Nest of Bowls. - "Granny Smith" Apple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Hey George, This is one of those very green blanks I got from you a few years ago. I cored it into 3 pieces and it has been packed away ever since. Drying, Drying in a box of shavings.
They were quite out of round but no cracks so this is how they finished up.
Sanded to 400 and then friction polished with Shellawax Glow.
I love the colours.
Big one is 9 x 3.5inches, middle one is 7.25 x 2.5inches and baby is 5 x 2inches.
Thank you for looking and I hope you like them.:)
C & C Welcome.

Bob.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 149
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom T

Great looking bowls Bob. The wood is beautiful. They look so light weight. Great turn as always. Thanks for sharing. By the way, the vase I have from you is looking lovely.

robutacion

Stunning Bob...!

I recall those blanks well and, I'm surprised that only the middle cored piece, got the most spalting, the blank looked extremely spalted all over but, it is what it is, huh..???:)

The most amazing thing to me was the fact that, the tree had such a hidder size that most Apple trees I ever seen.

No cracks...?? wow, your drying method seems to work good...!

Keep up the good work, my friend...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Skie_M

He mentioned drying them in the shavings ... when packed up like that in a brown paper bag and turned every now and then to prevent mildew and fungus growth, the wood in the bowls has a chance to dry evenly and slowly, which prevents checks and cracks from forming.

Another method often used in conjunction with this method of drying is to boil your green turned bowl blank .... 1 hour for every inch of wall thickness. Doing this normalizes the wood's water content and opens the pores, allowing the wood to very rapidly lose excess water in the first few weeks without damage, and then it continues drying as normal with much lower chance to crack and check.

Top Bottom