• Real name in profile only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
On some forums you must have your real name as your screen name or you can not participate.
This is done to help eliminate personal flaming and problems...
Do you think we should do the same thing here...
Or at the very least, all members should have their real name in their profile...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BogBean

I belong to many blogs, groups, lists on the internet and this group is the best. I think we should leave it alone. If it is not broke don't fix it...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Griz,

I don't have a preference.

Of course, Joe Smith, John Doe and Ed Brown may have to have assigned numbers as well as a name.

Ed Brown

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Tom, I didn't vote as I felt the options were too limited. No, I don't have a better set of options. Personally, I feel better if a person's name is at least in their profile.

rtjw

Griz, I ran a forum for our community that I live in. We had so many problems with people anonymously bashing people that we had to go to listing your real name and a phone number that the moderators could reach you at. I think it is a good idea because then people cant bash each other without being held responsible.

Ligget

I would like at least a christian name in their signiture.
It is great to be able to mention their "real" name when thanking them for help etc..
Instead of thanks WXYZ1919 or whatever![;)]

dubdrvrkev

I use the same s/n for all the forums I use as well as email etc. I guess it is my alter ego. However, I think that a real name is nice in a signature, so you can have some idea who you are talking to. Also so many of us have s/n's that are weird enough that they make no sense to others. I have had questions about mine more than once although it seems obvious to me what it means. [;)]

mikes pens

All I know is that I was made to make and sell pens. As you can notice, I go by mike's pens and my real name is Mike Spence.

mikes pens
Mike Spence

say both lines above a few times and you will get it. <b></b>

Woodbutcher68

If there are problems with people flaming and personal attacks, the moderators and administrators have the power to edit, delete or pull the post from view. A board I used to Admin on had a "Pull and Paste" area that we put questionable posts in to for holding and discussion among the Mods and Admins. If it was decided that the post was acceptable, it was reposted, if not it was deleted. We also sent a Private Message to the poster telling him why the post was removed. We had problems every day, most of which were caused by the owner, so I left.

swm6500

I think that the real name at least in the profile would be nice. I use the same screen name for a lot of things as it is just easier to remember one name than a dozen or so.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have been known as Eagle since the mid 80's. When I lived in Key West I received mail once with the following address:
Eagle
Sunset celebration
Mallory Square
Key West Fla(zip)
Since there is no requirement to be a member of IAP to view albums or view posts I will not use a real name on this site,
If it is or was required to register that's one thing but with all that goes on in the world today I will choose whom I let into my life.
If some would like to e-mail me and I get to know them well enough to offer or ask for a phone number then after speaking with them CHOOSE to let them ente even more into my life it will be of my choosing not because a forum rule was changed.
I have been a member of a successful fellowship that has been in existance for over 70 years, it's members far exceed any membership role this forum could hope for. This fellowship pides itself on anonimity and it's purpose is far more important to me than the exchanges I have on this forum.
I have been a member there for almost 12 years but I may be off by one it's late.
I have no problems registerng with my real name and heck I only have one e-mail address and that's the one I used.
IT's bad enough that non members can view albums and posts.
Usng a real name as a screen name?
NOPE!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Just thought of something, my screen name is more like my real name and if I used my real name then it really would be considered a be considered a fake name.
Nope still aint changing my screen name.

ldimick

One thing that REAL NAMES can be used for is to judge the validity of a person making a post. It is much easier to make snide remarks when you can hide.

glm1157

Does anyone actually know that using real names will stop the flaming and bashing? I don't think so. People are still going to mis-read a post or have a bad-hair day or whatever and flames are going to happen.

Gary Manning

Thumbs

I think any author/screen name is fine....... Some of them are interesting and informative; they make you curious about your fellow turners and induce you to check them out. However, I think the "real name" signature should always be included at the tail end of the post as many of us do here. I do have some problem with our signature pictures and quotes! Just because they take up so much screen room! Some times you have to do an awful lot of scrolling just for one or two word replies. Am I missing a way to inhibit pictures/graphics/witticisms in the signature portion of the posts without losing the signature itself?

NO! I am not complaining about anybody's pictures/graphics/witticisms but after a few hundred times the freshness begins to pale..... Know what I mean? Sorry, did I get off track here, again?[}:)][;)]

Hope I didn't step on anybody's toes! If I did, feel free to step back on mine! I wear steel tips all the time to protect them![:p][}:)][:p]

Randy_

I use my real name and I flame and get flamed just as much as if I were "XXXYYYZZZ." And how would you to enforce it?? Not much difference in signing up with a screen name and a false "real name" that I can see and how do you stop people from doing that?? I think it is fine the way it is.

D***, here I go agreeing with cteaglesc again. With so much scamming and other crap going on on the Internet these days, I think there is a lot to be said for maintaining as much privacy as possible!!

jwoodwright

I believe this is a great site and we all need to remember we are different. We share a craft and given the same set of directions, we still manage to put our personal touch on the pen. I only wish the "flaming" would stop...[:I]

Doghouse

I have a home persona, and an online persona. Remember that we are not the only ones who view this. Yes it is great that we give personal names and cities so that others from the hobby can get in touch. BUT the big problem is that every web crawler out there INCLUDING the ones by hackers can also read all this information.

I have called a few members only to have them ask how I had their number. When I explained the 3-5 steps to find it, they were stunned. Many of us have invested good money in tools, and wood. A professional thief could watch and find out when people were not going to be around, use the name and address and boom,,, You are out everything!

Always be careful about merging your online and offline persona's you never know the cost.

Am I paranoid? No I work in the Internet / software security business.
(JMHO - not a Moderator related post)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I can't resist a second response to this poll. The only openly hostile posts that I have had directed at me were from people who used my REAL first name or were careful to simply make thinly veiled comments without reference to a name at all. As for my screen name, I've made many email friends on this site who were curious about my screen name. Maybe it's just hard to be offend a Bluesman... after all, most of us have hellhounds on our trail already.

woodwish

Although I see all sides of this I think SN's are an interesting thign to have and to read aobut others. christian names are given to us at birth and really do not always reflect who we are. Nicknames/Screenames do reflect something about us. It would be interesting to know why Tom goes by "Ol' Griz", maybe it reflects who he is better than Tom. I know a lot of Tom's but he is the only Ol Griz I know. Same with Eagle, I sure there's a great story there.

If you stay in forums long you learn to ignore flamers, they are the same buttheads you deal with in line at Wally World and other "real" places. I ignore buttheads at work, in the store, at craft shows, and online. The world is too full of good people to let a few bad ones bug me, at least most of the time [:)]

"Ray" to most people
"Raymond" to my wife and immediate family
"Wish" to most students
"Mr. Wishart" to people that know me formally
"Mr. Wise-heart" to all those idiot telemarketers
"Wizard" to all my former listeners on the radio (Rock n' Roll forever baby!)
"Woodwish" to all my various woodworking forums members
"Rev. Ray" to my seminary class (although that sounds more like a DJ name)
"Dad" to my own children, and many of my students on my productions staff at school
"long-haired burned-out hippie" to people that don't like me in person

I think you get the idea, call me whatever you want, I answer to them all. By the way, I did get a telemarketer call here last week wanting to speak with "Mr. Woodwish" about a business loan. I just laughed that someone went through the time to track down a phone number for a screen name to offer me a loan.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Tom goes by Old Griz because when he was younger (many eons ago) his buddies called him Bear... now that he is ancient and grizzled in appearance.. he is Old Griz... [:p]

BTW, I am really glad to see this poll has not started any wars or screaming or gnashing of teeth... I started it because of another forum I belong to that will not allow a SN other than your real name and another forum that mandates you must fill out the profile with your real name and at least the town and state you live in (did not join that one)...
I am not trying to force or make any changes here... was more curious about how everyone else felt about it...

rtparso

I for one am getting tired of looking at half of Tom's signature picture. The other half is ALMOST as cute as my granddaughter.[8D]

20056418417_Flirt.jpg
<br />

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
My preference is for real names in your <b>profile</b>. That's accessible only by members. I don't have any real preference for username. I actually get a kick out of some of the wacky usernames here.

patsfan

With the amount of information that is available about people on the internet, I choose to go by Patsfan. I have no problem identifying myself to people I have contact with, but do not wish to toss my identity out to anyone who may stop by. Rather than stopping flaming or spam, IMHO,it can allow it to become far more focused and personal.

Mike

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />. I do have some problem with our signature pictures and quotes! Just because they take up so much screen room!

Is this better Bob? I have just been playing around with animations lately, and mine was beginning to bug me too. The pages that I post to should load more quickly now, and take up less screen.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Always be careful about merging your online and offline persona's you never know the cost.

Am I paranoid? No I work in the Internet / software security business.
(JMHO - not a Moderator related post)

Ya' know, it is so hard to respond to somebody named Doghouse.

I think someone can safely put their real first name at the end of their posts without worrying about identity theft, hackers, etc.

I like responding to real people, instead of personas. I don’t mind silly screen names, but responding to a screen name sometimes feels silly, like right now. I have never talked to actual doghouses, and I hope I never will. [:p][:p]

So be brave everybody, sign your posts with at least your real first name, so we don't have to respond to silly screen names.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Tim, This is something I posted before and many members put their name and location in the signature block. This led to many members finding other members near them. [:)]

John,

The location thing is nice if somebody wants to include that. Anybody here can find me if they are curious enough. I just think it would be nice to include a real first name. What is there to be afraid of???

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by timdaleiden
<br />
Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />. I do have some problem with our signature pictures and quotes! Just because they take up so much screen room!

Is this better Bob? I have just been playing around with animations lately, and mine was beginning to bug me too. The pages that I post to should load more quickly now, and take up less screen.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

Tim,

I agree that sometimes it feels strange to "talk" to some of the screen names. I think of the group as a friendly (mostly [;)]) forum, and prefer to use given names or nicknames like Griz and Eagle. For those who hesitate to post their real names, just remember this: Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you! [:D]

Also, I got to agree with Bob, thanks for reducing your signature. It is novel, but a small size serves the purpose without hogging space, so to speak. How soon will be before we have someone post a video of them turning a pen for their signature?

rtjw

Originally posted by woodwish
<br />Although I see all sides of this I think SN's are an interesting thign to have and to read aobut others. christian names are given to us at birth and really do not always reflect who we are. Nicknames/Screenames do reflect something about us. It would be interesting to know why Tom goes by "Ol' Griz", maybe it reflects who he is better than Tom. I know a lot of Tom's but he is the only Ol Griz I know. Same with Eagle, I sure there's a great story there.

I have to agree with you on this one. I have been called many names by people throughout my life.

It started out as:

"Johnny Lee Wooten" then

"Johnny Wooten" until I was about 5 then

"Rooten Tooten Johnny Wooten" until Jr High then because it was too long just

"RTJW" but people didnt like the initials being too long so it became...

"RT"

So now people I meet get to know me and someone else comes up to me and says "Hey RT" the person asks me why do they call you RT, your initials aren't RT.

But in a round about way, they actually are.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom