Segmenting With Cardstock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Humongous

Humongous

I have been having fun experimenting with cardstock for segmenting. Each stripe is 9 layers 3 of each color then flooded with thin CA to polymerize the paper.
I really like the way that the colors pop more than a veneer and the color choices are endless. Comments welcome, thanks for looking.
20190913_175735.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

What kind of paper. I've tried construction paper and it all seems to turn to mud.

Humongous

What kind of paper. I've tried construction paper and it all seems to turn to mud.
It's called cardstock, I get it at Michael's. They have an entire aisle full. It's the thickness of a greeting card.

Very nicely done !!!

Is that a Devin pen kit ?
Thank you, yes it is the Devin kit. I bought the 4 pack and it's a really decent kit for a classic styled clicker.

Larryreitz

OK, I'm running out to Michael's as soon as I finish typing this. That is one great pen and I predict we'll be seeing a lot of pens made using your technique. Many thanks for sharing.
Larry

leehljp

Member Liaison
I was in both Michaels and Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago specifically looking at card stock with the same purpose in mind. Looks great!

I was looking to make up layers to look like "Fordite". If you are not familiar with that term, search for it on this forum. I would bet this opens up a whole 'nuther type of pen blanks that we have not yet seen!

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Go to Lowes and get a wood strip for roofing tin closures https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sequentia-Wood-Solid-Roof-Panel-Closure-Strip/3010420
Cover 2 1 foot long pieces with plastic wrap, grocery store plastic bag, start gluing up strips of different colored construction paper just keep stacking. and clamp it overnight. Or cut a blank lengthwise in a curvy shape, then glue and clamp multiple layers between the 2 pieces.

Todd in PA

Each stripe is 9 layers 3 of each color then flooded with thin CA to polymerize the paper.
Each stripe is 9 layers 3 of each color then flooded with thin CA to polymerize the paper.

Do you mind describing this in more detail? When I have used card stock, 2 of three times the barrel failed and split right down the center of the card stock. Both sides of the card stock were adhered to the wood after the break.

Also when I sandwiched two pieces of cardstock against each other, the end result looked like two layers, and not the uniform thick layer that your pen exhibits.

Advice much appreciated because I'd love to be able to incorporate the packed in color

Humongous

Do you mind describing this in more detail? When I have used card stock, 2 of three times the barrel failed and split right down the center of the card stock. Both sides of the card stock were adhered to the wood after the break.

Also when I sandwiched two pieces of cardstock against each other, the end result looked like two layers, and not the uniform thick layer that your pen exhibits.

Advice much appreciated because I'd love to be able to incorporate the packed in color
For this particular blank I cut a groove the kerf of the blade on my table saw about 1/3 of the way through the blank. I then placed strips of cardstock in the pattern I wanted in the groove (the strips were about 1/4" wide), in this case 9 pieces fit nicely not too tight not loose. Then literally flooded it with thin CA to make sure that the paper was good and saturated. Be careful and use good ventilation you'll get smoke and fumes while it polymerizes. Once dry trim off the excess paper and repeat with the other sides.

The key with cardstock is to get the paper saturated with the glue be it epoxy or ca, I did not have good luck with wood glue and had blanks break apart as you state.

Top Bottom