Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPauli

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenPauli

2005319152718_rattlesnakeslimline.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Nice pen, Paul. I really like the snake skin pens. Is it cast in PR or did you build up CA over the skin. I cast my skins in PR and have not tried the CA build up yet. Keep 'em coming.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by PenPauli
<br />

PenPauli

This was purchased as a precast pen blank. I would love to learn how to cast them myself. What do you use for a form. Do you use the conduit pipe or did you make a wooden cast?

its_virgil

Go to our homepage and scroll dowm to the bottom to the partial list of articles and there is an article by Kenn Osborne entitled "acrylic casting molds". I use a small plastic tub (tupperware type) that is just the right size for our pens. I get three half-blanks per cast. There is an excellent article on casting polyester resin in the files area of the yahoo penturners group. I will see if the author will allow me to post it in our archived articles.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by PenPauli
<br />This was purchased as a precast pen blank. I would love to learn how to cast them myself. What do you use for a form. Do you use the conduit pipe or did you make a wooden cast?

Thumbs

I've been wondering what a snake skin pen was; now, I know. How'd he do that? It's gotta be interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to try it myself. There're plenty of snakes out back but I don't want to get anywhere near them!

Thumbs

Hey! My wife just reminded me that snakes frequently shed their skins. Does you guys just pick up their cast offs and roll'em up or do you catch live ones and skin'em?

dougle40

Does you guys just pick up their cast offs and roll'em up or do you catch live ones and skin'em?

I don't think that a cast off (or shed) skin would work as there's never much color to them , mostly just clear and white .
Don't get me wrong , I'm NOT a "tree hugger" but I don't believe in killing anything just for a trophy , be it a head for the wall or a skin or pelt for something else .[:)]

its_virgil

As I've mentioned before, I get my skins from a snake dealer who raises and traps snakes for herpitariums and laboratories. The snakes that die naturally he skins, cures and gives the skins to me. I live in rattlesnake territory of Texas, and neighbors who kill rattlesnakes (I can't control what others do) will call me and I'll go and skin the snakes and cure the skin. One skin from a 2-3 ft. snake will make ten or so whole pens or 20 if I just use the top blank for the skin. The skin is glued to the brass tube and cast in polyester resin. Some glue the skin to a thinly turned piece of wood on the tube and apply multiple layers of CA to build up the pen. I prefer casting in PR.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thumbs

Hey, guys! I didn't mean to accuse anybody of doing anything untoward, here. I try to take it cool and easy. I used to be a "Hunter/Gatherer" myself (That's almost "a Given" here in Pa.) and I've dealt with lotsa "TreeHuggers" since I worked for an electric utility over 30 yrs. So I don't have a problem with using "nature around us"; I do have a problem with wasting our natural resouces though. (Sorry, I have to remember to stay down off my soapbox!)

What I started out to say was "Thanks" for giving back more info on the "process." That's what I really like about these forums, you range so far and wide! I'm impressed every time I look in here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom