Segmented pen holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

My wife asked me to make her something to put her pens in at work, so this is what I came up with. It's a lamination of Tulipwood, white oak, walnut and hard maple, sliced at 30 degrees, 4 inches long. It's a random, but interesting quilted design that anyone can do, although it is a full day project, or at least for me it was. The bottom is plugged with a hard maple tapered plug. I only have 5 bowl chisels, so cleaning out the inside was quite a chattering challenge. The cup is 3 inches wide, but only 2 inches wide in the center.

2007322215632_penholder1.jpg

2007322215820_penholder3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Jeff, thats really neat. Nice finish too. Was this a present for the little lady from the tooth fairy? She's gonna be a heartbreaker for sure!![:D]

Does the bottom half follow the shape on the inside?

Mikey

Great idea!! I've been thinking about how I can display a few of my pens at the office without bringing in a pen roll or a case or some acrylic stand that looks out of place on a desk. A real attention getter[8D]

workinforwood

Thanx for the nice comments. I'm pretty new to turning. This is deffinitely the type of project that compliments pens and attracts some attention while at the office. I don't work in an office...or a semi truck is my office, but my wife is in an office, so I am using her as an advertisement in disguise...of course it's mostly just made with love.

It's really hard digging out such a long skinny tube. I'd suggest drilling into the center before using a chisel to hollow your way in. I don't think any kind of tool rest, even a home made one can get down into one of these. This holder is shaped on the inside just like on the outside..and at just a bit under 2 inches in the center is plenty of room for 5 or 6 pens. That's plenty of pens, because you don't really want it to be too crowded, or the pens will start to detract from one another. I'd certainly suggest sticking a feather in it with the pens too...for some added come look at me.

johncrane

That looks excellent Jeff!! now l can see a smaller version would look great sitting on the dash off my old Mack' it might get the mate's interested in a pen' also Jeff l love your daughter's cheeky smile she's gorgeous, brings back memories off my girls when they first lost there teeth.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom