Rockler vav

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Anyone have this. I'm looking to upgraded from the PSI collector. Giving this thought. Comments please.

Attachments

• IMG_2119.jpeg
    IMG_2119.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 69

TonyL

I have the Grizzly version of the filter on the top (close to $500). It makes a big difference.

d_bondi

+1 on @RGABEL 's post. I have one of the MERV 15 filters from Wynn Environmental.

Mated it up with a Super Dust Deputy cyclone by Oneida and the 2 HP Harbor Freight Dust Collector (only using the fan portion of it). I just upgraded the impeller in the HF unit to the 11 3/4" impeller from Rikon, and now it is in Beast Mode!

d_bondi

Not sure if I expressed myself properly… I'm considering buying the Rocker unit not just the filter

I understand what you are saying and believe that @RGABEL did as well.

I have no personal experience with the Rockler Dust Right system you are considering. I am using the Rockler Dust Right 4" hose and quick connects and like them fine.

What I am saying is that if you are interested in the possibility, a considerably less expensive option might be to add a MERV 15 filter (from Wynn Environmental) to your existing unit.

The Rockler unit you are looking at does seem to be a nice relatively compact and mobile option. I'm sure there are multiple YouTube video reviews of that product.

WriteON

I understand what you are saying and believe that @RGABEL did as well.

I have no personal experience with the Rockler Dust Right system you are considering. I am using the Rockler Dust Right 4" hose and quick connects and like them fine.

What I am saying is that if you are interested in the possibility, a considerably less expensive option might be to add a MERV 15 filter (from Wynn Environmental) to your existing unit.

The Rockler unit you are looking at does seem to be a nice relatively compact and mobile option. I'm sure there are multiple YouTube video reviews of that product.
Rockler is my focus but all options open.
I watched a few videos. I like the size of the unit and more. Is 75 decibels typical for collectors?

Last edited:

d_bondi

Rockler is my focus but all options open.
I watched a few videos. I like the size of the unit and more. Is 75 decibels typical for collectors?

I measured mine recently at 78 dBA. I also measured my 16 Gal Rigid shop vac and it was 72 dBA. It is important to understand that the dBA scale is not linear, in fact, each 3 dBA increment is double the volume.

BUT... the pitch is very different. The pitch of the dust collector (mine anyway) is lower and to me, much less objectionable than the higher pitch of the shop vac, even though the measurement indicates that the dust collector is significantly louder.

Either way, wear hearing protection when you run it.

WriteON

I measured mine recently at 78 dBA. I also measured my 16 Gal Rigid shop vac and it was 72 dBA. It is important to understand that the dBA scale is not linear, in fact, each 3 dBA increment is double the volume.

BUT... the pitch is very different. The pitch of the dust collector (mine anyway) is lower and to me, much less objectionable than the higher pitch of the shop vac, even though the measurement indicates that the dust collector is significantly louder.

Either way, wear hearing protection when you run it.
Thanks.... Will use the Dustright with the Jet lathe only... no saws, planers, sanders, etc. Overkill or no such thing? I do have a Festool midi but I think it will fill too quickly. Thoughts?

d_bondi

Thanks.... Will use the Dustright with the Jet lathe only... no saws, planers, sanders, etc. Overkill or no such thing? I do have a Festool midi but I think it will fill too quickly. Thoughts?

I don't know much about the Festool Midi, but assume that it is a low volume high pressure (suction) system like shop vacs and extractors.

The difference you will notice with a dust collector is that they are high volume low pressure (suction). The move a lot of air and when set up properly on the lathe, that air moving across the turning, will pull in much more material than the shop vac/extractor types that are low volume high pressure.

Low Volume High Pressure works great on smaller tools like sanders and even a track saw, but for tools that generate a lot of dust/chips/shavings like a lathe, table saw, planner, jointer, they simply can't keep up, not to mention they will fill up quickly. That is where dust collectors shine!

Hope this helps.

