Segmented trio.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This is a comparison of the two pens I made resulting from a PITH exchange with SteveJ, as well as the pen SteveJ made for me.

The first pen is Steve's work, the second is what I sent to him, and the third was the pen I kept - I tweaked a few features for his pen.

Most of the construction methods are displayed here: https://www.penturners.org/threads/segmented-pith-to-stevej.160093/

IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg
IMG_1296.jpgIMG_1297.jpgIMG_0568.jpgIMG_0567.jpgIMG_0586.jpgIMG_0590.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Mark:
Looks like you are using a vac chamber to pull over cut segments so they don't fly over the place.
I have been using a splitter on my zero clearance plate which does the same process.
Your pen are looking outstanding, keep up the great work.

Charlie

That is some crazy good segmenting! Excellent job by both of you. The cross pen almost looks like a stained glass window you'd seen in a church or cathedral, kind of like a cross with rays of light radiating from it. Simply beautiful!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark:
Looks like you are using a vac chamber to pull over cut segments so they don't fly over the place.
I have been using a splitter on my zero clearance plate which does the same process.
Your pen are looking outstanding, keep up the great work.

Charlie

Hi Charlie. I do use the splitter and guard on the Byrnes, but have still had some of the thinner slices get pulverized (.05") so I resort to this Frankenstein Jig. This technique is not mine, but has been posted previously on IAP (I believe by a Canadian Chap - Library article - "This Jig Sucks" ??) works great. A cheap shop vac from HF, a simple mounting to hold it in place, and it pulls the slice as soon as it is cut through. I do need to stop the blade, retrieve the slice, and restart; but I have had great success this way with the thinner segmenting. After a few hours constructing stuff, I hate to have a 50% - 75% successful cut rate. This is not pretty, and as my wife tells me - "I didn't marry you for your looks... " :eek:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is some crazy good segmenting! Excellent job by both of you. The cross pen almost looks like a stained glass window you'd seen in a church or cathedral, kind of like a cross with rays of light radiating from it. Simply beautiful!

Hi Jay. These resulted from a 1:1 PITH between SteveJ and I. We both dabble in segmenting, work in spurts (weeks off due to "Life), and appreciate seeing other folks efforts because we realize the challenges.

To shorten the story, you may not be aware, a very talented blank maker/pen turner (IAP signature name Eagle) who has passed away constructed a pen design and called it "Pentarsia." SteveJ suggested this as a beginning concept for our PITH and these are our humble efforts.

If the new site allows me to access the original photo, I will post a link. I do believe I have a copy of one of his pens turned by DCBluesman - I'll attach it if I can.

Basically, your description is spot on for all the designs: A cross, stained glass, rays of light.

I've mentioned it before and will emphasize - This is a very reasonable segmenting design for folks to do - not many pieces, very doable! And if the alignment is correct, a nice final appearance.
2006_One for giving II 009.jpg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
These photos are in other threads, but I'll include them here for anyone interested (I've received more PM's for this design than any I have done). You'll need: A spectraply pen blank (or make your own), some walnut thin stock, some black veneer - that's it (oh, some glue...)

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 226
  • JEPO9442.JPG
    JEPO9442.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 222
Hi Jay. These resulted from a 1:1 PITH between SteveJ and I. We both dabble in segmenting, work in spurts (weeks off due to "Life), and appreciate seeing other folks efforts because we realize the challenges.

To shorten the story, you may not be aware, a very talented blank maker/pen turner (IAP signature name Eagle) who has passed away constructed a pen design and called it "Pentarsia." SteveJ suggested this as a beginning concept for our PITH and these are our humble efforts.

If the new site allows me to access the original photo, I will post a link. I do believe I have a copy of one of his pens turned by DCBluesman - I'll attach it if I can.

Basically, your description is spot on for all the designs: A cross, stained glass, rays of light.

I've mentioned it before and will emphasize - This is a very reasonable segmenting design for folks to do - not many pieces, very doable! And if the alignment is correct, a nice final appearance.

Thanks for the pics and background info, I wasn't aware at all of the story behind the design. Obviously you guys nailed it if I saw what it's supposed to be with no prior knowledge. Those two pens are beautiful as well.

thomgarner

I have no appropriate words to express the craftsmanship of this pens. You have inspired me since I am new to the craft. Well done, well done 🤗

Top Bottom