Sharing for the holidays...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

I am sure we have members here who want to try some of the exotics and other materials (maybe even kits) most of us use but cannot afford it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we can pool some of our stash that we can spare and share with the less fortunate?

Determining who deserves it will be tricky but I propose we do it by honor system.

What says you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffj13

Dario,

I think this is a good idea. Your are correct that determining need will be tricky, especially given that an argument can be made that if you can afford a lathe and the necessary accessories, you're probably not less fortunate.

How do we get our materials to those who need it? Do we send stuff to you for distribution?

jeff

JimGo

How 'bout this...a blank doantion program? People who feel like participating can take delivery of them; must be received by a certain date. Then we divide the donated blanks based on the number of people requesting some.

Just a thought.

Dario

I am willing to take care of handling donated items but not have to be me. Anyone interested is welcome to do it.

I am just checking if there is enough support/interest for this idea.

DocStram

Dario ... nice idea but determining need is going to be difficult. For example, I have about 250 blanks down in my shop but ... I'm always in "need" of more. Maybe there is a way of determining need from want.

A variation of your idea might be this ... a pen blank exchange among members. Sort of like PITH except with blanks. Or maybe even, send the next person on the list five blanks. Just a thought.

JimGo

Al,
Daario suggested that "need" would be based on the honor system. I'd be willing to contribute a few blanks, trusting that people aren't going to "cheat".

However, a blank exchange would work for me, too!

jjenk02

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Al,
Daario suggested that "need" would be based on the honor system. I'd be willing to contribute a few blanks, trusting that people aren't going to "cheat".

However, a blank exchange would work for me, too!

Either one works for me, I would participate.

wudnhed

I would think a blank exchange might work better. As pointed out, if your into pen turning you can't be that needy. I really want some of those expensive pen kits but willing to save for them. JMHO[:)] Really great thought tho!

Skye

Do it in two groups.

Advanced donations
Newbie donations.

Advanced people's blanks get turned over to the noobs who donated. The blanks the noobs donated get redistributed to the other noobs. The advanced wind up with the short end of the stick, but thats why it's a donation, lol

Dario

Thank you guys,

The problem with the exchange is that it will counter the original intent of giving.

The ones who don't have any (good ones) to give will most likely not join...and the ones whom they pick might not feel good with what they receive.

It really is open to exploitation but I believe honor system is the only way to go. In a way I already started mine...sending some out today to someone who will remain anonymous.

Nolan, I got you covered...some of the pieces on the lot you sent me will be distributed/shared.

BigRob777

Dario,
I agree with you. I'm not interested in a blank swap, but want to help out someone who can't afford blanks. I also agree that the honor system is a good thing. I'm subscribed to this post, so I'll be able to keep abreast of new developments.
Rob

Nolan

Random acts of kindness!! This is alot nicer to see than some of the other threads.............. Way to go Dario.
Nolan

Dario

What if we open a new thread where the interested recepient to be posts and we agree who will send them a package?

This way no double handling, and postage is kept at a minimum. Doesn't have to be big...just throw in a couple (or more) special blanks and maybe a few regular blanks. I probably can send up to 5 people.

Thoughts/comments?

BigRob777

Well, I would imagine that if I were down on my luck, I would be embarrassed to post that information for the forum to see. If you'll notice, nobody has written in asking for blanks. That may be the reason. Maybe folks can e-mail someone with requests.

I also don't want everyone knowing about my donations. It's related to what the Bible says about when giving, not to let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. That's just a personal belief, but it's my philosophy, whenever possible.

IMHO
Rob

airrat

Dario, I like your idea and the random acts of kindness. I would be willing to help out.

If people dont want to post they should email you or someone else if you have help.

ilikewood

I'm sorry, but I just can't participate. I work my behind off every day from 6am to 10pm and barely squeek by. Yet I know so many (hopefully none here) that are always complaining how they are in need, how much they are short money, and how many things they have to do without....YET....they make easily twice what I do and always have money to go out to eat, own 3 new cars, etc (my newest car is van given to me...1993). I have totally quit giving to unknown causes. I DO give to ones I can verify.

I just can't trust the "honor system" anymore as it TOTALLY depends on your own perspective. Been burned way too many times.

BTW- your average professional panhandler makes over $40,000 in many areas of the country.

DocStram

Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />I'm sorry, but I just can't participate. I work my behind off every day from 6am to 10pm and barely squeek by. Yet I know so many (hopefully none here) that are always complaining how they are in need, how much they are short money, and how many things they have to do without....YET....they make easily twice what I do and always have money to go out to eat, own 3 new cars, etc (my newest car is van given to me...1993). I have totally quit giving to unknown causes. I DO give to ones I can verify.

I just can't trust the "honor system" anymore as it TOTALLY depends on your own perspective. Been burned way too many times.

BTW- your average professional panhandler makes over $40,000 in many areas of the country.

And I was just about to send my friend Bill a dozen Royal Yew Blanks .. Museum Quality! [:D]

Dario

Bill,

I totally understand, no need to apologize at all. We all do things differently and I respect your stand. A lot of times, I do the same...when I see someone who tries to hitch a ride...I look the other way much as it pains me/us (with my wife). We just can't risk getting mugged in the process.

Re: the panhandlers...I better stop working, after all the deductions, etc. they are making more than I do! [:0] [}:)]

reef12

I already received a gift from a Guy that posts here no name.

But he sent me blanks and a Vice as I complained I could not drill straight holes in the ones I have.

I have a lot of wood but not what he sent me so his thought goes a long way.

If he reads this thanks Buddy[:)]

Will remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom