Rosewood Comfort Pen with wire inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bg15

bg15

Hey guys,

here is a ballpoint pen I made for my brother a few days ago. It was made using rosewood, walnut, and I made a wire inlay around the center ring to make it the highlight of a pen. Kit parts are in gun metal, and the pen was finished with CA glue. What do you think?

Attachments

• Comfort pen GM Rosewood - 1.jpg
    Comfort pen GM Rosewood - 1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 255
  • Comfort pen GM Rosewood - 2.jpg
    Comfort pen GM Rosewood - 2.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Comfort pen GM Rosewood - 3.jpg
    Comfort pen GM Rosewood - 3.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 258
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I love small dots like that. For some reason to me, the small dots look elegant. If you have 1mm core solder, those with core in them make for tiny dimples and look great also. I have some tiny copper tubes (1mm) and brass tubes that I bought a long time ago to make a pen like that.

That is beautiful work and somewhat time consuming for a pen! It looks like you used 2 different sizes of wire. I'm guessing 1mm and .7mm?

Wmcullen

Elegant! The way the copper dots work with your walnut is fantastic. I expect people will take a really close look at the dots just to find out what's going on: to see if it's wood. I love intriguing designs like this and appreciate the inspiration!
Thanks for sharing it with us!
- Cullen

bg15

I love small dots like that. For some reason to me, the small dots look elegant. If you have 1mm core solder, those with core in them make for tiny dimples and look great also. I have some tiny copper tubes (1mm) and brass tubes that I bought a long time ago to make a pen like that.

That is beautiful work and somewhat time consuming for a pen! It looks like you used 2 different sizes of wire. I'm guessing 1mm and .7mm?
Thank you very much. I used 0.4 and 0.3mm wire. When I make my inlays, I never go thicker than 0.4mm.

bg15

Elegant! The way the copper dots work with your walnut is fantastic. I expect people will take a really close look at the dots just to find out what's going on: to see if it's wood. I love intriguing designs like this and appreciate the inspiration!
Thanks for sharing it with us!
- Cullen
Thanks so much Cullen

Kcimdrib

Goran
Great Pen and the inlays are very clever. I attempted this once with silver wire and although I finished the pen I had to keep re glueing the silver wire when turning.
But you have mastered it.

bg15

Goran
Great Pen and the inlays are very clever. I attempted this once with silver wire and although I finished the pen I had to keep re glueing the silver wire when turning.
But you have mastered it.
Thanks for your kind words. I am far from mastering it but I know where I need to improve. ;)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for your kind words. I am far from mastering it but I know where I need to improve. ;)
You are well ahead of the game using wire as small as you do. Do you use a jig to help in the drilling / spacing?

Please don't stop. That is very creative and great looking!

KMCloonan

Wonderful pen. I think most of the folks on this site (including me) can appreciate the amount of work that must have taken. I liked the pattern of the dots, in addition to the 2 different diameters. I also like how the copper from the wires stands out against the rosewood and the gunmetal. Great combination!

bg15

You are well ahead of the game using wire as small as you do. Do you use a jig to help in the drilling / spacing?

Please don't stop. That is very creative and great looking!
I don`t use jigs. I use a 3x magnifying glasses and my artistic skills.
You see, long before I started making pens and calligraphy pen holders, I was an artist (primarily pen and ink), so I made drawings in stippling method. I am actually a calligraphy pen holder maker. If you are on Instagram, search for brago.wood
I fell in love with wire inlay 3 years ago and have been doing it a lot since then. Here are some examples...

Attachments

• Pen holder TOW11 - 3.jpg
    Pen holder TOW11 - 3.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Pen holder Yvonne 004.jpg
    Pen holder Yvonne 004.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Pen holder TOMIX35 - 4.jpg
    Pen holder TOMIX35 - 4.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Pen holder TOMIX35 - 5.jpg
    Pen holder TOMIX35 - 5.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Pen holder TSZ50 - 3.jpg
    Pen holder TSZ50 - 3.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Pen holder OCE21 - 2.jpg
    Pen holder OCE21 - 2.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 103

bg15

Wonderful pen. I think most of the folks on this site (including me) can appreciate the amount of work that must have taken. I liked the pattern of the dots, in addition to the 2 different diameters. I also like how the copper from the wires stands out against the rosewood and the gunmetal. Great combination!
Thank you very much! Check out the reply I made to Lee, those inlays are hour eaters :)
You must use a very dark wood for the wire to stand out.

Top Bottom