Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WriteON

WriteON

I'm going to try a few rings and see how it goes. Is anyone turning rings? Thanks, Frank

Last edited:

wood-of-1kind

I turn rings on my lathe for friends and family. The last ring I did was using moose antler and so far that is my favourite. The wood rings that I make are reinforced with veneer strips to give rigidity to the ring.

Enjoy your ring making adventure as you will have fun along your journey.

WriteON

I'll take suggestions on what to and not to buy as I get started. I don't mind buying the works.

WriteON

Loucurr

Ringsupplies.com you can also buy ring cores on eBay for cheaper.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153061428998

Thanks.... was going to ask if the cores can be found in an assortment bundle.

The big question...I'm I cheating or reducing the fun/craft of ring turning by using a Taig lathe. A boring bar and cross slide carriage are perfect for this application.

Try it both ways to see...there is no right way.

WriteON

Ringsupplies.com you can also buy ring cores on eBay for cheaper.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153061428998

Thanks.... was going to ask if the cores can be found in an assortment bundle.

The big question...I'm I cheating or reducing the fun/craft of ring turning by using a Taig lathe. A boring bar and cross slide carriage are perfect for this application.

Try it both ways to see...there is no right way.
Thanks... Was just checking....don't want to get bawled out by the purists:)
Who else sells cores and blanks. CSUSA has escalating shipping charges. I tend to avoid ordering if the costs go up with every dollar spent.

Last edited:

Loucurr

Thanks... Was just checking....don't want to get bawled out by the purists:)
Who else sells cores and blanks. CSUSA has escalating shipping charges. I tend to avoid ordering if the costs go up with every dollar spent.

JD Gauthier makes cores that are sold at ringsupplies.com. I don't know if he does private sales. You can also get them at the bangleguy WildWood Design - Supplies for the Woodturing Jeweler

BeeAMaker

I've been doing rings for a while, I made my own mold for casting blanks so I am not wasting so much resin. Those silicon round Ice cube trays work well also, or sometimes I will cast a round rod and just slice off what I need.

I would recommend the ring turning chuck from Craft supply, and the expanding ones.
I like the ring cores from CS but I feel they are too thick. I use my mill to turn them down a bit so I can have more material on the ring without it getting too fat.

Here are a couple videos I did, I was one of the first to get the new ring chuck from CS so I reviewed it here. they had an issue with some of the chucks to start out and they promptly replaced it as you will see in the second video.

https://youtu.be/72jPcitQpR0

https://youtu.be/oTn6ggnWWT8

You can make rings without inserts also, just be aware they are more "breakable".

Here are just a few I have done.

This one has a band with glow stones
imageMain_2_78.jpg

full1_2_78.jpg

This one I made with spectraply
imageMain_2_80.jpg

Thin red line
trl2.jpg

Last edited:

WriteON

Can't find a mandrel. All seem to be back ordered. Anyway .... bushings or expandable collets. Or both. Do you use a special chisel after rounding out the blank.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Loucurr

Any comments on this type mandrel. They are available. Thanks.

I just started using that style and really like it. The bushing style limit your ability to get in on the sides and with this style it is not a problem. Got mine from ringsupplies.com because they had a better size range selection.

BeeAMaker

I don't like the one i have, but mine wasn't purchased from Craft Supply. the steps are too short and it doesn't fit the ring well. I have to really drive the screw in or wrap the mandrel with tape.

I would like to think CS would make their mandrel fit their rings. ;)

BeeAMaker

I just started using that style and really like it. The bushing style limit your ability to get in on the sides and with this style it is not a problem. Got mine from ringsupplies.com because they had a better size range selection.

Those look much better than the one I purchased, can't remember where I got it, but it's not a good one.

WriteON

I'd buy these from CS...They are JDG Pro Ring Mandrel Full Size. Would buy both sizes.
4-9.... 9-14.

Next question please... Ring Cores.... Is there a typical common range. Do you buy 1 or 2 each of each size for now.

I'm presently putting an order together. Will take all and any advice, Thanks.

Last edited:

coffeeslug

Those look much better than the one I purchased, can't remember where I got it, but it's not a good one.

I purchased all three from ringsupplies a few years ago as I couldn't find them anywhere else. What I received looked nothing like what was pictured and the steps are pretty small, so buyer beware.

WriteON

Is anyone using the Artisan Ring Turning Scraper. If so comments please. Worth having....waste of money? Thanks..

Loucurr

Is anyone using the Artisan Ring Turning Scraper. If so comments please. Worth having....waste of money? Thanks..

I mage my own with a cutting profile on the tip and side and love how it works and give me good control on the cut when sneaking up on the ring size.

Rings are fun and fairly straight forward

I use the stainless steel cores from Craft USA and have made and sold a good number of rings. I have yet to channel and insert wire or inlay, but will be in the near future. All so far have been either wood or acrylic. Here are just some.

For wood, I currently use CA, although I am thinking of trying UV curing clear resin in the future to see how they look side by side.

Hope this helps.

https://www.facebook.com/FourKingsThingsLLC/photos/a.2028670260501154/2263213490380162/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/FourKingsThingsLLC/photos/a.2028670260501154/2175195272515318/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/FourKingsThingsLLC/photos/a.2028670260501154/2263220877046090/?type=3

WriteON

On my third ring turning. I'm patient. Decent at figuring things out....But..............

I hate these things. Ready to toss everything into the lake behind my house.

On my third ring turning. I'm patient. Decent at figuring things out....But..............

I did, too, at first. Took a little figuring things out using the ring cores, but now I have it down to a process. happy to discuss. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like. Also, on my FB page, you can find a number of posts for rings I have done, including some in progress shots and a video or two. I basically follow Craft USA's process, with some modifications. Such as using a narrow chisel to open up the hole to size vice a narrow scraper.

I hope that helps.

WriteON

I did, too, at first. Took a little figuring things out using the ring cores, but now I have it down to a process. happy to discuss. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like. Also, on my FB page, you can find a number of posts for rings I have done, including some in progress shots and a video or two. I basically follow Craft USA's process, with some modifications. Such as using a narrow chisel to open up the hole to size vice a narrow scraper.

I hope that helps.
Hi and thanks. I will contact you. I'm not a fan of the double sided tape system. That has to go. Aside from
that I used the Taig lathe on the second turning
using a boring bar. Got a really nice clean hole. I know it'll get better. My first ring. Has flaws and metal needs some polishing.

Attachments

• 81C78F4F-DED6-4D7F-8FB5-745A2E68E1A2.jpg
    81C78F4F-DED6-4D7F-8FB5-745A2E68E1A2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 236
  • D4C6E214-B787-4BD7-9AFA-75B32A07F0B4.jpg
    D4C6E214-B787-4BD7-9AFA-75B32A07F0B4.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 2902D835-E3DF-411A-8D0D-F58F46C1F59A.jpg
    2902D835-E3DF-411A-8D0D-F58F46C1F59A.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 236

WriteON

JDG at CraftSupply, is JD Gautier. He supplies other accessories for ring making, that aren't carried by CS. Some really cool blanks as well as a boring bar setp for a morse taper.

https://ringsupplies.com/collections/ring-making-supplies
Thank you. How does that boring bar work on a spindle lathe.
Nice ring, Frank! - keep it out of the lake.
Thanks...Bob...It'll be ok....I used acrylic.

Some thoughts.
Using acrylic for now. I enjoy working with it. Wood finishes beautifully but a mess to turn. With acrylic I can wet sand the core if scuffed.
What bonding tape are you guys using. I used the gray..VHB and plain. I do not like using tape but maybe I'm using the wrong one. I realize some are extremely aggressive...some are not.
Thanks for your positive pushes.... I know I'll get the hang of the process...just feel like crying the blues and complaining for now. Growing pains right?

Last edited:

darrin1200

I have not actually used the head, I used to make rings, so I still get his notifications. I believe the end of the boring head moves horizontally. He appears to be sold out right now, but if you contact him, he'll be able to tell you when they will be available again.

WriteON

Hi everyone. Sorry to get mushy. Sorry to get emotional... but I love you guys. A few weeks ago I was ready to quit (rather quit than give up) ring turning. As fast as I started that's how fast I was going to quit. But y'all encouraged and supported me so I hung on. Just finished ring # 4 and it's getting better. Another one or two and I'll be a pro. The Taig lathe with a boring makes a difference. Rings are fun. All being gifted. Making for friends. The close one's. Thanks again for your help. It's people like you(IAP Members) make the difference.

Top Bottom