Salvageable??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

First of all, thanks to Fred Bruche who gave me this blank in a BOB award for contest "losers".
The kit is a round top European. After cutting the 5" blank to appropriate lengths I used a scratch awl to put a dimple in each end for drilling - won't be doing that again! And of course I hit it too hard causing a nasty split - thought I could recover it by gluing up with epoxy. You can see in the photo that this is NOT going well. :confused: Any suggestions on salvaging this, or should I just put it in my scrap box & chalk it up to learning? It is fitted with 7 mm brass tubes.
Would appreciate any & all suggestions/comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You could salvage by cutting off the "bad" end and replacing with a black (or red ?) "oops" band.
Black would be my personal preference, and I think it would look OK at either the nib end or the finial end, but probably not at the center.

I also use a scratch awl but I never hit it with the hammer. . I just use manual pressure to create the dimple, and then use a battery operated drill to enlarge the dimple.

Humongous

The thin CA is worth a try. Then use Mal's option as plan B. You still have a lot of meat on the blank to make a band look great.

bsshog40

With most blanks, if you're using a drill press, You shouldn't even have to dimple the end. Just get it squared up and drill. Even with a crooked hole, there's usually still a lot of meat on the blank to turn for a pen.

howsitwork

Why does no one use a slocombe drill to start it off? You might call it a machinists centre drill over there? Easier than dimpling and runs true as no flex in the drill.

ramaroodle

I'll second what Mal said.
I'll third what Mal said if you can't hide that crack under a clip. Stubby machinist centering drill is the tool but you shouldn't need it. I'd keep hammers at least as far away from pen blanks as I'd keep knives away from my private parts. That's why I stopped using barrel trimmers years ago.

Last edited:

KenB259

Why does no one use a slocombe drill to start it off? You might call it a machinists centre drill over there? Easier than dimpling and runs true as no flex in the drill.

I always use a stubby centering bit. I consider this one of my most important tools in getting the hole drilled straight. Straight centered holes is a must in most segmented designs. Since getting the centering bit, I never have crooked holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

ramaroodle

I always use a stubby centering bit. I consider this one of my most important tools in getting the hole drilled straight. Straight centered holes is a must in most segmented designs. Since getting the centering bit, I never have crooked holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
It also requires a gentle touch. For me, especially with segmenting, the issue is making sure it is square at every step. Then the center that you mark on the blank is the center of the segment and the blank when whatever it's clamped in it also square to the bit. Little variances add up. Bits for blanks are usually stout enough not to wander as long as there's some point on it.

WriteON

You could salvage by cutting off the "bad" end and replacing with a black (or red ?) "oops" band.
Black would be my personal preference, and I think it would look OK at either the nib end or the finial end, but probably not at the center.
Black band.

Top Bottom