WriteON

How good is a 1micron bag vs a cartridge. Both good?
I'm having a rough time ordering the Rockler 750. Way over a $100 for shipping. The best feature is the height or I'd go for a Jet

d_bondi

How good is a 1micron bag vs a cartridge. Both good?
I'm having a rough time ordering the Rockler 750. Way over a $100 for shipping. The best feature is the height or I'd go for a Jet
I took a quick look and didn't see any specs on the canister filter on that Rocker, so I can't comment on it specifically, however, in general, the bags don't filter as small a size particles at least in part because if they did, they would restrict the flow way too much. It is a matter of square feet of filter media. The bag has only its surface area, while the canister is a pleated filter with a lot of surface area, so it can be made of material that will filter out smaller particles, but still flow enough air to not restrict the flow to the point where the dust collector isn't effective.

TonyL

i used the 1 micro bag on my dc for 7 years. the top filter (grizzly) that i bought performs significantly better - less airborne dust in the shop, but at a significant initial cost. at the end, who knows?

WriteON

i used the 1 micro bag on my dc for 7 years. the top filter (grizzly) that i bought performs significantly better - less airborne dust in the shop, but at a significant initial cost. at the end, who knows?
My cousin has stage 1 you know what. No idea if turning contributed.
I do know a Shop Vac with the standard filter is worthless... (directed to Shop Vac users)

d_bondi

SO...The $100 shipping is holding me up. It comes with a $150 gift card.... but the $100 is making me sweat.
I feel the same way about shipping costs. There are several Rockler stores in Florida are any of them in Road Trip range (obviously check stock first)? Though with the Road Trip expense and the temptation of walking around in a Rockler store, it might just cost you more than the $100. :cool:

WriteON

This a little too high... Prefer a compact... however giving it thought. Why does it come with a 2 micron not a 1. What is the logic. Does 1 filter substantially better.

Attachments

• Image 2-19-24 at 9.41 PM.jpeg
    Image 2-19-24 at 9.41 PM.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 22

mlrwoodcrafts

I have that exact unit. It works well. It is quite tall so keep that in mind for your workflow. I parked mine behind my jointer and made a chip separator out of a 30gal. brute trash can and it keeps up with 8inch wide passes on the jointer just fine. For lathe work a nice wide chute and you're good to go. I do find it much more tolerable than a shop vac noise wise.

d_bondi

This a little too high... Prefer a compact... however giving it thought. Why does it come with a 2 micron not a 1. What is the logic. Does 1 filter substantially better.

Go with the best filter you can afford. 2 Micron is nothing special. It is the smaller stuff that is the most problematic.

As for bench top units, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Not sure I've seen any bench top dust collectors.

WriteON

Go with the best filter you can afford. 2 Micron is nothing special. It is the smaller stuff that is the most problematic.

As for bench top units, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Not sure I've seen any bench top dust collectors.
This would be used with a taig pool cue lathe…. The more I look at it I'm going to pass.

Attachments

• IMG_2168.png
    IMG_2168.png
    648.6 KB · Views: 22

WriteON

Next question ...is there a big difference between 1 & 1.5 HP. The Rockler is 1hp.. The 4" hoses won't be longer than 10 feet.

d_bondi

Next question ...is there a big difference between 1 & 1.5 HP. The Rockler is 1hp.. The 4" hoses won't be longer than 10 feet.
Focus on how much air they move, not the horse power. It will be rated in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). Yes, it takes more HP to move more CFM, but since you want more CFM, look at that rating.

WriteON

Focus on how much air they move, not the horse power. It will be rated in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). Yes, it takes more HP to move more CFM, but since you want more CFM, look at that rating.
Rocker says Flow Rate 750CFM
Other says actual 583 AT 2"SP ??

WriteON

Still zeroing in..... Question... I'm looking at a unit that requires a 20amp breaker. Can the garage door opener outlet(20) be tied into? Would be professionally done not a DIY.

d_bondi

Still zeroing in..... Question... I'm looking at a unit that requires a 20amp breaker. Can the garage door opener outlet(20) be tied into? Would be professionally done not a DIY.
That is a better question for an electrician when you get a bid from them.

My garage (built in 1995) has a single 15 amp circuit that serves the lights, garage door openers, and the few outlets in the garage.
I believe that current code (required for current builds and any renovations/additions) requires GFCI breakers/outlets in garages.

Another issue that should be considered is that even if you do have a 20 amp circuit in the garage, it may not be enough to run both the dust collector and other power tools. As an example, for a while I was using my shop vac (before I built up my dust collector) and table saw on the same circuit, sometimes it would trip the breaker.

