Segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyz

I have been trying to make a bowl with trapezoidal wedge elements in one of the rings.

I know this is not necessarily pen related, but does anyone have knowledge in this area or experience with an accu-slice system with a trapezoidal wedge sled add on?

I understand the basic operation of the system, but what is the reason for the two fences? Also, has anyone tried to do the same thing with a table saw jig?

Appreciate any information. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyz

Saw your name in a post about accu-slice. Did you buy one? Did you get the wedge accessory? Trying to understand what the band saw angle represents and why there are two fences.

Looked at all the accu- * videos and didn't see any info relative to my questions.

Also, have you seen any table saw setups to do the same thing?

good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Just restarted our own group in Richmond last month!

Jim

jttheclockman

Saw your name in a post about accu-slice. Did you buy one? Did you get the wedge accessory? Trying to understand what the band saw angle represents and why there are two fences.

Looked at all the accu- * videos and didn't see any info relative to my questions.

Also, have you seen any table saw setups to do the same thing?

good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Just restarted our own group in Richmond last month!

Jim
I got these. I did not get the accuslice because of the price. For what I wanted that was too expensive. People have been doing wedgs for bowls for many years and they use both chop saws, bandsaw, and tablesaws.. making sleds for them is easy and there is many videos on google that you can find for each tool. Mine was a quick and dirty sled that I wanted to test the wedges with. When I get into more of that type work I will make a more refined sled with slotted backstops. I follow one of the true segmenters of all times, Malcom Tibbets and he has made sleds for various tools.

Have to say I have not played with it enough but the few quick samples I made were quite easy.

http://www.segeasy.com/wedgies.htm

Here is a video of a single fence to do the same thing.

https://jerswoodshop.com/simplified-wedgie-sled/

Here is the best set of videos that are easy to follow and will explain the use of two fences and its advantages over a single fence because that was your original question. All has to do with accuracy. Fourth video.

http://segeasy.com/segeasy.htm

Last edited:
I've been doing a lot of segmented bowls in the last couple years. I have the segment wedges from Seg-Easy and I built the wedgie sled with 2 movable fences for my table saw (it simplifies the process - several good videos on YouTube). I had most of the stuff for the sled in my scrap bin so the cost was MINIMAL and the results are SUPERIOR. The great thing is that there isn't any adjustment needed after the pieces are cut. Many methods call for gluing up 2 half circles and then sanding for a good fit. Not necessary.
If/when you get to the point of building a sled, one super tip is to insure the 2 movable fence faces are ABSOLUTELY parallel. If not, you can introduce issues.
Have at it and enjoy! Good luck!

jttheclockman

I've been doing a lot of segmented bowls in the last couple years. I have the segment wedges from Seg-Easy and I built the wedgie sled with 2 movable fences for my table saw (it simplifies the process - several good videos on YouTube). I had most of the stuff for the sled in my scrap bin so the cost was MINIMAL and the results are SUPERIOR. The great thing is that there isn't any adjustment needed after the pieces are cut. Many methods call for gluing up 2 half circles and then sanding for a good fit. Not necessary.
If/when you get to the point of building a sled, one super tip is to insure the 2 movable fence faces are ABSOLUTELY parallel. If not, you can introduce issues.
Have at it and enjoy! Good luck!
Just want to add to this if building the sled make sure you build it dead on accurate to the miter slots in your table top. Have no play.

Top Bottom