Reducing hemp wood chipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I've had success with hemp wood having made and sold pens, bottle stoppers, razors and shave sets with hemp wood brush. That said, it has been like a tight rope turning every one. Diamond knurl ballpoints have a very tiny wood layer left after turning. Hemp wood was almost always a failure and disappointing to me as I tossed the blank in the trash.

New idea to me (if you had it first ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘).

I cut the blanks fairly small, just about 5/16+. After carefully drilling the center and epoxy gluing the tubes I covered the hemp wood with thin (5cps) CA. Yes, my hands have CA residue. Next time I'll use the gloves 3 feet from that work space.

I let it cure for 30 minutes and flush SANDED the ends. I carefully turned with TBC bushings. I tried my round carbide cutter for most of turning. Very slow cuts that were shallow were the rule. I finished with a 2" radius carbide. No tear outs!!! No pens in the trash. See if it helps you.

Attachments

• IMG_3963.jpeg
    IMG_3963.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 95
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

I've had success with hemp wood having made and sold pens, bottle stoppers, razors and shave sets with hemp wood brush. That said, it has been like a tight rope turning every one. Diamond knurl ballpoints have a very tiny wood layer left after turning. Hemp wood was almost always a failure and disappointing to me as I tossed the blank in the trash.

I cut the blanks fairly small, just about 5/16+. After carefully drilling the center and epoxy gluing the tubes I covered the hemp wood with thin (5cps) CA. Yes, my hands have CA residue. Next time I'll use the gloves 3 feet from that work space.

I let it cure for 30 minutes and flush SANDED the ends. I carefully turned with TBC bushings. I tried my round carbide cutter for most of turning. Very slow cuts that were shallow were the rule. I finished with a 2" radius carbide. No tear outs!!! No pens in the trash. See if it helps you.
Mark: For me I just stabilize first and then turn, higher speed shear cutting with very sharp SKEW, works great, no sanding required.

mmayo

Am I reading that correctly ? You are drilling a 1/4 inch hole in a blank that is just over 5/16 square ?
My "Sierra" pens are now diamond knurl ballpoints. I make blanks less than 5/8" and close to 1/2". Sorry about any confusion. I regularly have turners wonder if it will work and it does every time. I drill in the lathe with excellent bits and patience. I hate to have huge blanks when most of it will have to be turned off so I saw it off first.

1080Wayne

My "Sierra" pens are now diamond knurl ballpoints. I make blanks less than 5/8" and close to 1/2". Sorry about any confusion. I regularly have turners wonder if it will work and it does every time. I drill in the lathe with excellent bits and patience. I hate to have huge blanks when most of it will have to be turned off so I saw it off first.
Thank you , that makes me feel better . I also often use 5/8 or 1/2 , but but have never done a hemp one .

BULLWINKLE

Negative rake carbide chisels are less aggressive and have less blow outs or cracking. Downside, they take longer to turn as they are less aggressive.

KateHarrow

Side note - the skew cut tends to be my weapon of choice for HempWood. I use a tshadow magic skew (because I'm lazy about sharpening) and it works wonders on the stuff

mmayo

Side note - the skew cut tends to be my weapon of choice for HempWood. I use a tshadow magic skew (because I'm lazy about sharpening) and it works wonders on the stuff
I had a magic skew and gave it away. I now just tilt my carbide tools to get exactly the same effect. I also use a real skew chisel when the tear out is obvious or I want smoothing.

I do however believe in using whatever works for you.

jrista

Well, your efforts paid off. Two beautiful pens!

I'm curious about the blanks. When you first start out, are they just the hemp wood...no stabilization resin or anything like that (i.e. cactus juice?) Or are they stabilized, and even with stabilization, it still needed the CA dousing?

I really like the look of the final result. Beautiful. Would like to give it a try. I picked up a stablization chamber, and just need a vac pump. I wonder if stabilization might help, if they aren't already stabilized.

mmayo

Well, your efforts paid off. Two beautiful pens!

I'm curious about the blanks. When you first start out, are they just the hemp wood...no stabilization resin or anything like that (i.e. cactus juice?) Or are they stabilized, and even with stabilization, it still needed the CA dousing?

I really like the look of the final result. Beautiful. Would like to give it a try. I picked up a stablization chamber, and just need a vac pump. I wonder if stabilization might help, if they aren't already stabilized.
Raw hemp at start. The thin CA seems to be quick (30 min or less), cheap (far less than buying stabilization equipment and cactus juice). Each to his own; I don't have that stuff but I do have CA.

Top Bottom