Segmated turned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dieseldoc

Dieseldoc

All time not spent on pen these are some of my other turning.Open and closed segmented .

Attachments

• IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Charlie,

I've done some very simple boxes and bowls, so a newbie.

What tools are you using for the outside and inside. And are you using different tools for the closed segmented vs the open segments? Just a few thoughts for the future.

Cheers, Mark

Dieseldoc

All time not spent on pen these are some of my other turning.Open and closed segmented .

Left to right
Walnut-Purple heart
Walnut-Maple with Cherry rim,base.
Walnut-Paduak
Silver Maple- Walnut.

I really like the silver Maple from Oregon, kind hard to find but sure turned nice.

Dieseldoc

G'Day Charlie,

I've done some very simple boxes and bowls, so a newbie.

What tools are you using for the outside and inside. And are you using different tools for the closed segmented vs the open segments? Just a few thoughts for the future.

Cheers, Mark

Mark:

For Closed stuff, just bowl gouges and shear scraping. Turn to 1/4 or less on the walls. The Silver Maple bowl is 1/8 on the walls.

Open Segments are a different story.

What I do on the lathe when building it out is to turn the inside and out side per my drawing with gouge and sheer scraping as I go. Got to be very careful not to catch, I have found by using large gouge rubbing the bevel I can keep the tool supported. For the rim on the inside I use a small disc cutter carbide. Again I try for 1/4 or less wall thickness.

I use lot of jigs for cutting, sanding and jig for putting the segments rings together. Major problem is keeping the vessel in axis alignment.

So far I have found trying to make segmented pen due to the small parts is much hard to do.
Keeping the too;s very sharp.

But if it were easy everyone would make them.

Cheers

Charlie

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
For Closed stuff, just bowl gouges and shear scraping. Turn to 1/4 or less on the walls. The Silver Maple bowl is 1/8 on the walls.

What I do on the lathe when building it out is to turn the inside and out side per my drawing with gouge and sheer scraping as I go. Got to be very careful not to catch, I have found by using large gouge rubbing the bevel I can keep the tool supported. For the rim on the inside I use a small disc cutter carbide. Again I try for 1/4 or less wall thickness.

I use lot of jigs for cutting, sanding and jig for putting the segments rings together. Major problem is keeping the vessel in axis alignment.

So far I have found trying to make segmented pen due to the small parts is much hard to do.

Charlie

Charlie,

1. How well does silver maple turn and work?

My daughter had to have a silver maple (20 inch diameter at base) cut down a couple of months ago. I got several pieces 24"- 28" long and sealed the ends. I'm looking forward to using them for bowls and some for other needs.

2. I appreciate the info you gave me on turning. I noticed you mentioned the wall thickness at 1/4" or less on your bowls (without segments); This is making me re-adjust my thinking on bowls as it is easy to focus on shape and design only.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Dieseldoc

Charlie

Charlie,

1. How well does silver maple turn and work?

My daughter had to have a silver maple (20 inch diameter at base) cut down a couple of months ago. I got several pieces 24"- 28" long and sealed the ends. I'm looking forward to using them for bowls and some for other needs.

2. I appreciate the info you gave me on turning. I noticed you mentioned the wall thickness at 1/4" or less on your bowls (without segments); This is making me re-adjust my thinking on bowls as it is easy to focus on shape and design only.
Thanks!

Hank:

Silver Maple is great wood for tuning,easy to turn and takes a finish very well.

I use Tung oil on all of my bowls.

Cheers

Charlie

F

Top Bottom