq34w.jpg

JqHeHrR.jpg

l3OzDJs.jpg

sEOfOvg.jpg

IwcYX8J.jpg

And now one "Before" picture of the red and black one:

7VtaW9c.jpg

vferdman

I have created two new brushes for my Etsy store. These two are in exotic wood.

First is one in African Rosewood. This wood is amazing. It looks almost black in the pictures, but it really is a dark reddish-brown. Very hard and dense wood, so the brush has a good heft to it.

Total height: 98mm
Handle: 52mm
Loft: 46mm
Knot: 26mm bulb shape

gAgfA6H.jpg

Wcz5UBo.jpg

vzSzkZf.jpg

ZhjCDDc.jpg

e3uscBz.jpg

NVcHElj.jpg

pCJeRXq.jpg

vferdman

Second brush I made is in Mopani wood. This wood has very clear and beautiful grain and the color of it is absolutely lovely in dark golden honey tones. the depth of grain really pops under the CA finish.

Total height: 96mm
Loft: 43mm
Knot: 25mm fan shape

D90T5S3.jpg

tWGZWhj.jpg

Wd7QNKg.jpg

MqIfrAU.jpg

XN9JJir.jpg

vferdman

I also produced a boar brush for a custom order set into South African Ebony. The knot is TGN boar knot which is not explicitly Omega and lacks the Omega plastic ring, but it has the same look and feel as the Omega blond boar knot. Test lathering provided very positive results. I think this knot is very much on par with Omega blond boar. It is very well made and has responded very well to my initial break in with a dry towel. Many tips are beginning to split now just after one lather and towel cycle.

ZUjbDsg.jpg

NAIjdwk.jpg

7U0FaTS.jpg

8yj700U.jpg

9oxUanU.jpg

Vlad,
I read through your thread... some great looking brushes. I have a brush, stand and razor kit from PSI to try one of these days... I've had the kit for well over a year and it's just hanging on the wall in the shop gathering dust...I haven't found what I want to make it from.

I may have missed it, but did you say how you finish the wood handles... I know the plastics only need a good polishing, but concerned about the water and the woods...

I've pretty much given up on pens, key rings and the smaller turnings... I do mostly bowls, pepper mills, and wood stemmed wine glasses now.

vferdman

Question: if you could only use one knot, which one would you choose?

If I only had one knot I would choose Semogue mixed hair knot (50% two band badger - 50% boar), but those are not sold as knots and even as complete brushes they are rare and not a normal production item. Other than that for myself I would go with a 24mm TGN two band finest, which is exactly what I have made for myself. But tastes are different and what works for me may not work for you.

vferdman

Vlad,
I read through your thread... some great looking brushes. I have a brush, stand and razor kit from PSI to try one of these days... I've had the kit for well over a year and it's just hanging on the wall in the shop gathering dust...I haven't found what I want to make it from.

I may have missed it, but did you say how you finish the wood handles... I know the plastics only need a good polishing, but concerned about the water and the woods...

I've pretty much given up on pens, key rings and the smaller turnings... I do mostly bowls, pepper mills, and wood stemmed wine glasses now.

I finish wooden brush handles in CA and polish to high gloss. Like pens. CA coat is extremely durable and waterproof. I also coat the inside of the knot opening with CA, but don't bother polishing it, of course. Just to seal it from moisture.

vferdman

I have created a large brush in faux ivory resin and TGN two band finest knot. The faux Ivory resin in this brush is very beautiful and really looks a lot more like actual bone than the usual white resin. It has patterns that real ivory has. Photos do not convey this as well as I would have liked, but the material is really beautiful. This a very large brush at 32mm knot/52mm loft.

Total height: 115mm
Loft height: 52mm
Knot: 32mm Bulb shape

huUK3SK.jpg

hp1CmWj.jpg

KhBjuw4.jpg

ffaM56S.jpg

hIm7LoQ.jpg

vferdman

I have created another large brush. This time in faux horn resin. I am really liking these resin blanks. They are good quality and good size for a large brush.

Total height: 115mm
Knot: 32mm Bulb shape

5ia6JT8.jpg

P7jnhzv.jpg

yIYQqjR.jpg

YsbiiOy.jpg

T4tKoux.jpg

tNTCSp7.jpg

6Ji8gX8.jpg

hDsHoqo.jpg

vferdman

I have created another large brush with a very interesting resin. I call it Tigris Sparkle. The knot on this one is slightly smaller than on the Ivory and Horn, but is still a large brush.

Total height: 116mm
Handle height: 64mm
Knot: 29mm Bulb shape

4n4h55f.jpg

7vX8HXS.jpg

nfBtDQu.jpg

VfBNIBs.jpg

1LW1Nmq.jpg

vferdman

I have created two new brushes using exotic woods sealed with CA (super glue) inside and out. Both brushes are very similar, use the same TGN finest knot, but set ever so slightly differently in terms of knot/loft dimensions. Both knots exhibit all the signs of gel tips, but it's hard to tell without using them. Test lathers with Stirling soap felt extremely soft to my hand.

The first one is inspired by M7 shape and is turned out of African Blackwood. This wood is amazingly beautiful and dark. Pictures do not show the grain very well, but it is there and shows up under direct light. Grain is very tight, almost resin-like.

Total height: 105mm
Handle: 56mm
Knot: 25mm bulb shape

CXQpN3u.jpg

XPmTnaH.jpg

iaJhsA6.jpg

o5MCZ9J.jpg

lc0Zhbo.jpg

The second brush is inspired by the SOC Two Band that I like so much. This one has a reminiscent shape, though I try hard to not make exact copies of my favorite brush handles. The knot is set at a slightly higher 50mm and tighter opening of 24mm than the previous brush. This is not exactly the dimensions of the SOC two band, but I felt it was close and in the same spirit of a longer, more pliable feel to the brush like the SOC. Katalox wood in this brush is reddish and shows lots more grain than the blackwood. It is very beautiful and dense, providing good heft to the handle.

Total height: 106mm
Handle: 56mm
Loft: 50mm
Knot: 24mm bulb shape

2iJoYNk.jpg

T8jKrkp.jpg

5USWsZr.jpg

DEZjsLU.jpg

lkuhFTJ.jpg

darrin1200

Vladimir, I think you shaving brushes are outstanding.

I would like to add some brushes to my repitoir, but I have a couple of questions about the shape. Mainly with regards to hanging stands, and if there is a standard handle dimension toallow the brush to hang.

I have seen stands where the the end of the handle rests on the stands support. This would mean that the knot would have to be smaller than the hanger support. However, I noticed with your brushes, that there is a wide range in knot sizes.

Since many people already have stands, is it better to turn one notch or grooved area of the handle to a set size? If so, what would be a good width, and how far should this "groove" be from the tip of the knot.

I have two stands here, but they are not quality brush stands and they both vary in measurements. I've tried researching, but get somewhat confusing results.

Yor custom brushes are some of the best I have seen, and I would appreciate any advice you could pass on to me.

Thanks

vferdman

Vladimir, I think you shaving brushes are outstanding.

I would like to add some brushes to my repitoir, but I have a couple of questions about the shape. Mainly with regards to hanging stands, and if there is a standard handle dimension toallow the brush to hang.

I have seen stands where the the end of the handle rests on the stands support. This would mean that the knot would have to be smaller than the hanger support. However, I noticed with your brushes, that there is a wide range in knot sizes.

Since many people already have stands, is it better to turn one notch or grooved area of the handle to a set size? If so, what would be a good width, and how far should this "groove" be from the tip of the knot.

I have two stands here, but they are not quality brush stands and they both vary in measurements. I've tried researching, but get somewhat confusing results.

Yor custom brushes are some of the best I have seen, and I would appreciate any advice you could pass on to me.

Thanks

Darrin, thanks for your kind words. I never think about brush stands when making brushes. I think brush stands are unnecessary and if one is desired, then it should be made to the brush, not the other way around. However, if you have a stand you really love and want a brush for it, then it is definitely possible to create a groove or cove in the handle for it. Just measure the stand and let me know what the dimension is. I can create a handle with a cove to accommodate the stand.

I personally do not use a brush stand and I have close to a dozen brushes in my personal rotation. I just built a small shelf for them and they are very well displayed there. I also like to dry them with hair facing up. To me it's a better way as the wicking action helps them dry. Water evaporates up and I think if the brush is hanging upside down it only takes longer to dry. In any case, I am not aware of any standard for shaving brush stands and certainly there is a large variety of knot size preferences to have such a standard, so I say pick a brush you like according to what you like in a brush (some people like large brushes, some like small and everything in between) and then just make a stand for it or a wall bracket or just a small shelf. Heck, we are all woodworkers here, right? Easy to do.

Best regards,

--
Vladimir

darrin1200

Thanks Vladimir

I guess I need to pay a little more attention:) I just looked at your brushes again and realized that they all have a flat end. Now I know why and it makes perfect sense.

I actually think they look better with a flat on the end of the handle anyway.

Once again, your work is amazing.

vferdman

I have made a new brush by custom order. this one is from Dymondwood in "Tortoise" pattern. Finish is multiple coats of CA polished to a glass-like shine.

Dimensions:

Total height: 113mm
Handle height: 62mm
Loft height: 51mm
Knot: 28mm

Pre-bloom pictures:

Syh3p12.jpg

XdFiIFi.jpg

A8qBzD0.jpg

Post-bloom pictures:

H92W9mt.jpg

RKEVi6Q.jpg

mQpPpwe.jpg

XTLmvUs.jpg

bwIVeQs.jpg

vferdman

I got another custom order for a "Chubby 1+" with TGN two band finest. This one is more in the Chubby 2 dimensions. I used Dymondwood in French Green and a top coat of CA (multiple coats actually) polished to high gloss.

Approximate dimensions:

Total height: 97mm
Handle Height: 47mm
Loft height: 50mm

XC0w1mR.jpg

O1s6LAK.jpg

rVACd7S.jpg

QflcEgj.jpg

m6ZMjea.jpg

vferdman

Hi vferdmam

Those are very nice shaving brushes.
Where abouts are you in Western MA?
Are you a Mad Max fan?

Richard

Richard, I am near Amherst. I am not a particular fan of Mad Max, but I did enjoy the original movie with Mel Gibson. I was very young when I saw it on big screen in the 80s.

vferdman

I have created a large boar brush by custom order. This one takes its knot from the Omega 48 Pro. The handle is made of "Black Olive" resin and is really gorgeous. I set the loft at around 60mm and knot at just a little more than 28mm. I find this lets these amazing knots really shine.

Here are the dimensions:

Total height: 130mm
Handle height: 70mm
Loft height: 60mm
Knot: 28+mm

pftme6Z.jpg

m9QaXbi.jpg

iBr7LFX.jpg

hsUepwz.jpg

z7DQ72W.jpg

Waggoner

Brushes look great as always. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the Black Olive blank? That blank is gorgeous.

Mike Powell

I like the double sided safety razors from CSUSA. its the one I use everyday. Like Dan brushes are on my short list also. I have three weeks off from school, but a list of orders waiting for my attention already. We will see if I can make it to the new stuff...

vferdman

I have created another brush with Omega 48 Pro knot. This one is in spalted Southern Red Oak. This wood has so many features! Insect trails, spalting, figuring. Just amazingly beautiful naturally adorned material. I finished it with CA and high gloss polish. I love the way it came out.

Total height: 137mm
Handle: 74mm
Loft: 63mm

dBZFll3.jpg

4MAlPRf.jpg

R9UCZUg.jpg

2g1g3ak.jpg

zMxNJIQ.jpg

TYArtJy.jpg

Top Bottom