Rotten Eggs!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Well, we call it spalt but is is rot!
Here are some spalted maple eggs I turned yesterday. One is in traditional spindle orientation and the others are all turned in cross grain mode.
All turned between centers, nubs sawed off a tad long, carved off with knife and then hand sanded to 400.
I only have one coat of MO (mineral oil) on them at the time of the pic last night.
I like the figuring on the cross grain eggs best. Will recoat and buff when dry.

Attachments

• 048F7D34-27B7-4192-B390-5BC2AF2DE4A6.jpg
    048F7D34-27B7-4192-B390-5BC2AF2DE4A6.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 557D375D-A8D1-4437-8B97-666EEF81BCAE.jpg
    557D375D-A8D1-4437-8B97-666EEF81BCAE.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 295
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

The practical joker in me wants to put a few in a friends egg carton when staying over for a night just to see the reactions when they go to make everyone breakfast.

A fine eggample of your turning abilities. ;)

Charlie_W

Thanks everyone! These were quick and easy.
While I was at school helping the bowl Turner, I turned these there. Since I already had chips on the floor, the shop teacher said I could stay and turn these.
It also gave some of the students a chance to see something besides pens.
Note that when turning these in cross grain orientation I use a bowl gouge and only do pull cuts...cutting down hill towards the center/apex of the egg.

Reflection: I was turning in shop class back in 1970-71 on a Delta Reeves Drive lathe. Still have several bowls....just need to find them.

sbwertz

We are gearing up to make Easter Eggs at the center again this year. Several turners want to make spectraply eggs. They ought to be really pretty. Thanks, Edgar!

Here are some spalted maple eggs I turned yesterday. One is in traditional spindle orientation and the others are all turned in cross grain mode.
All turned between centers, nubs sawed off a tad long, carved off with knife and then hand sanded to 400.
I only have one coat of MO (mineral oil) on them at the time of the pic last night.
I like the figuring on the cross grain eggs best. Will recoat and buff when dry.

They were even more lovely in person. Fantastic job, Charlie.

Charlie_W

They were even more lovely in person. Fantastic job, Charlie.

Thanks Lance!! Didn't know you were here on IAP.....Welcome!
You will find everything you need to know about pens here...and great folks!

MDWine

I loved seeing these too Charlie... I always am inspired by your work, and seeing them (and you) in person is such a treat!

BTW, I am developing quite a repertoire of gadgets to use to hold pieces in place for photographing them... the eggs are another challenge for which I I think I have answer!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
We are gearing up to make Easter Eggs at the center again this year. Several turners want to make spectraply eggs. They ought to be really pretty. Thanks, Edgar!

Can't wait to see them. Spectraply eggs & tops are on my to do list as well.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I loved seeing these too Charlie... I always am inspired by your work, and seeing them (and you) in person is such a treat!

BTW, I am developing quite a repertoire of gadgets to use to hold pieces in place for photographing them... the eggs are another challenge for which I I think I have answer!

Penn State sells this kind of egg stand for $4.95, but it should be pretty simple to make something similar. They also have footed egg stands.

Attachments

• EggStand.jpeg
    EggStand.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 126

MDWine

. . . Penn State sells this kind of egg stand . . .

Thanks Edgar! I definitely had a look...

I shoot the pictures for the Capital Area Woodturners club (most of the time!)... the challenge is knowing what someone is going to bring and then having something that will stage it properly. That PS stand is a thought for sure. Problem is I don't know how many to have on hand, so making something is more "cost effective"! ;)

Half of my problem is remembering to put these devices in my box when I go to the meeting!!! (gettin' old ain't for sissys!) Of all the things I've lost, I miss my memory the most!

Thanks for the tip... I'm thinkin I may make something similar!

My thought was various sizes of PVC, cut to about 1/2 inch thick, with some of that padded shelf liner cut to size (glued?) to cushion the piece... I'll let ya know how it turns out!

Charlie_W

Final got around to getting a pic of the finished eggs I used several coats of Mineral Oil, let dry and lightly buffed. I wasn't going for a high shine...just a soft luster.

Attachments

• 30121EE6-5E54-4621-B8CD-B5B4D7E6B434.jpg
    30121EE6-5E54-4621-B8CD-B5B4D7E6B434.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 125
Top Bottom