A licensed electrician will be able to help you with all of this.

d_bondi

Rocker says Flow Rate 750CFM
Other says actual 583 AT 2"SP ??
The 583 @2" SP is saying that it moves 583 Cubic Feet/Minute of air at a Static Pressure of 2" of water. This is a more qualified specification than the simple 750 CFM for the Rockler. Are you able to locate a more detailed spec on the Rockler?

The other tricky thing here is how/where are they measured. Both at the inlet of where you would connect a hose? Unfortunately, I don't think that there is an industry standard for this on Dust Collectors.

What I can tell you is that I recently swapped the stock 10" impeller on my Harbor Freight dust collector out for a 11 3/4" impeller commonly used in Rikon 2HP units and the difference in the amount of air that it moves is significant.

WriteON

Are you able to locate a more detailed spec on the Rockler?
Not at this point... I can call Rockler. I like the size of the unit physically.
The Jet 1100 is (was) a choice but it's too massive and cartridge has to be upgraded (1Micron)
I also have my eyes on the Oneida mini Gorilla.. It's expensive but the size/specs look good. Would have to upgrade the outlet to 20amps.

WriteON

A licensed electrician will be able to help you with all of this.
Licensed 1st class electrician...Of course..
The garage is a series of 15amp outlets... The garage door lift is on a single 20amp(that would be tied into if applicable). The only hiccup would be closing the garage door when the dust collector is on. I don't want to run a line from the panel...the cost would pretty high. Thanks for the replies...much appreciated.

d_bondi

Not at this point... I can call Rockler. I like the size of the unit physically.
The Jet 1100 is (was) a choice but it's too massive and cartridge has to be upgraded (1Micron)
I also have my eyes on the Oneida mini Gorilla.. It's expensive but the size/specs look good. Would have to upgrade the outlet to 20amps.
I have heard good things about the Mini-Gorilla. Buy Once, Cry Once...right? I have seen it in the local Woodcraft store and it looks well made and the portability is seems nice, that should really allow you to keep the flex hose (the enemy of both CFM and Static Pressure) shorter.

WriteON

I have heard good things about the Mini-Gorilla. Buy Once, Cry Once...right? I have seen it in the local Woodcraft store and it looks well made and the portability is seems nice, that should really allow you to keep the flex hose (the enemy of both CFM and Static Pressure) shorter.
Buy once … thank you! And never look back.

d_bondi

Licensed 1st class electrician...Of course..
The garage is a series of 15amp outlets... The garage door lift is on a single 20amp(that would be tied into if applicable). The only hiccup would be closing the garage door when the dust collector is on. I don't want to run a line from the panel...the cost would pretty high. Thanks for the replies...much appreciated.
I can't say for sure, but, I would think that given the design of circuit breakers it would only be a problem if you started the dust collector at the same time as you started the garage door opener because of the combined in-rush current of the two.

Happy to help.

WriteON

I can't say for sure, but, I would think that given the design of circuit breakers it would only be a problem if you started the dust collector at the same time as you started the garage door opener because of the combined in-rush current of the two.

Happy to help.
Understood. I contacted an electrician for a consult....
hopefully they show up and not 2 hours late. Florida has it's own rules😂

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I believe that current code (required for current builds and any renovations/additions) requires GFCI breakers/outlets in garages.
Only the first outlet in the line has to be GFCI or put one in the breaker box to protect the line. My house was built in the late 60s and had four outlets in the unfinished basement. I ran an extra line to my shop which is the opposite end from the box.
WriteON, had a few no-shows when asking for a quote on a job around the house.

WriteON

Electrician response.....

Yes and no. Yes it would work but it is not the proper way to do it and would need info on the unit to see actual power use.
Done trying to "get by"... If I proceed it'll be a dedicated 20amp.

d_bondi

Electrician response.....

Yes and no. Yes it would work but it is not the proper way to do it and would need info on the unit to see actual power use.
Done trying to "get by"... If I proceed it'll be a dedicated 20amp.

That is the right answer from your electrician and a good call on your behalf.

I have put a dedicated GFCI protected 20 amp circuit in my garage/shop with a home run back to the panel. I didn't use a GFCI breaker, but rather a 20 Amp Rated GFCI Outlet in the first stop on the circuit, the second outlet on this circuit is wired to the load side terminals of the GFCI outlet, thus protected by that GFCI.

Top Bottom