Renaissance Wax and the British Museum Connection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi folks. As many of you know, I'm a user of and believer in Renaissance Wax. In trying to make sure that I do not misinform people about finishes used in my pen making, I contacted The British Museum and asked for their comments. Here is the response I received today.

quote:Dear Mr Metcalf,

My apologies for taking some time to reply to your enquiry regarding Picreator Enterprises' 'Renaissance Wax', I have been making some enquiries amongst my colleagues in Conservation here at the Museum. This product is indeed used in the Department on certain materials and types of object. It is not employed very frequently</u> and is used very sparingly, but it has some applications under certain circumstances</u> and has been applied to various types of historical metalwork (such as arms and armour), some types of wood and leather and some types of stone.

The product's connection with the British Museum seems to originate in the early seventies. It is mentioned as a footnote</u> to an appendix describing recipes for microcrystalline polishing waxes in 'The Conservation of Antiquities and Works of Art' (2nd ed.), by Plenderleith and Werner (former Keepers of the British Museum Research Laboratory), Oxford University Press, London, 1971.

Yours sincerely,

Marilyn Hockey

Head of Ceramics, Glass and Metals Section (temp.)
Dept. of Conservation, Documentation and Science
The British Museum
Great Russell Street
London
WC1B 3DG
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)20 7323 8344
Fax: +44 (0)20 7323 8636

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
To me it means that I'll quit stressing that it is used by The British Museum to protect their wooden and metal pieces--since it is not employed very frequently.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You mean I bought a small can each from BB and CS for nothing?
(as long as it slows down the brass from tarnishing I'll be happy, will it?)
Both ordered the same same day.CS said it couldn't go by priority mail, BB said it could.A little test to determine where the next order will be placed[;)])

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Eagle--the stuff works. I don't care who uses it, I just don't want misinformation being spread. I know I've read about TBM using it on at least 4 different forums. FYI, I sent the same question to the Smithsonian. I'll post a reply when and if I get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom