Re-purposed Wood Dinning Table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

New dinner table for my Sister. Delivered for a 4th of July Family get-together. The wood materials are 100% re-purposed and 90-95% re-claimed. The reclaimed wood is mostly Oak with a little bit of Pine(the table feet). The Oak and Pine are reclaimed from the renovation of a covered bridge located in Otway, Ohio. For additional details of the construction check out J&J WoodSmithing on Facebook(see my signature block). The back banding around the top and the legs is 1-1/2" steel angle iron around the table and 1-1/2" steel banding on the legs.

IMG_1179.jpg IMG_1171.jpg OtwayBridgeLumbr (1).jpg

Edit: added this pic to better show the legs.
IMG_1162.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

JD
Being someone who does a lot of flat work myself, all I can say is that is completely off the chart! From the reclamation to the milling to the design to the hardware....where do I stop? I like the way you combined the different textures and materials to come up with a great table. Sometimes a piece of work just grabs ya'..very, very impressed!
Cheers
Bob

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Beautiful job - +1 on all that Bob said (except I don't do much flat work anymore)

I like your shop too!

Skie_M

Should have entered this into the Summer Extravaganza Pen Stand competition!!

Ok, it IS rather large for a pen stand, and may not qualify because it can display more than 1 pen at a time, but really, folks, 4 days to go!!

JD Combs Sr

JD
Being someone who does a lot of flat work myself, all I can say is that is completely off the chart! From the reclamation to the milling to the design to the hardware....where do I stop? I like the way you combined the different textures and materials to come up with a great table. Sometimes a piece of work just grabs ya'..very, very impressed!
Cheers
Bob
Thanks Bob, appreciate all the comments.

Those look amazing! Wow, am I jealous.
Thanks Dave.

Beautiful job - +1 on all that Bob said (except I don't do much flat work anymore)

I like your shop too!
Thanks Edgar, BTW I have a tour of the shop posted over on the "Lumber Jocks" site if you are interested in the rest of it.

Great work.
Thanks Jim.

That's awesome! !!!!
Thanks John.

Should have entered this into the Summer Extravaganza Pen Stand competition!!
Thanks Gregory, :) wish I had thought of that, love it.:wink:

Ok, it IS rather large for a pen stand, and may not qualify because it can display more than 1 pen at a time, but really, folks, 4 days to go!!

low_48

Do you have enough room for all that oak to shrink and expand with seasonal movement? 6' of oak will probably move 3/8" here in Central IL.

JD Combs Sr

Do you have enough room for all that oak to shrink and expand with seasonal movement? 6' of oak will probably move 3/8" here in Central IL.
Thanks for the heads up Rich, but nope, didn't even consider shrinkage/expansion for this old lumber. Sure hope that wasn't a mistake, my Sister will kill me.:eek:

That is beautiful JD, no other words can describe it.
Thanks for sharing.

Bob.
Thanks Bob, I hope it stays that way, see Rich's post above.:confused:

low_48

Thanks for the heads up Rich, but nope, didn't even consider shrinkage/expansion for this old lumber. Sure hope that wasn't a mistake, my Sister will kill me.:eek:

That is beautiful JD, no other words can describe it.
Thanks for sharing.

Bob.
Thanks Bob, I hope it stays that way, see Rich's post above.:confused:

It's that old commercial line, "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!" Wood moves, always does. Nothing stops it, not even steel. Since you built in the summer, it's not likely to expand, BUT come December/February, it will shrink when the furnace starts running. Something is going to give. Sometimes it may just bow something, but most likely there will be some cracked wood. It does have that rustic look, so some cracking wouldn't ruin it in my mind. Just as a note, I've been building furniture for 40 years. Worst case I ever saw, my son's Godfather build a white oak roll top desk. He built the pull out writing board with the length of the boards running from front to back. It was built over the winter. When spring came, the writing board was stuck in the desk. By July, the writing board had shoved the side of the desk off the desk framing. I had to wait till winter to get the board out without more damage. Rebuilt the writing board so the expansion was from front to back. When it expanded then, it just protruded out the front of the desk. Sorry, that story got a little long!

Last edited:
Top Bottom