Restoring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

At the Atlanta Woodworkers show back in April I bought an old beat up Charles Buck Chisel. The handle was split and hammered to death, rusted and the edge had large gaps in it. Loving old tools I gave two bucks for it. I cleaned it up, removed as much rust as possible without getting into the metal, reground the edge and turned a new handle. The handle is hand push, not for mallet. I felt good about giving this fine old chisel a new life. Does anyone else enjoy old stuff like this?

Ben

Attachments

• Charles Buck I.jpg
    Charles Buck I.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Charles Buck II.jpg
    Charles Buck II.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Charles Buck III.jpg
    Charles Buck III.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Charles Buck IIII.jpg
    Charles Buck IIII.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 186

dogcatcher

Most of my tools are old, some handed down, some flea market or garage sale finds. I have the new stuff, but I prefer to save some piece of "old iron" to use. I have about 25 old cast iron lathes, in all states of disrepair and running. Only 2 of them are hooked up to motors, but I also have one motor that is my power unit for all of the other lathes.

KenV

Amen!! Even one that is too far gone for cutting can become a respectable cabinet scraper.

Looks good.

Ever looked at what Jim Thompson (Old Millrat) did. Will get you link if interested. Jim was (RIP) a mill Wright before he retired and a tool rebuilder after that.

Top Bottom