Ring cores

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

JD has a lot of offerings.

Woodchipper

Good to know. Thanks. Will click on the link and save as a Favorite for reference.
Edit: looked at the link and am impressed.

darrin1200

Good to know. Thanks. Will click on the link and save as a Favorite for reference.
Edit: looked at the link and am impressed.
Yeah. He started off making pens, then got into the rings and stayed focused. Last time I talked to him, a couple of years back, everything is made either in house or local In Ottawa.

WriteON

I made a few 2 piece Press rings ...Very satisfied with result.
I'm considering trying a Screw together core. Other than cost any comments? Thanks, Frank

RunnerVince

I'm considering trying a Screw together core. Other than cost any comments? Thanks, Frank
I've done several of the threaded two-piece cores, and I've generally been very happy. When done right, the seam on the interior is visible, but you can't feel it. It's important to get the thickness of the blank just right, however.

If you leave your blank too thick, you can't fully screw the two halves together (or risk damage to your blank), and then you can feel the seam between the two core halves. Plus, any gap between the two halves can fill with dirt/grime with normal wear, so you want to make sure you fully seat the two halves.

If you get the blank too thin, then you'll see a gap between the blank and the sides of the channel on the top of the core. You could address this with various types of inlay to fill the gap, but I much prefer for any inlays to be part of the original plan rather than an unplanned fix.

A little patience is all you need here, however. Once I've got a good fit for the ring core (I use a boring tool on the lathe), I remove the bulk of the thickness on the lathe, then fine-tune off the lathe with a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface.

RunnerVince

I also recommend using an adhesive with an open time of at least a few minutes on the actual threads during assembly. I've made it work with thick CA, but that's pushing it, and I've had to soak the whole mess (blank and core) in acetone because I accidentally cross-threaded on assembly or because the glue set up while I was twisting the two halves together.

I don't think Gorilla glue is a good adhesive for the rings because it expands, and the blanks get so incredibly thin. A five-minute epoxy might be a better option, though as I said I haven't tried it...mainly because I don't do a lot of rings, and I don't use the epoxy for anything else.

Woodchipper

Re: RunnerVince's reply, my first fishing rod kit had 5 minute epoxy for the cork grip. I barely got it in position as the epoxy started setting up. I now use Devcon Two Ton epoxy for most gluing with epoxy as it has a working time of about 30 minutes. Lots of time to position parts without the rush and making a mistake. BTW, used DTT for building golf clubs...take a lot of punishment.

Top Bottom