Rose Engine Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

YoYoSpin

Well, I went and did it...plunked down some big $'s for a rose engine lathe. Just got back in town from picking it up in St Louis, along with spending a couple of fine days with the manufacturer to kick the tires. Here's a photo of the first RE embellished item I've turned on this new contraption:

rebs_1e.jpg

And here's a photo album link to the little get together we had: http://www.yoyospin.com/RoseEngine/March2008/ ...too cool!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

WOW...does that look awesome!!! You can make some outstanding pieces with that! It looks like it follows large template pieces that you stack. Excellent!

its_virgil

Congrats Ed. The maker of that RE was at the SWAT Symposium here in Wichita FAlls, TX back in Oct 2007. He was a vendor and I watched him off and on for 3 days. I even think he may have sold some while here. I look forward to seeing more of what you can make it do.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Darley

Ed this is very nice but I think the Shark tooth is lost by the design maybe if you turn a Mother Earth blank first with the rose engine then cast it in clear PR then turn the blank again with the rose engine just an idea, very neat BTW I biulding one in MDF the same you got on your album

Ligget

I agree with Serge that the shark tooth is very hard to see due to the design.
Absolutely outstanding shape though, cannot wait to see what is going to come off that new lathe Ed, money well spent![:0][:p]

JohnU

Thats incredible! If my wife sees this she will be asking for faucet, cabinet and door handles.... another tool to put on the "someday want list". Thanks for sharing.

jttheclockman

Not that you need any ideas Ed for your work is always outstanding. But like the others I do not thing things floating in Pr is the thing with this but would look great is if you could layer colored PR and do a design around that. Maybe red white and blue. Or maybe put an embellishment close to the top. Look forward to some wild ideas as I am sure you will come up with. Congrads on the new toy.

HawksFeather

Truly beautiful work. Just what I expect from you. Thanks for posting the link to the pictures as well. It was informative for me.

Jerry

karlkuehn

Banned
Holy crap! That's friggin' awesome, although I agree with Serge, you lost the detail of the casting in there.

I've been looking at ornamental mills for a while, and I think that'll be my next major purchase, but I think what I've been looking at and what you just bought are in two different leagues. I need to sell some yoyos if I'm going to keep up with you! I've been nipping at your heels and kind of following in your footsteps, and you've just made the decision final for me on the new purchase, that's just outstanding work, Ed! I love your style, and if I was going to emulate anyone's career in artistic turning, I think it'd be you! Okay, I need to go clean this stain off my nose now. Maybe if I just run it on the belt sander for a second... [:p]

I wish we lived closer, I'd love to bring you donuts and coffee in exchange for Saturday apprentice lessons. I could pay in really interesting rotten and wormy wood for up close and personal direction and guidance! Oh yeah, I'm sure you'd love me showing up every weekend at the crack of dawn. Where you live, isn't the crack of dawn like 3:00 a.m. or something? Ok, maybe the crack of noonish. :)

Top Bottom