Rikon Drive Belt Change

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocSida

I am trying to replace the drive belt on my 70-105 Rikon mini lathe.
I have followed the instructions in the manual. The last instruction tells me to cautiously tap the pulley drive towards the tail stock.
It's not budging and I am afraid to hit it harder.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Not sure how to state this without it being taken wrong, but does it have a set screw? Is it loose? IF not, it needs to be loosened.

How old is your lathe? IF it is a year or two old, it should come loose easily; if it is 3 years or more, dust and grim build up could be causing it.

2. Spray with some liquid wrench (or WD-40) and let it sit for a couple of hours.

3. I'm not the one to recommend tapping or not tapping. I am mechanically inclined as I grew up around motors, pulleys, sprockets, shafts motors etc. What is light tapping to one person - is hard tapping to others. I don't know how hard or light "cautiously tap" is to you. I would tap stuck pulleys on one side and go around tapping in different spots until I could see it moving even a small amount. Then back and forth. For me, instead of tapping with a hammer, I use a flat ended punch that doesn't make dents and put it to the pulley and tap it. Go around and tap it in different places until it comes loose.

ebill

I am trying to replace the drive belt on my 70-105 Rikon mini lathe. I have followed the instructions in the manual. The last instruction tells me to cautiously tap the pulley drive towards the tail stock. It's not budging and I am afraid to hit it harder.

- I looked at the Rikon instructions and it only mentions the set screws on the spindle hand wheel and on the spindle pulley. If those are out you should be good to go.

- having said that I went down this road on my Nova Comet II. "Just tap it" ... yeah, sure. So I got a pc of wood to put against the end of the spindle and working my way through 3 different hammers it finally came loose. "Tapping" = Beat the snot out of it. Changed belt and the 'tapped' it back in. Once replaced, obviously my 'tapping' had introduced a death wobble of run out. Several weeks and new parts later after it made a visit to NovaTech service center in FL, its good as new. Lesson learned. Next time I need a new belt, I am heading over to my mechanics and begging 5 min on his bearing press to push out and reinstall the spindle. Wish I'd thought of that the first time .....

- TL:DR .... don't "tap" it out. Go find a mechanic to press it out/in for you. Even if you have to pay them a few bucks it would less painful than replacing the spindle.

- ebill

Top Bottom