Regrinding skew on sorby pro edge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Niels

Hello,
I bought a sorby pro edge and a skew jig to go with it. Now I hold my Hamlet skew on the sorby and the angle is way off. It's so much off it makes me doubt what to do. Grind it down or send the jig back and do it from hand.

I could use some advice on this one.

Attachments

• 20220802_113205.jpg
    20220802_113205.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 20220802_113154.jpg
    20220802_113154.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Niels

I dont know what angle I want. But the jig is a fixed angle. I was just very surprised about the difference and it made me wonder what is normal and what to do. The angle I have is the only one I know

I dont know what angle I want. But the jig is a fixed angle. I was just very surprised about the difference and it made me wonder what is normal and what to do. The angle I have is the only one I know

Skews are similar to bowl gouges in that there are different angles they can be grinded too. I do not know which angle is "better" than others as it comes down to personal preference and what you are use to working with.

Maybe verify with the jig maker what the angle is and see if they can answer your questions to alleviate you concerns.

JimB

There are 2 angles for a skew. The point to point angle should be 70*. Yours doesn't look to be at that but the jig is most likely to be at 70*

the second angle is the bevel measured as an included angle. This is where personal preference comes in. mine is at 25*. Most people are somewhere between 25 and 40.

KenB259

You really don't need to put that on the Sorby unless your intending to re profile it. Especially an oval one like you have. If you are not extremely proficient, I can almost guarantee you will ruin that skew.

Niels

That's not 100% clear to me. Meaby it's a language thing.
So the angle to which I'm referring must be 70*
The other angle is the angle of the point? The sorby says it should be made at 15* so together makes 30 then?

Valleyboy

I have the pro edge and use skews a lot. If you're already proficient in using your oval skew with that angle across the edge then maybe best not to change it. You could make a new jig or, a much easier option, you could make a little spacer that butts up to the jig you have that will sharpen your skew to maintain the current angle. You just need a small piece of 3mm or 5mm ply cut into a wedge with the compensating angle. It works fine as there isn't a lot of lateral force applied when you're sharpening. (I do this myself).

Alternatively make the decision now that you're going to adopt the angle that the jig suggests, put some 60 grit on the Pro Edge and regrind the skew using the jig (it doesn't take long). Then each time you need to sharpen you're good to go.

Cheers
Ash

KenB259

Ok. I will wait with it then till I'm clear what I want. I don't wanna ruin my skew.
Those oval skews are a bear to sharpen. I have one that I almost have back to normal. I have the ProEdge too so rest assured I am talking from experience.

leehljp

Member Liaison
That's not 100% clear to me. Meaby it's a language thing.
So the angle to which I'm referring must be 70*
The other angle is the angle of the point? The sorby says it should be made at 15* so together makes 30 then?
Don't get discouraged over the numbers and grinding. Yes, it might be a little overwhelming or even a little intimidating at first. But stick to it. Back off for a day, and then come back and re-read this thread, and re-read the instructions. And you may need to do that again, but it will come to you and you will be glad you stuck to it.

In fact, the ones who have the most difficult understanding, and then come through it, - they become the best teachers.

Niels

Ok. Thanks. I will think about it a bit and then decide. Meaby putting it in the right angle which is given with the sorby is the easiest way to go. Then you always have it available and a good jig. Put a 600 grit belt in it and that's it

Dannv

Poke around on Youtube and watch videos on using and sharpening skews. That might help you figure out what you want. I ended up going for a radiused skew and sharpen it by hand since no jig is going to give me the radius.

RunnerVince

Here's a basic drawing of the angles we're talking about. On the left is the angle that the chisel takes its name from, which is typically 70*. On the right is the bevel angle, which ranges between 25* and 45* included angle, or 12.5* to 22.5* per bevel.

Attachments

• skew angles.png
    skew angles.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 89

WriteON

Oval's are hard to work with. I use flat skews. Regardless. Not sure what you are turning.... I only turn pens/stoppers. Have no idea what angle I'm looking for. I simply get the skew sharp and use it. Experiment...can always be resharpened and shaped...Just do not over heat the skew.

randyrls

Neils; This video is by Mike Waldt. He explains the use of the Pro Edge. At about 7:15 into the video he describes how to set the angle of the platform. It is in English so not sure how much help it could be. I may ask Kai if he uses the Pro Edge and can call you.

Niels

Thanks I already found this one. The angle is there. I could not do much due to a broken lathe and holidays for the children here but thank god school started again.
I have an oval skew chisel and somehow I get a bit of a curve when I grind it. I think it's because I don't keep it 100% flat because of the oval shape. But I kind of like the curve in the edge. I think I could take it out by now but I'm keeping it for now

Top Bottom