Turnings for 2011

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldubia

ldubia

I have made a few things for the new year. Some I have pics of and others not yet. Here are some things I have pics of.

This is a natural edge bowl of was tree. It is 6" x2.75 tall. The walls are about 3/32"...Maybe an 1/8" Finish is 5 coats wipe on poly.
NE bowl-1.jpgNE bowl-2.jpgNE bowl-3.jpgNE bowl-5.jpg

This next one is a pair of Bacote (I think) bowls. They are 3"x 2.5" with 1/16" walls. Finish is triple E goop and Ren wax.
Bacote Bowl-1.jpgBacote Bowl-3.jpgBacote Bowl-4.jpgBacote bowl 2-1.jpgBacote Bowl 2-4.jpgBacote Bowl 2-5.jpg

Next up are a series of pin cushions that actually sharpen the sewing needle when used. They contain sand instead of foam. And yes, I did the sewing and everything. The sizes vary according to the piece of wood being used. Typical is around 3". All are finished with spray gloss lacquer and ren wax.
Eucalyptus pincushion.jpgRedwood pincushion 1.jpgRedwood pincushion3.jpgWastree pincushion.jpgRedwood pincushion 2.jpgWalnut pincushion.jpg

Last up is the Koa bowl I turned. It is 4" x 2.5" tall. Finish is EEE cream and Mylands friction polish followed up with Ren Wax.
Koa bowl-1.jpgKoa bowl-2.jpgKoa bowl-3.jpgKoa bowl-4.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Happy New Year all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

You may be turning in your grave , but my stomach turns immediately at the thought of a 1/16 unsupported sidewall !! If I wore a hat , it would be off to you .

The piece was actually quite strong. The wall was thinned down as I worked toward the bottom. I kind of snuck up on it with VERY LIGHT cuts using a bowl gouge. I had no idea it was that thin until I turned off the lathe. I used a Sorby bowl sander (small version) to sand it.

Thank you Jennifer for the kind words. I was having too much fiun in the shop (again). :biggrin:

keithlong

I like em all, Larry, you done a great job on em all. I turned another natural edge bowl and got the wall too thin, it split once it dried. I kind a like it though. Will try to post it later.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I really love that pin cushion design. Is the cloth pouch a single layer, or a fine inner layer to contain the sand and a pretty outer layer?

ldubia

sand bag

I really love that pin cushion design. Is the cloth pouch a single layer, or a fine inner layer to contain the sand and a pretty outer layer?

Single layer of cloth both sides.
I made a bag out of two layers of cloth. I sewed them inside out with a small hole to turn right side out. I then poured the and through a funnel into the bag and hand sewed it shut.

I took one over to a sewing shop nearby and she ordered 6! I just delivered these to her at $12.50 wholesale to her. I do them in different sizes and styles and woods. I am even going to try some in acrylic...after I make a large mold for it. :eek::eek::rolleyes: It seems the ladies like the acrylic bright colors over the woods. The proprietor has now asked me to make sewing boxes for them to sell.

Seems I have a different niche than I had imagined. I started with pens and bottle stoppers. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Bottom