Rockler Magnetic Pickup tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbwertz

sbwertz

I took a couple of the Rockler telescoping magnetic pickup tools I turned yesterday to church with me this morning and sold them both and got orders for 4 more! It seems that it is just the thing if you are in a wheelchair or walker, or have problems bending over and picking something up off the floor. (We are a rather geriatric congregation :biggrin:). Rockler has them on sale this week for $7.50 so I just bought six more. I paid almost $10 for the first few I bought, so this is a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I don't consider myself geriatric yet (I'm only 70)..., but there are days when I look down at the floor whenever something jumps out of my hands and lands there, (and especially when it rolls under the workbench) and think how far away the floor is... I keep one of those pistol grip grippers near my lathe to pick up things that go behind it or land where I might have to get down on the knees to find it.... today at the drugstore a lady looking at stuff on one of the gondolas dropped a package of something... naturally being the gentleman I am, I stooped to pick it up for her and made my usually comment about somebody putting the floor so far away... she told me it gets harder and worse, but I have a few years to go yet... I would guess her to be in mid to late 60's... made me feel good that she thought me younger... LOL .... a magnetic pick up wouldn't have worked there though.

Congrats on the sales...

sbwertz

I use the pistol grip picker-uppers too. My turning chisels are racked in holes under the lathe and if something drops down there, they BITE!. I have a long handled magnetic pickup I use in the shop. The attraction with these magnetic pickup tools is that they fold up and fit in a pocket.

Drstrangefart

Those magnetic pickup tools are great for forging steel. When the steel is red hot, touch it with the magnet. If it doesn't stick, the steel is tempered and ready to quench. They're also fun if you're like me and have ADHD.

bnoles

[/quote]I dropped the little pointy thing out of my 4 blade dead center... I'm pretty sure it landed somewhere in China.... I've swept and got down and crawled all around the floor and have never found it... :mad:[/quote]

Chuck, if that pointy thing was magnetized it has very possible stuck itself to something metal on the way down or underneath a metal object such as your lathe stand. Forget the floor and think of the not so obvious places. I found one of my missing pieces stuck to the side of a caster on one of my cabinets once.

I dropped the little pointy thing out of my 4 blade dead center... I'm pretty sure it landed somewhere in China.... I've swept and got down and crawled all around the floor and have never found it... :mad:[/quote]

Chuck, if that pointy thing was magnetized it has very possible stuck itself to something metal on the way down or underneath a metal object such as your lathe stand. Forget the floor and think of the not so obvious places. I found one of my missing pieces stuck to the side of a caster on one of my cabinets once.[/quote]

Nope, I looked in all those places too as well as the usual places...my lathe stand is cast iron, but the lathe cabinet underneath is homemade one of wood.... I keep a large tub on the back side of my lathe that catches a good portion of the chips when I turn bowls...I think it landed in there, but is so small I couldn't see it when I went through the debris. I fortunately have a second dead center drive to use and maybe one day will see if I can grind down a nail to fit and replace the one lost... those things are expensive if you can even find one... Woodcraft had some, but they were all too large for my drive. These are two that came with my original lathe - a Ridgid from Home Depot.

Top Bottom