Sealed smoke detectors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

The builder wired smoke detectors started the dreaded low battery Chirp. I want to replace them with a 10 year sealed battery unit. Which is the best unit to use. Kidde or First Alert or other. Thanks.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I can relate! Our home is 19 years old, and we still have the original smoke detectors. Wife tests them periodically - she calls it cooking - and they still work fine.

But I know that they need to be replaced. I started doing research on replacements two years ago, but my attention was diverted by the pandemic. So the replacement project is on the calendar for this winter.

Our builder used FireEx line-voltage units without batteries, but they are no longer available - Kidde bought FireEx. Today, they only sell battery powered units, or line-voltage units with a backup battery. So the choice for us comes down to either sealed units with non-replaceable batteries, or units with replaceable batteries. And as to brands, its either Kidde or First Alert, (I'm not going to rely on unknown brands for something this important) and I'm cynical enough to believe that there isn't a great deal of difference between the two major suppliers..

The problem is that there are two ways that smoke detectors die - one is that the smoke detector element itself fails (it has a small radioactive source with a fixed half-life) and the other is that the battery fails. I'm inclined to go with detectors with replaceable batterires on the basis that I have more confidence in the advertised half-life of the alpha source in the detector than I do in the quality-control by the battery manufacturer. I can easily replace batteries w- and it's not a bad plan to use standard alkaline batteries and replace them annually.

I've thought about using lithium batteries, because that's what the non-replaceable batteries are, but they are pretty pricey and you can't always be sure that the life that you will get is what they advertise. My plan is to go with Kidde detectors with replaceable 9v batteries, and use standard alkaline batteries. I will choose detectors with a battery compartment that is accessible from the front so that I don't have to dismount the detectors to replace the batteries.

The other choice is whether to include the CO detector function. You really don't need for every smoke detector to also be a CO detector, and the combination units have a poor track record. Some of our neighbors have combination units and have had several false alarm calls to the fire company. CO is heavier than air, so we get by with a separate plug-in CO detector outside our main-floor master bedroom.

The one thing to be careful of is that were was a recall a year or so ago when some of these units were found to not be working. Makre sure that whatever you get isn't one of the ones that was recalled.

monophoto

Frank; Hard wired smoke alarms are required by code in residences. Silly I know, but fact. Kidde has smoke alarms that are linked with wireless connection. If one goes off, they all sound. I have one in upstairs bedroom area, one in rec room with fireplace, and one in workarea.
Actually, the rules are imposed by states and can be different from one state to another.

WriteON

Im addition to a hard wired system we have a wireless security system with wireless smoke detectors and they are monitored. I will depend on those for now. If hardwire is mandatory code I will do whatever is called for. For now I still want the sealed 10 year units. The big issue is the ceiling height … I'd change batteries every 6 months but can't.

Last edited:

Amanap

Kidde and First Alert are both highly rated and you cant go wrong with either. Another option is Goggle Nest if you want to monitor when not at home. I have a Google ecosystem with cameras, locks, door bell and smoke detectors. I get instant notifications whenever something is triggered. I believe Amazon ha s a similar smoke detector and ecosystem but I am not up to speed on their products.

WriteON

Currently looking for hardwired /sealed battery. I'm in a one floor house. Interconnected is not a must have (I think, I guess)

monophoto

Currently looking for hardwired /sealed battery. I'm in a one floor house. Interconnected is not a must have (I think, I guess)
Frank

Interconnected smoke detectors are a great idea, and are easy to install in new construction where it's a trivial matter to wire them together. But retrofitting an interconnected system into an existing home would be a challenge (although probably still doable in a single-story home where you have access to the overhead crawlspace/attic).

I notice from your bio that you have homes in both Pennsylvania and Florida. William's post suggest something you might want to think about. Having smoke detectors that you can connect to a home Wi-Fi system for remote monitoring will provide the ability to get a message on your phone if an alarm goes off in you 'other' place.

Traditional smoke alarms are primarily intended to alert residents of the home to a fire so that they can escape. They have a secondary purpose in allowing the residents to call the fire department and hopefully minimize damage, but that secondary purpose only works if you are actually in residence. Wi-Fi enabled alarms let you call for help even if you are not there.

And you might want so explore whether your fire insurance company would give you a discount for having Wi-Fi enabled alarms that would help offset the additional cost.

WriteON

Frank

Interconnected smoke detectors are a great idea, and are easy to install in new construction where it's a trivial matter to wire them together. But retrofitting an interconnected system into an existing home would be a challenge (although probably still doable in a single-story home where you have access to the overhead crawlspace/attic).

I notice from your bio that you have homes in both Pennsylvania and Florida. William's post suggest something you might want to think about. Having smoke detectors that you can connect to a home Wi-Fi system for remote monitoring will provide the ability to get a message on your phone if an alarm goes off in you 'other' place.

Traditional smoke alarms are primarily intended to alert residents of the home to a fire so that they can escape. They have a secondary purpose in allowing the residents to call the fire department and hopefully minimize damage, but that secondary purpose only works if you are actually in residence. Wi-Fi enabled alarms let you call for help even if you are not there.

And you might want so explore whether your fire insurance company would give you a discount for having Wi-Fi enabled alarms that would help offset the additional cost.
We added Detectors that are monitored by a central station. I like the concept of WiFi but for whatever reason it not always dependable. Regardless thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Top Bottom