20 Cholla - Le Roi Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

Well, tonight I finished the last step in completing 20 pens that will be given as speaker's gifts at an upcoming Knowledge Management conference in Houston. I could not have completed this without lots of reading, asking questions and getting some great tips and advice from the members here. So, to everyone that participates...Thank You!

I first tried casting these by taping the outside and pouring down the center. This was marginally successful. I had better success if I predrilled the cholla so the hole down the center was larger. The problem I ran into with this method was that there wasn't really enough resin for the thermal reaction to cure in the normal period of time.

My solution was to get a "Smart Ones" meal tray, fill it up with 10 cholla blanks and pour in the Alumilite with the dye and mica powder mixed in. I made a grid out of popsicle sticks and used a rock that was sitting by the back door to hold the cholla down. In one hour it was set up and I think the blanks that came out of the mold were much better than the other method. I probably used quite a bit more resin, but the end product made it worth it in my opinion.

Now I have to finish 10 Amboyna Burl pens, and laser engrave 30 pen boxes and I'll be ready to ship these off. The best part...the conference isn't until April!!! Okay, well maybe the best part is getting paid...but I'm normally rushing to get things done since I do still have a day job :)

Attachments

• DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 833
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Autonoz

I was thinking of doing something similar and was wondering if I have to stabilize the wood first, or can I just put it in the PR? By the way, your pens are awesome.

woodgraver

I was thinking of doing something similar and was wondering if I have to stabilize the wood first, or can I just put it in the PR? By the way, your pens are awesome.

Thanks...no need to stabelize the cholla. You will want to make sure all soil is removed from all crevices and that the cholla is dry, but I didn't need to do anything special to the cholla before casting it.

Charles

You mentioned the dye and mica you added to the resin. What color did you use. My choa is darker in color but have been wondering if I should cast with clear or color. Your picture of the finished product is beautiful, so I was wondering how you did it and did you prepaint the tubes black etc. I have a box of this and really want to make some of these. Any help appreciated.

Top Bottom