Sentimental Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaTurner83

I have some Jonathan Apple wood burl that has a lot of sentimental value to me.It came from a apple tree my grandfather planted for me when I was 10 years old.April 14th of this year he will be gone for 3 years.The apple tree died a few months after he passed.My dad and I cut the tree down and used most of it for firewood (this was before I even thought about turning wood).I saved the burl from thinking I may do something with it someday.Well someday has finally came.The pieces I have are spalted and have worm holes through them.I know they will have to be stabilized.But do I need to have them stabilize before casting them in resin? If so where would be a good place to have them stabilized at?I dont have a vacuum pump yet so I will have to send them out to be stabilized.I plan to make my mom,brother and myself a pen from one of the slices I have and possibly a turkey call for my self with the other.I figured this would make something good to remember my grandfather by.He always had a green thumb.If he wasnt planting a garden or taking care of livestock he was thinking about it.I reckon thats what kept him going for so long.But any way heres a picture of 2 of the pieces I have.
001-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Those blanks are too good for those purpose. You'd be spending lots of money to get little pieces out of them. If I were you try to find your local wood turners club and turn some bowl or tray out of them so you can enjoy the beauty of their grain and spalting in a larger scale than on a pen.

triw51

John some beatiful wood and a even better with its history. Great gifts for the family. If you cast them in resin in a vacuum won't that stablize the wood? I dont think you have to do both. Also are you planning to fill the holes with anything (ie brass shavings)? Good luck let us know what you end up doing. William
PS the top piece looks like a dog head on the right side.

Last edited:

toyotaman

I think if they were cut into pieces you could clean out the cracks and cast them with resin. I think they would be fine. If they are really soft and punky soak them with thin CA glue.

Top Bottom