Rockler pen carbide tools and EWT Negative Rake inserts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RProctor

Anyone know if there is compatibility here? Someone told me on the Rockler website the 2inch SR and Round were compatible on the pen set, but failed to give me a size. Anyone have any experience? Rather buy new inserts than save for another tool.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RProctor

I convinced my wife to let me experiment and pull the trigger (delaying my pen press purchase but perhaps opening up my blank selections) so I'm gonna purchase the inserts tomorrow and will report back my findings. My question and the answer received can be found under that item on the Rockler website. I'm assuming being the pen set that it would be the smallest size.

RProctor

So I just bought the EWT Ci3 NR cutter..... I used the existing screw in my Rockler pen set round tool and it fits perfect..... Shoukd have bought the square radius to also test. I'm gonna throw a tube in an Acrylester blank to see if it helps. For now I will report the fit on the round tools work fine

magpens

Thanks for letting us know, Randy. . Keep us posted on anything else you think would be interesting to tell us about.

RProctor

Thanks for letting us know, Randy. . Keep us posted on anything else you think would be interesting to tell us about.
If anyone cares to know, the rockler mini carbide tool kit is $90 off at $129. SOOOOO tempting but due to applying for a job that would require moving from CA to Texas I decided against it. The only differences are tool length, handle size, and I think the shaft was a little bigger. Why do I say the "only" diff? They use the exact same cutters as the pen making set. If I upgrade carbide tools I'm gonna get something of fuller size with bigger cutters I think. I've got a acrylester painted and drying gonna glue it in the morning with some titebond poly glue and turn it tomorrow afternoon. Roughing it with the circle granted isn't the best option, but its as good a test as any.

More4dan

If anyone cares to know, the rockler mini carbide tool kit is $90 off at $129. SOOOOO tempting but due to applying for a job that would require moving from CA to Texas I decided against it. The only differences are tool length, handle size, and I think the shaft was a little bigger. Why do I say the "only" diff? They use the exact same cutters as the pen making set. If I upgrade carbide tools I'm gonna get something of fuller size with bigger cutters I think. I've got a acrylester painted and drying gonna glue it in the morning with some titebond poly glue and turn it tomorrow afternoon. Roughing it with the circle granted isn't the best option, but its as good a test as any.

I made a tool where I mounted a regular carbide cutter at a 20 degree negative rake. I turned some inlace acrylester and the finish was close to final without sanding. The carbide insert was $2.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 157

RProctor

I made a tool where I mounted a regular carbide cutter at a 20 degree negative rake. I turned some inlace acrylester and the finish was close to final without sanding. The carbide insert was $2.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Thats actually something I would have never though of.....did you have a hard time grinding the 20 degree angle? Also, is the screw hole also at a 20 degree angle or is it still straight?

More4dan

Thats actually something I would have never though of.....did you have a hard time grinding the 20 degree angle? Also, is the screw hole also at a 20 degree angle or is it still straight?

I bought some 1/2" square rod and ground the angled flat on my belt sander. I marked both sides with a 20 deg angle and ground to the line. I then mounted the rod in a drill press vise so the ground surface was flat and 90 degrees to the drill bit in the drill press. Drilled and tapped to match the screw. I have an aluminum handle that can accept the square profile of the rod with some slight fitting.

Someone pointed out you could just lift the handle to 20 deg. with a raised tool rest and get the same effect.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Roger Schlenz

I bought some 1/2" square rod and ground the angled flat on my belt sander. I marked both sides with a 20 deg angle and ground to the line. I then mounted the rod in a drill press vise so the ground surface was flat and 90 degrees to the drill bit in the drill press. Drilled and tapped to match the screw. I have an aluminum handle that can accept the square profile of the rod with some slight fitting.

Someone pointed out you could just lift the handle to 20 deg. with a raised tool rest and get the same effect.

Great idea. Since the carbide insert is a normal, flat one, you can re-sharpen it with a diamond hone to get more life out of it. It would be tricky to re-sharpen an insert with a negative rake.

More4dan

Great idea. Since the carbide insert is a normal, flat one, you can re-sharpen it with a diamond hone to get more life out of it. It would be tricky to re-sharpen an insert with a negative rake.
Two reasons I made my tool was to be able to sharpen the tool and to be able to get inserts for less than $15 while benefiting from the finish of a negative rake cutter.

Top Bottom