sanding the ends square

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Well hav8ng finally made and cut up some aluminite and pine cone blanks I needed to square the ends. Normally I use a razor sharp,counterbore but the contrast in density between the hard resin and soft cone material was a bit too much so , after applying CA/to the chipped out aare I decided t9 follow advice on here and sand the tube ends.

Using a V block and clamp to hold the rod works
08A6786B-E7E3-4803-8983-1ED3ED51FF1F.jpeg

5AB1DFCE-B142-40F1-9F4A-8DACC2519D24.jpeg688854F8-3B3A-452A-9916-D4A4F7410619.jpeg9E19EEB1-0F6E-44C7-9C04-4F3E7C0A88C5.jpeg
Note I posed this photo afterwards using a drill instead of the precision rods I used for the actual job. I could then , after checking out them on my 12" disc sander and sand them square to the tube.

thanks for the ideas, now just got to resharpen everything and turn em.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Pete

yes I used the mitre gauge on the sander having checked with a few scrap bits of wood to ensure it ended up square to the disc.

I might make a dedicated holder that fits in the mitre gauge slot for future use. Just wanted to say thanks to the people on here for the concept. If using a V block to hold the barrel,rods has been featured before then apologies . Was just pleased it worked so well.

The photo was taken on top of my small router table, The disc sander has a large t slotted cast table which has to be set up to 90 each time. It also has dedicated dust extraction ( and needs it !)

Morse

Pete

yes I used the mitre gauge on the sander having checked with a few scrap bits of wood to ensure it ended up square to the disc.

I might make a dedicated holder that fits in the mitre gauge slot for future use. Just wanted to say thanks to the people on here for the concept. If using a V block to hold the barrel,rods has been featured before then apologies . Was just pleased it worked so well.

The photo was taken on top of my small router table, The disc sander has a large t slotted cast table which has to be set up to 90 each time. It also has dedicated dust extraction ( and needs it !)
Hi.
instead of using the clamp on the "V" block, I bought a couple of those super powerful magnets, either end of the block. That way I was able to use the sander guide inhindered and also checkedit was at right angles to the sanding surface.

howsitwork

Dave

thats a brilliant idea and I have lots of those magnets! I used a spacer alongside the clamp to get it true but that's even easier !

Can I suggest you add a sacrificial fence to your mitre gauge though as support right upto the disc is very handy. Ply works well for this , although I have used some oak I had at the time

Morse

Dave

thats a brilliant idea and I have lots of those magnets! I used a spacer alongside the clamp to get it true but that's even easier !

Can I suggest you add a sacrificial fence to your mitre gauge though as support right upto the disc is very handy. Ply works well for this , although I have used some oak I had at the time
Ian
Nice idea. We evolve our ideas together.
Thanks

Top Bottom