Removing fine scratches with a heat gun? Anyone actually try it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am not encouraging this practice, but watched some videos. I have never tried it. I have use a flame to polish ends of Plexiglas - separate topic. I am not suggesting that either.

Anyone try this on non-woods, CA finishes, etc.?

Some warnings and a note:
  • I don't know if it is safe.
  • I don't know the flashpoint of the aforementioned materials.
  • I am not encouraging anyone to try this.
  • I am not looking for a pyrotechnics lesson; I'm am looking for someone ACTUAL experience with this.

Simple questions:
1. Have you tried it (this is a yes or no question). If no, thank you for reading and be well?
2. If yes, were you please with the results (also yes or no)?
3. If you were pleased, and there were no causalities, collateral damage, you still have your eyebrows and can breathe without being connected to a machine, etc. what was the make and model of the heat gun assuming the reprocess has not impaired your cognitive function.

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day!

PS. There's a typo up there, but can't fix it. The last bullet should say "someone with actual"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Never tried on the resin made "plastic", but it works on the extruded acrylics and on Delrin. But then the acrylics are subjected ti crackling if exposed to alcohol.

More4dan

Let me know if you figure out how to make this work. If you survive The experiment, I'd love to see this work for the INSIDE of a drilled acrylic blank.

Danny

More4dan

I do have some cutoffs, a heat gun, and a MAPP torch With time on my hands. Might make for an interesting afternoon.

larryc

I am not encouraging this practice, but watched some videos. I have never tried it. I have use a flame to polish ends of Plexiglas - separate topic. I am not suggesting that either.

Anyone try this on non-woods, CA finishes, etc.?

Some warnings and a note:
  • I don't know if it is safe.
  • I don't know the flashpoint of the aforementioned materials.
  • I am not encouraging anyone to try this.
  • I am not looking for a pyrotechnics lesson; I'm am looking for someone ACTUAL experience with this.

Simple questions:
1. Have you tried it (this is a yes or no question). If no, thank you for reading and be well?
2. If yes, were you please with the results (also yes or no)?
3. If you were pleased, and there were no causalities, collateral damage, you still have your eyebrows and can breathe without being connected to a machine, etc. what was the make and model of the heat gun assuming the reprocess has not impaired your cognitive function.

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day!

PS. There's a typo up there, but can't fix it. The last bullet should say "someone with actual"
Not seeing a link to the process.

More4dan

Here is a video of a flame polished duck call,
Remember this is real acrylic, not a cast resin. Also do some research on "flame polishing and alcohol"

Very Cool! I mean Hot! Something to try on my next acrylic demonstrator. Should probably thread afterwards though. Now to figure out a poor boy way to copy that torch.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mick

Tony I've seen videos of these epoxy countertops and after they pour them they use a torch and level it out and remove bubbles. I wonder if it'd work for epoxy already set up?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TonyL

Tony I've seen videos of these epoxy countertops and after they pour them they use a torch and level it out and remove bubbles. I wonder if it'd work for epoxy already set up?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thank you. I watched about 10 videos on YouTube. - from removing scratches om plexiglas to car bumpers to motorcycle helmets. The results weren't bad. I thought it may work for those 2000 or 3000 + scratches. I haven't tried it yet. Thanks again.

Top Bottom