Seam Rippers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dhallnc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I get mine at the Dollar Store. But someone here did a group buy a few months ago that was a few cents cheaper.

There are at least three kinds of rippers :

- some have the blade embedded in the plastic body. These usually have a clear plastic cap. In this design, the body must be cut off so that the end can be embedded in the turning. The clear plastic cap continues to be used as a cap that is removed the stripper is used.

- the other design has the blade embedded in a short bit of plastic. This is inserted into a longer body. In this case, the end of the body is cut off and embedded in the turning, and the blade extension. The blade piece is stored in the turned body, and must be removed and reversed for use.

- I've also seen a few designs where the body is rectangular rather than circular in cross-section. I haven't figured out how to embed one of these in a turned spindle.

ldubia

Where do you get your seam rippers from? Are any of better quality than the others?

Thanks
Darryl

Hi Daryl.
I am the person who did the monstrous buy of seam rippers. My rippers are the Dritz small handled ones. sale-ripper-1.jpg

There are two ways of doing the rippers. The first is the method explained to you. The second is explained in the tutorial attached. View attachment Seam Ripper Tutorial.pdf This method allows the ripper to be replaced if it breaks or gets dull. This allows the person to keep the nice handle made for it and simply insert a new blade at a cost of about $2.
If it is embedded in the wood it is not replaceable.

If you need some rippers, please let me know via email or PM. I can get them to you at $.75 apiece plus $5 shipping in the US.

Last edited:

glycerine

Where do you get your seam rippers from? Are any of better quality than the others?

Thanks
Darryl

Hi Daryl.
I am the person who did the monstrous buy of seam rippers. My rippers are the Dritz small handled ones. View attachment 42617

There are two ways of doing the rippers. The first is the method explained to you. The second is explained in the tutorial attached. View attachment 42616 This method allows the ripper to be replaced if it breaks or gets dull. This allows the person to keep the nice handle made for it and simply insert a new blade at a cost of about $2.
If it is embedded in the wood it is not replaceable.

If you need some rippers, please let me know via email or PM. I can get them to you at $.75 apiece plus $5 shipping in the US.

As long as it isn't glued in, it is replaceable. I've made them with a small hole and just "pressed" the metal part in with pliers, the same way they are in the blue handle when you buy them. At least that's the way mine came and they are the same brand.

KenV

and if you use just a touch of epoxy or CA thick at the bottom of the hole in a wood, corian, or acrylic holder, a little heat pops it free for replacement.

The tenon on the plastic ones tapers from 0.270 at the front to 0.280 at back and the plastic cover engages only the last 1/8 inch or so of the 0.500 long tenon.

I set the protrusion of the seam ripper at about 1 1/8 inches or so

1/8th inch hole is over sized and a 64th smaller is about right for a tight fit.

these are fun to do -- and you can turn a cap to go on the tenon too.

ldubia

and if you use just a touch of epoxy or CA thick at the bottom of the hole in a wood, corian, or acrylic holder, a little heat pops it free for replacement.

The tenon on the plastic ones tapers from 0.270 at the front to 0.280 at back and the plastic cover engages only the last 1/8 inch or so of the 0.500 long tenon.

I set the protrusion of the seam ripper at about 1 1/8 inches or so

1/8th inch hole is over sized and a 64th smaller is about right for a tight fit.

these are fun to do -- and you can turn a cap to go on the tenon too.

Now THAT I didn't know. Thanks Ken for clarifying that for me. Now I can try both ways! :biggrin:

Top Bottom