Second Dyed Pen - Curly Maple Trimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thomgarner

thomgarner

Sorry about not posting recently ... I was traveling and then had some health issues. I am back and trying some new processes. I have been interested in trying to dye some of my really light woods. My first attempt did not really go well though I was able to salvage it. This attempt went way better please let me know what you think.

Trimline Dyed  Blue 1 (1).jpg Trimline Dyed  Blue 1 (2).jpg Trimline Dyed  Blue 1 (3).jpg Trimline Dyed  Blue 1 (4).jpg Trimline Dyed  Blue 1 (5).jpg Trimline Dyed  Blue 1 (6).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Very well done. I would buy them if I saw them in a store. Sorry to hear about your health issues.

George883

Hi Tom, looks great. I had some issues dying Oak then trying to put a CA finish on it. What technique did you use and what type of dye

thomgarner

Very nice! What dye did you use and how did you apply it?
I used Keda powder (blue), the mix was 6 tablespoons of isopropyl alcohol and 1/8 teaspoon of powder dye.
Let it rest for 24 hours.
I shaped the pen and sanded to 1500 grit on the lathe.
I started to applied the dye while on the lathe. I put 7 coats of dye and in between the coats I let the dye dry 10 minutes.
I then applied 6 coats of medium CA and allowed the CA to dry over night.
Micomeshed from 1500 - 12,00 grit and then buffed out.

I am going to try also Transtint dyes soon. I have purchased three colors from Amazon to try on my next pen.

magpens

Very nice work, Tom .... I love the color ... a very "royal" match for the hardware !!!

As I understand ... the pen was dyed after the turning/shaping ... right ?

George883

I used Keda powder (blue), the mix was 6 tablespoons of isopropyl alcohol and 1/8 teaspoon of powder dye.
I started to applied the dye while on the lathe. I put 7 coats of dye and in between the coats I let the dye dry 10 minutes.

I am going to try also Transtint dyes soon. I have purchased three colors from Amazon to try on my next pen.
Thanks Tom. I used Transtint dye (on White Oak) and even after 24 hours of drying time when I applied the CA it would cause the dye to come off and I'd have blotches under what CA managed to stick to the blank. Any suggestions, thanks.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well done Tom. The blanks are excellent, and the finished pen is very attractive.

Thanks for sharing.

KenB259

I have had success with trans tint dyes. I let them dry over a couple of days before applying CA.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

MRDucks2

That was the plan, yes ... trying for the Gibson Les Paul look ...

That's what I thought but wanted to verify. I had someone request dyed stabilized blanks and indicated they wanted some of the wood to show for a rustic look. Thought I achieved that with a combination of mostly dyed wood with some non-dyed striations. Response was they wanted a more solid color. Achieved solid colors then they indicated they wanted them to look like a couple they had without the inclusions. They sent photos of double dyed burls. I gave up at that point. Did learn to dye-stabilize blanks, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

thomgarner

Thanks Tom. I used Transtint dye (on White Oak) and even after 24 hours of drying time when I applied the CA it would cause the dye to come off and I'd have blotches under what CA managed to stick to the blank. Any suggestions, thanks.
First I am a newbie in the dying world. So my first question would be, what did you use to dilute the dye with? If you used water then that may have caused some of the blotching. It is also incompatible with mineral spirits. I would use alcohol, alcohol reduced TransTint dyes dissolves in either denatured alcohol, or 99% Isopropanol. As to the mixture that is a really a trial and error to get the color you want. Also keep notes on the mixture you make up for future coloring. I am going to use the liquid transtint instead of the powder (Keda) that I have for my next dye project.

Good luck

Top Bottom