Resin color question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

2good2burn

ok, so new to casting resin. I found a few VERY detailed articles that showed and explained the casting process. It was excellent. So I have all my supplies, colors, etc and have tried a few. I can get one solid color, but why can I not get the whole 'swirl' affect? I guess I just figured if you mix one powder in good, the next one won't mix with it - I know, duh! So how does one make a multi color swirl, are the colors added in different stages? Do I have to use powder for the first color and liquid for the swirl? Also, I read the white pearl color is used ALOT, but am I not using enough, because it doesn't seem to make a difference in my color when it's complete. Can someone give me suggestions?
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Mix the colors seperatly into two (or more) cups of PR. Pour the first color into the mold, then gently drizzle the second color over/into the first color. You can also use a toothpick to swirl the two colors together.

Narwhale

For the methods I use, the swirls come reaaly naturally.
I use Silmar 41 Clear Polyester Casting Resin and their catalist that comes with it. Colors are obtained by pouring some of he resin into a 3 oz Dixie cup, then adding a little bit of powered mica and mixing witha wood stirrer. I mix all the colors to be used, then add some catalist to each and remix.
Use 2 sizes of PVC pipe for molds, with the bottom sealed with tape. I often start with bottom 1/2" one color, then add another color, then another for a while, and then a layer or tow of the original colors. Have a peice of 14 guage copper wire about 10" long hat is put inot the mold, lowered to the bottom, then rotates while being pulled back up. I wipe the wire off into the top of the mold. The simple insertion and pulling out mix the colors. Sometimes the copper wire is rotates, and sometimes it is not very straight.
Every blank comes out different, but beautifull.
The white pearl mica power will make it's own swirls, and is beautiful by itself, aor with anything else. Black likewise.
Sometimes, I pour two colors at one time, then wire it.
Just do a couple and see what happens.
Rich S.

2good2burn

Narwhale / Rich S.
When pouring into the PVC pipe, do I need to let the first color sit for awhile before I add the next, so on and so forth? Also, what kind of tape is good for the bottom of the PVC? I don't want to end up with a puddle on my floor.....

Narwhale

2good2burn,
I can only write what works for me.
I mix the colors in the resin, then add catalist. Don't measure, just squirt it in. Been pouring in 90deg. F temperature, about 90% humidity in Houston.
I start with about 6 colors, and extra large batch of white and black. I just pour, and pour, and pour. If I stop or go to slow, it sets up in my Dixie cup.
There is another question on this forum about swirls and how their colors get mixed up and muddled.
(http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27645)
I do not know what the difference is, perhaps it is the mica powders used for color, perhaps the extra catalist and the short 10 to 15 minute working time.
See also:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24915&SearchTerms=swirl
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24144&SearchTerms=swirl
Tpae used is some blue painting 3M tape left over from painting. And yes, some leak. Found out a aluminum foil "bowl" under the molds are needed to contain the leask. Some people apparently use corks or stoppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom