Segmented Kitless Persuasion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Some many months ago, Mark James was really cranking out some awesome segmenting. A bunch of us turning friends were together SOMEWHERE in the midwest, when Mark suggested to me...Hey, wouldn't it be cool if you made a kitless pen using all wood? :oops: (This was my facial expression) I thought it was a great idea! Who's going to make it? So, I took up the challenge, and what a challenge it has been! So in trying to worm out of it...I told Mark, I would need a blank 7" long to keep it uniform. No problem he says! And that's what I received. So, when we had our Local chapter meeting at Rockler, I noticed a nice black blank in their blank scrap bin. I asked Rick how much for this African Blackwood blank? He said Take It! I did...😁 Here we have it! All wood segmented kitless Rollerball pen. Many thanks to Mark James for initiating this cool idea!

I kicked finishing ideas around for a long time, and settled on sanding through 12000 and applied Renaissance Wax. Ready for the next one!

Attachments

• DSCF0268 (2).JPG
    DSCF0268 (2).JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 343
  • DSCF0270 (2).JPG
    DSCF0270 (2).JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF0271 (2).JPG
    DSCF0271 (2).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCF0272 (2).JPG
    DSCF0272 (2).JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 338
  • DSCF0273 (2).JPG
    DSCF0273 (2).JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Chuck, if you think it's so horrible, let me help you out, you can send it to me. Then, it won't be sitting around you, bugging you as much as it can. Sure, if you want to pick it to pieces, you might find a few small issues. But with this being the first you've ever made, you should be gleaming with pride. I think it turned out amazing looking, especially, with it being your first one of this type of blank. Let me know if and when you want my address, I'll send it to you by P.M.

Len

Ironwood

Really nice work Chuck, and Mark.
Chuck, I can appreciate the challenges you had making this pen, timber doesn't play like resin and ebonite.
Thanks for showing us the results of your endeavours.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Really nice work Chuck, and Mark.
Chuck, I can appreciate the challenges you had making this pen, timber doesn't play like resin and ebonite.
Thanks for showing us the results of your endeavours.
Thanks Brad! Good thing about Blackwood, it's dense enough to cut threads on.

MRDucks2

You are already aware of my option: That is one sharp looking pen. Great job. Oh, and Quite Nice!

I know when you and Mark were at my shop at the same time last year the two of you were trying to figure out external diameter vs bore vs depth of segments.

This obviously took a lot of thought and planning. Plus, you got it finished before the race started! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You are already aware of my option: That is one sharp looking pen. Great job. Oh, and Quite Nice!

I know when you and Mark were at my shop at the same time last year the two of you were trying to figure out external diameter vs bore vs depth of segments.

This obviously took a lot of thought and planning. Plus, you got it finished before the race started! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Thanks Mike! That goes farther back than my memory will allow. I appreciate the reminder.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My Idea? 😏 If my memory serves me (it usually doesn't anymore), I was just sitting there minding my own business smelling the smoker that Mike was teasing us with for some awesome ribs, and the rest of you fine gents were conspiring. While the Chevron pattern was one I had done before, I had not done any 7" long (the initial brick was huge), and not in a three inlay blank.

Its always a hoot to see someone else take one of my humble blanks and create something I cannot. To see something as well done as this is a very special treat! I love the black end caps, It was a great design choice.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
LOL! I guess your memory is still better than mine. Either way, how ever it started, it was a real pleasure overall to have this opportunity to
actually make a pen I've thought about, but just never tried it. Thanks for your help Mark!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow great looking pen Chuck! the segments look great with the blackwood, i really like the segments showing thru the clip neat touch, also well done to Mark! very neat seg work it's very :cool: looking pen
Thank you John! I thought since the clip had the window, why not have the chevrons showing through?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Impressive! Do you know what the final thickeness of the pen walls is? Did you make a Blackwood tube suppport the blank?
Thank you Bryan! The cap is drilled 7/16ths deep enough for the section. Cap wall thickness, .115 OD is .655 at center band. Lower barrel is drilled .250 or maybe a little larger to clear for the refill. OD of lower barrel is .635 in the middle. The OD of the 9mm threaded inserts is .433 I didn't want to go any thinner with the tapers. So it's beefy enough to not be concerned about snapping it, yet still comfortable for use. A phone photo of the threaded parts attached.

Attachments

• kitless parts.jpg
    kitless parts.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 181
Very impressive pen, Chuck. To think this started from an idea and some scrap wood is very interesting. I look forward to seeing more in the future. I've got a blank from Mark that I need to turn once I get the huevo's to do it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very impressive pen, Chuck. To think this started from an idea and some scrap wood is very interesting. I look forward to seeing more in the future. I've got a blank from Mark that I need to turn once I get the huevo's to do it.
Thank you Tom! Mark builds his blanks well. Doesn't hurt to add some coats of thin CA as you turn them. Just for safety sake. Let's see it!!

magpens

Thank YOU, Chuck !! . You showed us something new ... at least I have never seen it before ... a kitless pen made with a beautifully segmented wood blank ! . That is a real accomplishment, in my opinion !!! . And the fact that it includes several threaded WOOD parts is also new to me !! . Great stuff

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is anincredibly awesome and beautiful pen. I couldn't imagine the time spent making the blank then the pen itself. Very well done gents!

The blank was done in a few hours and other than being a much longer dimension than I had done before (6 1/2" vs 3") went pretty well. I cut the slots on my lather mounted router, with a .250" slotting bit. My contribution was minimal to the challenges Chuck had to wrestle with.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 202
  • THEV1986.jpg
    THEV1986.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 207
  • OTKD2535.jpg
    OTKD2535.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 158
  • SEQB2744.JPG
    SEQB2744.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 163

Bryguy

Thank you Bryan! The cap is drilled 7/16ths deep enough for the section. Cap wall thickness, .115 OD is .655 at center band. Lower barrel is drilled .250 or maybe a little larger to clear for the refill. OD of lower barrel is .635 in the middle. The OD of the 9mm threaded inserts is .433 I didn't want to go any thinner with the tapers. So it's beefy enough to not be concerned about snapping it, yet still comfortable for use. A phone photo of the threaded parts attached.
Chuck, thanks for the picture. Most explanatory.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That is anincredibly awesome and beautiful pen. I couldn't imagine the time spent making the blank then the pen itself. Very well done gents!
Thank you Jay! It amazes me that Mark has the patience and skill to make these blanks. It was fun to turn this one into a semblance of a pen.

Charlie_W

Wow Chuck!!!! This pen is a winner for sure....and should be included in the front page lineup. Great work Mark and Chuck!
Will we be seeing one of these in the IAP Collection soon?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow Chuck!!!! This pen is a winner for sure....and should be included in the front page lineup. Great work Mark and Chuck!
Will we be seeing one of these in the IAP Collection soon?
Thanks Charlie! I doubt this will be either on the front page, or in the IAP collection. But I'm not finished making pens yet. ;)

Top Bottom