Samurai Kamereon (Chameleon)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Teodor

Teodor

How Everyone,

I hope you all spending a nice weekend.

After another eternity I'm close to finishing this pen, Kara-nuri process. He has 4 distinctive colours and golden powder. Some details left to do, lacquer the screw and the interior lip of the cap.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Teo
e170c1816bd77df928a0701d710be8b8.jpg
a99c22ee1eedef1df82a92256b27fd79.jpg
a59f6f9f0799a4e1caee83a472e60c3f.jpg
6bd64d84342e90b602ff53b3413c1a3b.jpg
77463050c214e2546769439d48630305.jpg
26e6dcc01bd51f01907b5c462f5ba2a0.jpg

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenHog

Teo, I always enjoy seeing your posts. I showed my wife the seaweed green urushi pen that you posted a little while back, and she thought it was beautiful.

A question: I've noticed that some urushi pen makers will place urushi on the barrel threads, while others (like yourself) appear to avoid this. Is there a reason? I suspect it has to do with durability, given that the threads are always experiencing some friction with use, but I wasn't sure.

Teodor

Teo, I always enjoy seeing your posts. I showed my wife the seaweed green urushi pen that you posted a little while back, and she thought it was beautiful.

A question: I've noticed that some urushi pen makers will place urushi on the barrel threads, while others (like yourself) appear to avoid this. Is there a reason? I suspect it has to do with durability, given that the threads are always experiencing some friction with use, but I wasn't sure.
As mentioned in my thread, a couple of details remains to be done, one of them is the screw. It's the last step before considering the pen finished.
1613ca63cd7ec2da4fbcbdf2029d4424.jpg
d79afc3bbf0ae273c0bc752d2aaf03f2.jpg

PenHog

As mentioned in my thread, a couple of details remains to be done, one of them is the screw. It's the last step before considering the pen finished.

Hi Teodor,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't catch the reference to the screw (=threads). I had looked at the photos of your pens on your website and noticed that the threads still looked black (rather than lacquered), but that may just be my bad eyesight, or you're posting photos before they're lacquered there too.

Best,
Max

Teodor

Hi Teodor,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't catch the reference to the screw (=threads). I had looked at the photos of your pens on your website and noticed that the threads still looked black (rather than lacquered), but that may just be my bad eyesight, or you're posting photos before they're lacquered there too.

Best,
Max
Hi Max,
Oups, you are right, the pens you see there do not have the threads lacquered... completely forgot about them... most probably because I'm doing by default for commissioned pens...

It's simple but very time consuming activity and requires a lot of focus, if I'm overdoing the layers well.... I'm starting over.
Teo

Pierre---

Teo, Do you mean you sand the threads after applying Urushi? Time consuming job indeed, if you do so, I take my hat off! When I cover the threads with Urushi (which I don't do often to avoid problems of hard screwing afterwards), I usually apply only one coat to give a little shine and/or a little color, with no sanding. Quite straightforward, but the result should not be as good...

PenHog

Thanks for the replies, Teodor and Pierre! Very interesting. I think it'd be difficult to keep my sanity it I had to polish threads (and I already talk to myself while I'm making a pen). Again, absolutely beautiful work on that pen, Teodor, thanks for sharing.

Lucky2

Thanks for the replies, Teodor and Pierre! Very interesting. I think it'd be difficult to keep my sanity it I had to polish threads (and I already talk to myself while I'm making a pen). Again, absolutely beautiful work on that pen, Teodor, thanks for sharing.
Pen Hog, and what is wrong with talking to yourself, I do it all the time no matter what I'm doing. If I didn't talk to myself, I don't think that I would enjoy what I do as much. Plus, I find that talking to myself, helps me get better results in what I'm working on.

Len

PenHog

Pen Hog, and what is wrong with talking to yourself, I do it all the time no matter what I'm doing. If I didn't talk to myself, I don't think that I would enjoy what I do as much. Plus, I find that talking to myself, helps me get better results in what I'm working on.

Len
Hi Len, I agree, it can be quite helpful, especially if it's a complicated series of steps. Glad to know I'm not the only one doing it :)

PenPal

Teodor you incorporate a to me gian step in your pens from the centre down,no probs with the pen open aesthetics better or worse in your opinion mate. I am delighted by your pens as you no doubt know with great respect for Pierre who I regard as a wonderful turner and friend.

Kind regards Peter.

Teodor

Teo, Do you mean you sand the threads after applying Urushi? Time consuming job indeed, if you do so, I take my hat off! When I cover the threads with Urushi (which I don't do often to avoid problems of hard screwing afterwards), I usually apply only one coat to give a little shine and/or a little color, with no sanding. Quite straightforward, but the result should not be as good...
Yes, I sand the threads, it is necessary. You need to take in account the threading when making the threads, the fitting has to reflect your Urushi layers.

Top Bottom