Saving memories with wood!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alankulwicki7

alankulwicki7

Hey all,
I love making things from wood that came from trees lost to a storm or disease. Here are some things for a client that lost a Cherry tree and removed some Buckthorn from their property.

The bowl is Cherry and has some burl in it. The inclusions were filled with epoxy and Chrysocolla (a mineral similar to Turquoise). It's about 8" across. The pen and bottle stopper were both made with Buckthorn.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• cherry1.jpg
    cherry1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 184
  • cherry2.jpg
    cherry2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 176
  • cherry3.jpg
    cherry3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 176
  • cherry4.jpg
    cherry4.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 177

RegisG

Beautiful & great idea. I have access to some trees downed by storms but, don't know how to properly prepare for turning.

Any tops or links on drying?
Thanks,
Regis

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Beautiful & great idea. I have access to some trees downed by storms but, don't know how to properly prepare for turning.

Any tops or links on drying?
Thanks,
Regis

It's generally best to seal the ends of logs as soon as possible to minimize cracking as the wood dries. Lots of folks use a wood sealer like Anchorseal but many just use house paint.

It's also good to keep the logs off the ground (I use old shipping pallets) & covered.

Those are the basic steps, then let them air dry for 2-3 years or so.

There are a number of things you can do to process them sooner & accelerate drying if you don't want to wait that long. There are also a number of ways to encourage spalting while the logs dry if you want to do that. There have been many discussions about this over the years & there's lots of on-line information too. It's hard to give specific information without knowing more about what you have & your objectives, but feel free to ask any questions you might have as you get started on this aspect of the Hobby.

Top Bottom