Sharp Fast Turning Tool Sharpening Setup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

I do not use this particular device. Having looked at the picture of it though and I just have to wonder what size gouges it will accept? What are you going to use for other than gouge shaped tools?

I believe I would still prefer to use my Tormek since I believe a grinder is not the best device to sharpen wood working tools. Others have great success with their grinders, but I don't favor the idea of grinding away all that tool metal myself. :eek:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Looks like a weird adaptation of the Oneway Wolverine...vari-grind built in...

Mind you, it seems like a unitasker, in that it is designed for gouges only...

Maybe the original oneway is a better fit for you?
http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/grind_jig.htm

I just grind everything by hand, however...takes a bit of practise, and I sure can't do an Ellsworth or Irish grind, but it cuts! :)

Sabaharr

No experienc with that one but Woodcraft sells a similiar one that I do have and its about $60. It works great on my thin bowl gouge.

andyk

I found a site on the web that had a plan for a homemade version of the vari-grind. I built it for about $25 and 2 hours and works like a champ. It ensures repeatability in the angle of your grind.

Rifleman1776

As mentioned, looks like skews and other flat tools could not be sharpened with it.
Take a look at the Wolverine and PSI knock-off. They are very much becoming the standards for turning tool sharpening.

Top Bottom