Realizing that I really need to think through all the steps BEFORE mixing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

So I am mostly clueless with casting. No pressure pot or anything. I made a pinecone egg a while ago, and that is the extent of my experience. I *should* have learned from that. Removing moisture, or at least sealing the wood before casting is vital.

I am making a shift knob for my friend's birthday, and decided to cast his youtube channel's logo into it. I have been fighting almost every part of this project, so I'm not terribly surprised at this rookie mistake. I set the coin with CA glue to keep it still during the pour, had the heat gun ready to go, and got to mixing. The second I poured the alumilite, I realized I didn't treat the raw wood, and the bubbles forming confirmed it. Heat gun helped for 95% of them, but it got too hot and set the surface with a skin and started cooking the edges (I held the gun about 10" from it). I used the mixing stick to push on the skin to adjust the bubbles and get them to rise a bit, but there were still a couple coming out of the wood, even after a half hour.

Oh well. I have a week til his birthday, so I'm not going to remove all this and try again. I'll just hope that most of the problems get turned away when I go to finish it tomorrow night.

The swirly shadows are mostly just the deformations from pushing on the skin. The resin was pretty clear before that. The wood is katalox.

Attachments

• received_430042002452351.jpeg
    received_430042002452351.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 92
  • received_1508049402955652.jpeg
    received_1508049402955652.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 81

Drewby108

So I have very little patience for obvious mistakes that I make. I waited six or seven hours after the first casting, chucked it up on the lathe, then turned out the crappy resin. Stopped just short of the logo so I didn't mess that up, used a quick coat of thin CA to close up the fresh wood, then added more resin. I used the heat gun and mixing stick to flush out bubbles and ended up with a MUCH better clarity.

There are still a couple bubbles, but the biggest ones were alongside the coin with the logo, so I couldn't reach them.

Attachments

• received_1308656513242699.jpeg
    received_1308656513242699.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 76

randyrls

Andrew; I have a workflow. It is just a mental list at present. It consists of the things I have to check before proceeding to the next step.

Top Bottom