Scalloped blank first attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Angela S

Angela S

This is my first attempt at a scalloped blank. I need to find a way to make more precise cuts.
A0FFF6FF-E796-4F4F-8A54-05BDEED25D6D.jpeg

81E541C4-3A73-4523-941D-13647F9CE838.jpeg
F49592A5-7E3A-4D8C-A166-1A3442C8AA01.jpeg
C25A6EE9-0D14-4252-8088-A00D603B0D75.jpeg
69DC8348-613A-4BC2-9C8D-DAD5ECF401E6.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

What are you using to make cuts?? Maybe show us your setup and we can tweak it for you.

Will say this to be successful especially for a beginner you need to start with a square blank and work off that. This will help many ways.

Angela S

What are you using to make cuts?? Maybe show us your setup and we can tweak it for you.

I am currently just using my table saw and crosscut sled that I made as one of my first projects. It has some play in the runners which was fine when the cuts I was making did have to be so precise. I just need to make a dedicated sled for pen blanks.

jttheclockman

Many different style of sleds. Solid one angle sled or an adjustable angle sled. Need to decide how you want to go. For those scallops you would want some with a steeper angle that what those are. Tablesaw is a good choice.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just to add to what JT has said..
You will also need ensure you can drill bang on in the middle.
I actually prefer to do scallops on round stock and indexed in my lathe. Then a jig to guide a router to cut the angles. The beauty of this method is every cut and even the hole is done about the centre point only.

jttheclockman

Just to add to what JT has said..
You will also need ensure you can drill bang on in the middle.
I actually prefer to do scallops on round stock and indexed in my lathe. Then a jig to guide a router to cut the angles. The beauty of this method is every cut and even the hole is done about the centre point only.
That there is above a beginners level but you are right when it comes to drilling for the tube.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yep, perhaps a tad advanced, but something to aim for maybe.
Here's a link to what i mean. I show my method a few posts down the thread.

jttheclockman

Here is one that was going to be pretty when done but I made the drastic mistake of using CA. I may revisit this one at some later date. Even you would have liked this one Skip. Done on a tablesaw. Would have more design also but never got it far enough.

Attachments

• IMGP1034.JPG
    IMGP1034.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 167

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ah, dont be so modest buddy, you know i'm a massive fan of everything you make, do and say😊

Just another point that some folks miss when using a saw sled....not only do the 4 sides need to be square, but also the blank end that you reference your stop block to, too. If that is rough cut at an angle it will throw off your accuracy. 😉

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Keep at it Angela - You have made great strides in a short period. Take careful notes for the areas to tweak and have fun making the jigs that assist you for what you have.

Very nice.

John Eldeen

Angela your work is looking good you do have a ways to go but you will get there. There is some good advice already posted here. I will just throw this out there a good sled for your table saw will go farther to improving your segmenting than you can imagine. I have an adjustable angle fence on my sled and could not live without it now that I have it.

Top Bottom