Saving a blank!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I am turning two Slimline pens as giveaways for an archery tournament tomorrow. One is flame box elder (my wife's favorite wood). The first part turned fine. The second part had a chip fly off about 3/4 of the way. Not good. I stopped the lathe and could see the tube in a knothole. What would McGyver do? Don't know as he never turned a pen. I put the bad spot at the 12 o'clock position on the lathe and put a drop of think CA glue in the place. A pinch of chips were placed on the glue and pressed it into place. Hit it with a shot of accelerator and waited several minutes. Brushed off the loose chips and started to turn- very light cuts. It came out much better than I anticipated. I finished turning the blank and applied two coats of medium CA and six coats of thin CA. Attached photo shows the finished blank. Photo rotated!

Attachments

• 20190207_112939.jpg
    20190207_112939.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You Mcgyvered it for sure. I've had chip out like that too and do the same thing. I also bought some of those little plastic cups that you put your Ketchup in at McDonald's and use those to save saw dust from the different woods I use. Works well and I've never heard any complaints from anyone. Just make sure to get the clear cups and get the lids too. I write the saw dust type on the lid.

greenacres2

I've used coffee grounds (dry, crushed), tea (from tea bags), similar and contrasting saw/sanding dust, and powdered turquoise, lapis, aluminum and copper. For the powders and fine sanding dust, i usually apply the dust dry, then add a drop of CA which carries the powder all the way into the tube and fills any crevices that haven't yet been revealed. A quick dusting on top makes sure i'm at least even on the surface.

I found that if i put the CA in first i didn't always get the filler all the way down--same with trying to make a paste/slurry. May not be the best method, but it's been working for me.
earl

Woodchipper

Thanks, Earl. Fortunately, the glitch was shallow so didn't require a lot of chips and dust. Will remember your method if it happens again.
How do I keep photos from rotating?

sbwertz

Go to your neighborhood hardware store and ask them for the filings from their key machine. Mix them with a little epoxy or thick CA and use for filling voids. USE NITRILE GLOVES. The filings are like cactus spines and will get into your skin. When finished the brass really shines and sparkles. Goes with most woods. Great for filling large cracks in bigger pieces, too. Unlike stone, you can turn it with your normal HSS tools.

Woodchipper

Sharon, great idea. Those filings should make some great illusions. BTW, I have had some people get under my skin!:mad:
FWIW, I am considering making a trip to Petco and getting pet hair for tying trout flies. I've used black Lab and mixed mutt hair already and it works. I'm cheap!

Sharon, great idea. Those filings should make some great illusions. BTW, I have had some people get under my skin!:mad:
FWIW, I am considering making a trip to Petco and getting pet hair for tying trout flies. I've used black Lab and mixed mutt hair already and it works. I'm cheap!

Not Cheap! Thrifty! Very creative thinking on your part. I'd like to see a finished fly when you get one done.

Top Bottom