Ribbon Boxes Finished

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Finally have a method that is repeatable and accurate. To me, these boxes are not successful unless the ribbons line up no matter which way you put the top on. These do, I'm happy to report. The lids fit well with no slop, and the separation between the top and bottom is very tight. Miters came out very well after I ditched the electronic angle finder and went old school with a small tight angle triangle. I also bought a full kerf premium crosscut blade that will be dedicated for miter cuts. Thin kerf is fine most of the time, but I feel I was getting some deflection. I found if these boxes are out of square, even just a little, they just won't turn out to my satisfaction. All of these are lined top and bottom with blue velvet. Comments and critiques are welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_4088.jpeg
    IMG_4088.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4089.jpeg
    IMG_4089.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4085.jpeg
    IMG_4085.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4086.jpeg
    IMG_4086.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4091.jpeg
    IMG_4091.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4090.jpeg
    IMG_4090.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

Gorgeous work.

My dad inherited an old lion trimmer from his stepfather that was used for moulding in the houses he worked on. I use that to do final miter shaves after I cut the initial on the chopsaw. Always come out perfectly. Dedicated tools take up space, but they do their jobs so well that the space is justified.

I also used it to accidentally cut off half of a fingernail when I blindly grabbed for it once.

jttheclockman

Ken I looked forward to your completion of these and your progress to address your problems which had mentioned. Have to say some of the best I have seen. The things I notice were the miters are dead nuts. Not really easy to do and you are correct, thin blades are nice but you will get deflection especially cutting anything with deep grain. Perfect. Next this I like in the use of the maple insert to keep boxes square and register the lid to the bottom. It is clean and no need to add felt to it. because it makes its own statement. Perfect. The ribbons are well done and I can appreciate the work that went into them. Well proportioned to fit the box. Perfect. So my score for this project is a PERFECT 10. Well done.

Now for my questions if you do not mind. When you made the bottom for the box, did you rabbit it on or did you dado it in? Then when you added the top portion did you glue to your side walls and then cut the lid off where you wanted the height to be. If so did you use the bandsaw or the tablesaw with a jig? Finally what did you do for a finish? I am guessing dipped in Danish oil after all assembled.

I would like to thank you for the replys and also for the inspiration to do this project as my next group of projects to get away from pen making. Pen making is fun but I am getting a little fatigued even though I have so many more ideas I want to try on them. I will pick that up again maybe in the fall. This looks like a nice challenge for a change.

A+++

KenB259

Ken I looked forward to your completion of these and your progress to address your problems which had mentioned. Have to say some of the best I have seen. The things I notice were the miters are dead nuts. Not really easy to do and you are correct, thin blades are nice but you will get deflection especially cutting anything with deep grain. Perfect. Next this I like in the use of the maple insert to keep boxes square and register the lid to the bottom. It is clean and no need to add felt to it. because it makes its own statement. Perfect. The ribbons are well done and I can appreciate the work that went into them. Well proportioned to fit the box. Perfect. So my score for this project is a PERFECT 10. Well done.

Now for my questions if you do not mind. When you made the bottom for the box, did you rabbit it on or did you dado it in? Then when you added the top portion did you glue to your side walls and then cut the lid off where you wanted the height to be. If so did you use the bandsaw or the tablesaw with a jig? Finally what did you do for a finish? I am guessing dipped in Danish oil after all assembled.

I would like to thank you for the replys and also for the inspiration to do this project as my next group of projects to get away from pen making. Pen making is fun but I am getting a little fatigued even though I have so many more ideas I want to try on them. I will pick that up again maybe in the fall. This looks like a nice challenge for a change.

A+++
John, the bottoms are inserted into dado'd sllots and put into place when the box is glued together. The top is simply glued on top. I was cutting rabbits and setting it in a little, but I've come to realize, that isn't needed. I separate the top from the bottom on my table saw. Cutting each side just shy of all the way through, then believe it or not, I finish the cut with an exacto knife. A technique I found online, it works perfectly. The little bit that's left takes but a couple minutes to sand off. The finish is Minwax's tung oil finish, not a true tung oil finish, but has become a favorite for me. Looking forward to your version.

jttheclockman

Excellent Ken Yes , I will probably make mine basically with the same construction because it is easy when you set up once and make a few. Well this will be a hard act to follow but I am seriously going to try. Have another project I want to incorporate while I am doing box detail that I really have been wanting to try. These will look cool and will go with a theme of mine. Thanks again and I am sure you will be making many more.

jttheclockman

Sorry one other question, what size did you finally settle on? You have sold these before so is there a preference by people out there for height and all other dimensions?

KenB259

Sorry one other question, what size did you finally settle on? You have sold these before so is there a preference by people out there for height and all other dimensions?
I make them 6 x 6 and 3 inches hiigh, not counting the bow. I've only ever made square ones. For the wood thickness, I've made both 3/8 and 1/2. These last ones were all 1/2.

KMCloonan

Stunning boxes Ken. Thanks for sharing. I look at the first picture, and admire it, then went on to the next picture, and liked that one even more, and so on...

All of the boxes are heirloom quality - but I especially like the box with the purpleheart and rounded over edges.

KenB259

Stunning boxes Ken. Thanks for sharing. I look at the first picture, and admire it, then went on to the next picture, and liked that one even more, and so on...

All of the boxes are heirloom quality - but I especially like the box with the purpleheart and rounded over edges.
Thanks Alan, actually that's not purpleheart it is aromatic red cedar.

howsitwork

Ken

do you put the felt in BEFORE or AFTER you put the linings in place?

I think they look wonderful but wonder how they'd seem with a nice Mid racing green lining instead of blue? They use british racing green linings in tool boxes over here and it appeals more to my eye .

KenB259

Ken

do you put the felt in BEFORE or AFTER you put the linings in place?

I think they look wonderful but wonder how they'd seem with a nice Mid racing green lining instead of blue? They use british racing green linings in tool boxes over here and it appeals more to my eye .
I cut a thin piece of Baltic plywood to just fit into the top and bottom and then wrap the velvet over it, kind of like upholstery on a chair. I glue the top one in but the bottom I just press it in. No need to glue the bottom if you get a nice snug fit. The sky's the limit on what fabric you use. I just happened to have the blue.

MPVic

Finally have a method that is repeatable and accurate. To me, these boxes are not successful unless the ribbons line up no matter which way you put the top on. These do, I'm happy to report. The lids fit well with no slop, and the separation between the top and bottom is very tight. Miters came out very well after I ditched the electronic angle finder and went old school with a small tight angle triangle. I also bought a full kerf premium crosscut blade that will be dedicated for miter cuts. Thin kerf is fine most of the time, but I feel I was getting some deflection. I found if these boxes are out of square, even just a little, they just won't turn out to my satisfaction. All of these are lined top and bottom with blue velvet. Comments and critiques are welcomed.
Stunning, absolutely stunning!!!!

jrista

Darn impressive, Ken! Those came out superbly. I really love the contrast the blue velvet adds to the final result. Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your plans as well. That was very kind!

KenB259

Darn impressive, Ken! Those came out superbly. I really love the contrast the blue velvet adds to the final result. Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your plans as well. That was very kind!
I might be wrong, but I think those plans were put out be popular woodworking, I cant take credit for the design

Top Bottom