sanding jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I have no plans or instructions, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...hoep this helps. I use on similar and it works just fine....love it. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200562019830_Jigrod2.jpg
<br />
Originally posted by dscott
<br />any plans on making a jig to use on a sanding disk to square blanks

Fred in NC

If you don't have an old mandrel ....

Remember, 1/4" bolts are usually .246, same diameter as a mandrel. A 5 or 6" bolt should do. But take a tube to the hardware store just in case. Different manufacturers have different tolerances.

its_virgil

Serge,
This is not my picture, I copied it from the yahoo group's files.

David,
To keep the blank from spinning, simple hold it with your hand. It is no problem.

Frank,
Look at the picture one more time. The block and mandrel is squared and perpendicular to the sanding disk but the blank is not touching anything except the the mandrel and the sanding disk. Getting the ends of the blank perpendicular to the brass tube is the task, and the sides of the blank have nothing to do with that. As long as the mandrel is perpendicular to the sanding disk, the ends will be perpendicular to the tubes. I hope my explanation makes sense. I use the sander to sand the blank to its final length also.

do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

Serge,
although this blank is not mine, they are not difficult to make. Cut a couple of contrasting wood blanks on the band saw or whatever saw you have, switch the halves and laminate some contrasting slices between the halves and glue back together. Give it a try. I have made similar blanks to use on the top of the pen and use a single color on the bottom. Show us what you come up with.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Fred in NC

In this type jig, what needs to be square to the table is the mandrel or bolt, so it sands square to the tube.

What I have been doing is using the disc sander to get close to the tube. I do this by eye. Then I use a sandpaper based squaring jig of my own design.

The beauty of using sandpaper for squaring blanks is that it is REPLACEABLE and INEXPENSIVE. The downside is that

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Fred probably went looking for this thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1728&SearchTerms=don't+throw+away
(Great search function on this forum, have I ever said that?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom