Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real name in profile only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Tim:(if that is your real name???[:D][:D])

I like the size better but what happened to the animation?? It was unique.....I liked it!!!!!

The problem with adding a lot of animations to sigs (depending on their size), is that for us dial-up users, the page begins to load very slowly. If you throw in a bunch of pen pictures on top of that, it's like watching grass grow. [V]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Since I have opinions on almost everything, it surprises even myself that I haven't posted on this topic yet. Maybe, because I just feel that it is not all that important. But feelings do run strong on this subject. Even though the internet is about 15 years 'new' in most households in many ways it is still a crawling infant. As wonderous as the new discoveries are, dangers exist. Privacy and anonimity are highly valued by most Americans. Use of nicknames is O.K. but the danger is that there are those who live some strange lives vicariously on the internet. I'm an old-line, hard nosed Goldwater conservative and die-hard Constitutionalist. But reality is that privacy in the real world is no more. I will reveal my name on some lists, others I prefer to avoid crackpot e-mails. Particpation on various discussion lists have made me dozens of e-friends. And, I have managed to meet a number in person who are now close, in person, friends. One came from England and spent almost two weeks with me and other, previous e-friends, hunting and discussing history. Another and his wife spent a week in our home traveling from Hawaii. And there are a dozen more who might drop in or would welcome me in their homes on little or no notice. Whatever the subject, pens, old guns, history, I believe that America of old still exists in commonality of mutual interests and trust.

Randy_

Originally posted by timdaleiden... The problem with adding a lot of animations to sigs (depending on their size), is that for us dial-up users, the page begins to load very slowly. If you throw in a bunch of pen pictures on top of that, it's like watching grass grow. [V]

Tim: I'm on dial-up and haven't noticed a problem???

bigvoots44

Tim.
what is wrong with ealking to a doghouse.I personally havent done it,at least I think not...but,,,there has been times i have been in a condition where I have spoken to strange things. It is nicer to be able to speak to a person by name.
fred

MDWine

I don't really care what name a person uses.
When I find that I can communicate with someone, and we are getting along, we usually start sending email, and we then learn more personal information about each other.
(then I go to their house and take their wood, huh, Tom? [:D] )

The main thing is that we get along with each other, show respect to each other, and give me more wood! [:p] (Hey, I did take Tom some Plum!! [;)])

BigRob777

I agree with Chuck also. My wife is scared to use her name on the internet. It took a miracle for me to get her OK to post our picture in Bev's "What do you look like?" topic. I think that it would be OK for the moderators to have that information, but I think that there are too many Kooks on the internet and anyone can come in here and look people up, without being members. I worked in the prison system and have counselled countless people, who are seriously disturbed.
People cherish their privacy. I am far from being a "fearful guy", but I can understand people's apprehension. I was also a bouncer for many years (back when I wasn't a nice guy) and I really wouldn't want someone seeing my name and address, if I had tossed him out of a bar. [B)] I guess that's more than you asked for, but there it is.

I enjoy the screen names as a game to guess what they mean. Kinda like reading car tags. It also gives a person some privacy if they feel that it is needed. I do think that there should be a listing of all members that perhaps only the moderators can access if there is a need for communication. Some sort of safeguards where it takes more thaqn one moderator to be able to access the records. This would be a list that would not be used to sale or give to other groups, etc.

I also think that flamers or whatever should have a moderator contact them once and if there is not immediate correction then that individual should be locked from the forum on that issue and the offending reply should be removed. The offender should be blocked until an apology is made to the one offended/ flamed. If the same person does it (flames) again then the group of mods get together further action can be taken by contacting the offending person and confronting him/her as a group. The offensive remarks should be removed and that person should be blocked until the offender issues an apology. The 3rd offense should bring expulsion from the group. Yes this is what Jesus taught us to do and it works when we are not being vindictive in our actions.

I also understand that we all have our bad hair days but we are primarily a group of adults that should handle ourselves in an adult like manner. We can be passionate about something without being insulting or offensive. We do have younger members or children of members who read this and we set the example.

Sorry this was long winded but I AM A PREACHER[:D]

Ben

I guess I am extremely naieve... I havn't ever belonged to an online group before this one, but I simply assumed that to get to know everyone better, it would be in MY best interest to use MY real name... Ben. I didn't really ever see a need to use any OTHER name. This doesn't change the fact that I DID also include my JEDI NAME!!! Look for the UPCOMING POST on " How to figure out YOUR JEDI NAME!!!"... Thanks again for the best group out here...

2005626184841_jedi.gif

BigRob777

Regarding what Pastor Bill said,
I agree completely. In order to sell anything in the individual classifieds, we are suppposed to give our full name, city, and state, I believe. Bill's idea would be better, I think. Also for the non-selling forums, it would work. I wholeheartedly agree with his depiction of due process according to the Word. It works in tens of thousands of churches around the world.[:)]

scalawagtoo

i just scrolled thru the fonts but there isn't any Babylonian Cuneiform; darn, can't use my Sumerian name!

I got mildly flamed the other day over a confused post.

No problem, I'll just take some extra meds.

opfoto

I agree to disagree, but sometimes I disagree to agree. This all seems very clear. Do as you wish... but the flamers should be forwarned. Thou shalt be bound to the paddocks, stoned by the vast membership and subjected to the Boot from this forum. nuf said.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone or everyone, it is being "disagreeable" that we are needing to confront. It is much like several of the posts have mentioned, there are only a few that think it is OK to blast the person with whom they disagree. As long as we (IAP) does not have a recognized way of dealing with the offender(s) then they will continue to offend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom