Segments aligning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Amihai

Hello,
Here is my first segmented pen! (ignore the fact it is horribly finished and underturned for a second).

As you may see, the segments didn't align quite well. you can see the brass tube between them. I suspect my segments weren't exactly straight.
I was told that I should be able to make perfectly straight cuts using a table saw. the problem is, I don't have one in my small workshop. only a band saw.

I had the idea of cutting bigger segments and sanding them down from both sides on a disc sander to achieve a similar effect. Any other suggestions will be welcome!

Attachments

• P1000586-2.jpg
    P1000586-2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 153
  • P1000587-2.jpg
    P1000587-2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 149
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

The fact of the matter in segmenting is that all cuts need to be precise. Your tools, whatever they be, need to be capable of achieving that precision. You can build jigs that greatly enhance your precision. If your tools aren't capable, you won't be successful. That doesn't mean you need expensive power tools. Some, not me, are very successful with hand tools. Again, they need to be quality tools. You also need a certain degree of competence yourself. You need to learn to use your tools. That comes with experience. Is the design your doing beyond your experience, at this time? Only you know that. Don't give up. The idiom that you learn more from your failures than you do from your success's, is very true.

Last edited:

Lew

I know you're disappointed in the result, but you should be proud of the attempt. It may not be what you want precisely, but it's a start. As you continue to work on segmented pens, your efforts will improve. Nothing worth doing comes easy, so just keep at it. As Ken said above, improve your technique with your tools to get precise cuts. My first attempts were horrible, but research on this site and just keeping at it have given me better efforts. I may not be in the same league as some of the turners here, but the process is exciting and fun. Keep trying.

jttheclockman

Barrel trimmer is not going to help you cut more accurate segments. As mentioned unless you are willingl to step up to better quality tools then you work with what you have. A bandsaw is not the best tool for cutting segments but it can get you there. Make a solid jig that works for your saw is a great first step. Tuning the saw and using the right blade is the next step. Always try to keep the blade guides as close to the project at hand without interfering with jig. This keeps the blade as tight as possible and less flutter is a good thing. Many times you can get away with sanding on a flat surface such as piece of glass with sandpaper adhered to it. A couple quick swipes by hand can clean up a ragged cut. Make sure to hold piece flat when sanding. If going to use a disc sander than a jig for this is needed too. The object is consistency of each piece. Any deviation will just keep multiplying with each layer. Good luck.

Top Bottom