Replacing nibs on Fountain pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sebrich

I'm new to pen turning and turning in general, but I got into pen turning and enjoy it a lot. I want to start making fountain pens but I'm not sure how great the nibs are. Am I able to replace the nib and how do I found what nibs are compatible with the pen kit I want? This is the pen kit that I like - https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKEL2F2.html

Thank you in advance
- Sebastian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

I think these ones (column on the right) would fit, drop a word to make sure : Size 5 Bock Nibs
Most of the time, you will still have to adjust the tines and maybe hone it a bit. But it will be nothing compared to adjusting a standard IPG nib.

jsolie

Hi Sebastian,

First, welcome from Southern California!

The kit's specs show that it takes a #5 nib. The two nib sizes that I've come across are #5 and #6. #5 is the smaller of the two. Both #5 and #6 nibs are available is all sorts of materials with different platings.

I've swapped out the stock #5 medium point nibs on many fountain pens with #5 medium, fine and extra fine nibs that I've gotten from Classic Nib as well as Exotic Blanks.

The pen I have with me today is a Gentleman's fountain pen where I swapped out the stock medium point nib with a #6 Bock fine point nib.

Hope this helps!

Sebrich

Hi Sebastian,

First, welcome from Southern California!

The kit's specs show that it takes a #5 nib. The two nib sizes that I've come across are #5 and #6. #5 is the smaller of the two. Both #5 and #6 nibs are available is all sorts of materials with different platings.

I've swapped out the stock #5 medium point nibs on many fountain pens with #5 medium, fine and extra fine nibs that I've gotten from Classic Nib as well as Exotic Blanks.

The pen I have with me today is a Gentleman's fountain pen where I swapped out the stock medium point nib with a #6 Bock fine point nib.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it. What do you prefer more Classic Nib or Exotic Blanks?

Skie_M

The Elite 2 is a decent writing instrument ... I've made 2 of them, and found that they both wrote satisfactorily right after completion, with no real adjustments being needed. I haven't sold either, as the people in my area just aren't impressed with all the plastic parts.... they want metal!

I find, however, that the price point for these lower end fountain pens from PSI are really nice. If they could find a middle ground, incorporating all metal parts with the styling of the lower end kits and reach a compromise on price, say 20 dollars a kit? I'ld certainly buy, and told Levi that myself. :)

Top Bottom